Cagney's - No more online bookings (official)

insanemagnet

Thanks NCL for providing clarification for the change. From what I've read it seems like the change impacts people starting in July. Maybe this was put into place to give people time to cancel without penalty if they believe they do not like the change? It would make sense. That's just my thoughts, not facts.

However, what I do find amusing is everyone's complaining about a promotion NCL is running causing changes to UDP. They could elect to not run it and actually for me they have. Singles who book interior on the older ships at 200% are still excluded from these promotions even though it's one less person on the ship they have to feed. Studios are constantly left out of promotions. The OBC is laughable at what they give. I really would like to have compassion for all the people complaining about the UDP promotional changes but it's really hard.

I know NCL is following this thread since they posted here so NCL... stop excluding solo travelers! I'm all for this extended WAVE season stuff to end. The best promotion they've run yet is the buy one cruise and get one free (minus port charges and govt fees). I would like that one to return!

Hmm... on the one hand I am excited about a new menu but on the other hand I am very nervous about additional increases as well as issues with reservations.

Are there any other restaurants that you cannot make advance reservations for on a permanent basis? We have a group cruise for a wedding and we were going to treat the group to Cagney's on the night of the wedding. Increasing prices on top of the new 18% gratuity would really hit the budget. Without advance reservations I would imagine it would be difficult to accommodate a group for 20+ and I would prefer to have everything settled before we got on the ship anyway.

We don't sail until Jan 2016 so hopefully this is all figured out before then :confused:

Yes, "P" would be me. I actually saw a post by Wildeklove on the Booking Free Dining thread where she stated she had been told this by NCL. I asked her to clarify it there, and I don't think she ever responded.

I asked her again when she showed up on this thread, post # 83 I think but still no response.

I must have missed that post but I didn't want to name names so used your initial. LOL

Seems only time will tell at this point...however, something has to be up for them to not allow bookings after a certain date.

Harriet

<snip>

We have a group cruise for a wedding and we were going to treat the group to Cagney's on the night of the wedding. Increasing prices on top of the new 18% gratuity would really hit the budget. Without advance reservations I would imagine it would be difficult to accommodate a group for 20+ and I would prefer to have everything settled before we got on the ship anyway.

<snip>:confused:

If you are in a group - we have someone in our roll call who is in a group - she was able several months ago to call some NCL person who did groups and they booked all her dining then for her whole group - even before suites were able to book... so I would look into that - and she even got Cagney's - now her whole group has the free UDP that was given out some time ago - so don't know if that matters or not.

Singles who book interior on the older ships at 200% are still excluded from these promotions even though it's one less person on the ship they have to feed. Studios are constantly left out of promotions. The OBC is laughable at what they give. I really would like to have compassion for all the people complaining about the UDP promotional changes but it's really hard.

I know NCL is following this thread since they posted here so NCL... stop excluding solo travelers! I'm all for this extended WAVE season stuff to end. The best promotion they've run yet is the buy one cruise and get one free (minus port charges and govt fees). I would like that one to return!

So true.

I honestly feel this problem is specific to certain cruises where they may already be full. I had earlier booked the Tropicana for all nights to reserve space. Today I went back to my June 6th Getaway booking to book Cagney's, Moderno's and La Bistro. I couldn't book because of the prior reservations so I called NCL customer services. They did a wonderful job of cancelling the nights I had already booked and it was no problem to add Cagney's at all.

The thing of interest to me was on my confirmation. It is clearly shown as "gratuity", not a service charge or a convenience charge.

I honestly feel this problem is specific to certain cruises where they may already be full. I had earlier booked the Tropicana for all nights to reserve space. Today I went back to my June 6th Getaway booking to book Cagney's, Moderno's and La Bistro. I couldn't book because of the prior reservations so I called NCL customer services. They did a wonderful job of cancelling the nights I had already booked and it was no problem to add Cagney's at all.

The thing of interest to me was on my confirmation. It is clearly shown as "gratuity", not a service charge or a convenience charge.

It can't be the case. I tried to book first thing at the 100 day mark. We are in a suite and I have a hard time believing that every other suite on the ship booked out all the availability for the entire nine days on Easter Sunday. When I called the concierge line I was told Cagneys can't be booked in advance.

It can't be the case. I tried to book first thing at the 100 day mark. We are in a suite and I have a hard time believing that every other suite on the ship booked out all the availability for the entire nine days on Easter Sunday. When I called the concierge line I was told Cagneys can't be booked in advance.

If your cruise is 7-03 or after, you can no longer book Cagneys pre cruise. If it is pre 7-03 you can.

I feel quite the same way. But if these surprises keep coming we may cancel.

I have to say that we just might too. Booked on the Escape next year with the UDP but would be not happy is Cagny's vanished from the plan.

to reply to those who asked for me to do so, I think I have another post here clarifying my statement.

When I called NCL I was told I had to book Cagney's onboard. I assumed it was an extra charge based on what I read in the FAQ's for the UDP. I misread it because it states it is a $10 charge for a 2nd entree. I guess for those who want to try 2 main entrees they get charged more. The NCL rep did NOT say Cagney's would be an ala carte restaurant. I don't think the NCL rep actually knows anything more than we do at this point.

We can speculate as to why it was removed from pre-bookings. As a side note, La Cucina was not able to be booked online either but is available if you call in.

I did see a post by someone who mentioned that at Cagney's on one of their cruises that they found many tables empty that may indicate people made reservations but were no shows. If it is mostly UDP people doing this NCL may be trying to get regular passengers to pay $30 each for added revenue vs. UDP people booking and deciding to go elsewhere for dinner at the last minute. With the Hawaii cruise we have some overnights so people may make reservations but then decide to go to a local restaurant on one of the islands off the ship.

With all the main stream cruise lines you see many things that used to be free become add ons. On a cruise in 2008 with Carnival, friends brought on a suit case full of alcohol. Now very few (if any) cruise lines allow you to bring alcohol on board outside of wine for a charge. Some don't even want you bringing on soda.

to reply to those who asked for me to do so, I think I have another post here clarifying my statement.

When I called NCL I was told I had to book Cagney's onboard. I assumed it was an extra charge based on what I read in the FAQ's for the UDP. I misread it because it states it is a $10 charge for a 2nd entree. I guess for those who want to try 2 main entrees they get charged more. The NCL rep did NOT say Cagney's would be an ala carte restaurant. I don't think the NCL rep actually knows anything more than we do at this point.

We can speculate as to why it was removed from pre-bookings. As a side note, La Cucina was not able to be booked online either but is available if you call in.

I did see a post by someone who mentioned that at Cagney's on one of their cruises that they found many tables empty that may indicate people made reservations but were no shows. If it is mostly UDP people doing this NCL may be trying to get regular passengers to pay $30 each for added revenue vs. UDP people booking and deciding to go elsewhere for dinner at the last minute. With the Hawaii cruise we have some overnights so people may make reservations but then decide to go to a local restaurant on one of the islands off the ship.

With all the main stream cruise lines you see many things that used to be free become add ons. On a cruise in 2008 with Carnival, friends brought on a suit case full of alcohol. Now very few (if any) cruise lines allow you to bring alcohol on board outside of wine for a charge. Some don't even want you bringing on soda.

So just a misunderstanding, thank you for clarifying. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed that Cagney's remains included in the UDP until such time they decide to fill us in on their plans.

As far as the reservation issue, I don't think they ever book a restaurant to full capacity, but I can see how UDP reservations made "just in case" and then plans change and people lose track of what is reserved and when. Or maybe just don't care if they are no shows as there is no penalty as with pay as you go customers. If NCL feels it is a problem, maybe it's time to start charging the no show or late cancellation people some sort of fee. No way for us to know what the true situation is.

Someone reported recently that they were bumped out of their reservation by the party seated at "their" table because that party had arrived late and was still seated. I thought there was a 5 minute rule or maybe 15 that you were not seated if later than that. I hate to hear that they are apparently being lax on that and causing issues with every person booked behind them.

Edited by punkincc

so, after everything that happened yesterday - I called my TA.

They are a great one, and I have used them for many years. They are not even in the same state as I am, and I still love them.

I got an email back from them last night - this is what it said:

- You are correct Cagney's and East Meets West cannot be reserved until you board the ship. One piece of information that did come out though is that as of April 4, 2015 East Meets West will be a complimentary dining option so there will be no charge to dine there.

- The Chef's Table Experience will be $99.00 per person.

- Room service is still complimentary on the POA and should still be that way on July 2015.

Since I have not seen anything about East Meets West (but, I have not read every single post in every single topic), that was news to me.

Also, CT being $99 plus 18% gratuity instead of the $75 on the NCL website

This exclusive dining experience is offered for a cover charge of $75 per person, including gratuities, a behind-the-scenes galley tour, one group photo and an individual photo with the Executive Chef. The Chef's Table is limited to 12 guests per exclusive dining experience and is offered once per cruise on board Norwegian ships fleet-wide, with the exception of Norwegian Jade which rolls out March 22, 2012

was also news to me. I know it is well worth the $116.82 that I would have to pay, but since I do not drink at all, and we have 4 in our party, I am going to pass on it this time :(

Glad the room service is still free :)

We are sailing prior to 7/3 and I was able to book us 2 nights at Cagney's under the UDP and did receive confirmations. Both reservations are prior to 7/3, and I wasn't able to reserve Cagney's online for any date after 7/2. I hope they will honor the reservations I do have. Also, I am very curious to know what changes they will be making to Cagney's -- menu? no longer on UDP? I hope they will announce the changes prior to my cruise so I know what to expect. This is our 1st NCL cruise and all these changes I'm reading about on CC are making my head spin!

If you are in a group - we have someone in our roll call who is in a group - she was able several months ago to call some NCL person who did groups and they booked all her dining then for her whole group - even before suites were able to book... so I would look into that - and she even got Cagney's - now her whole group has the free UDP that was given out some time ago - so don't know if that matters or not.

Thanks! I will definitely look into that :)