Thunderstorms in Atlanta, what time of day?

Tangocherie

OP's flight from YUL-ATL is delayed from 645a until midnight...17+ hours! Delta is performing some sleight-of-hand by not cancelling the flight. The next flight would have been a non-starter (ATL arrival at 338pm). Seats probably weren't available since it was a CRJ, not to mention Delta's customers and higher fare tiers had rebooking priority.

The only viable options were a YUL-FLL nonstop on AC or WS....hopefully that worked, and the cruiseline's hit-and-miss customer service came through for OP. The return tickets may be invalid at this point (depending on fare rules)...also Trip Insurance policies require a proactive effort to salvage your trip. You can't just give up and go home.

It will be interesting to hear OP's outcome, hope it's a happy ending.

OP's flight from YUL-ATL is delayed from 645a until midnight...17+ hours! Delta is performing some sleight-of-hand by not cancelling the flight. The next flight would have been a non-starter (ATL arrival at 338pm). Seats probably weren't available since it was a CRJ, not to mention Delta's customers and higher fare tiers had rebooking priority.

The only viable options were a YUL-FLL nonstop on AC or WS....hopefully that worked, and the cruiseline's hit-and-miss customer service came through for OP. The return tickets may be invalid at this point (depending on fare rules)...also Trip Insurance policies require a proactive effort to salvage your trip. You can't just give up and go home.

When a delay became evident, were there other solutions? I'm a dummy on this stuff, but hoping the counsel that was provided on this board made OP realize there was not a minute to spare for a change and he had HAL on his speed dial to figure out something on "their ticket" for change fees.

Note: I would only do cruise air only with diversions for a day before and then only with some plan A's, B's and even C's that work and only when I view the risk/reward is justified in my head.

I agree, I will be curious about re-booking/re-routing from the cruise air option. Not that I would ever use it, but it will be a great data point for the future based on earlier comments.

I asked a DL friend if he had any insight into the OP's original flight earlier today. He was too busy to dig deep but was able to say that only a handful of pax remained on the original flight...which he said likely means pax were re-booked later in the day, or moved to other airlines. Based on times it doesn't look like ATL connections would have made it (though seats were available).

P.S. Bolded That's an old NWA thing...delay a flight 24 hours and you retain completion vs. cancellation. :)

Edited by PRWeezer

Waah! I go away for a week, a soap opera develops ... and I still don't know the end of the story!

I think we are all very curious. Was the cruise line air department on top of things and they contacted him, or did he have to contact them? What sort of assistance did they provide or did he have to speak to Delta? Was he able to get re-routed so he could make the cruise? As the old commercial said, "Enquiring minds want to know!" :D

Dollars to donuts the OP won't be back. Neither will "Pollyanna" MMOMOM, who assured the OP that everything would be just fine. (FWIW, MMOMOM has been posting since...guess she's busy spreading unicorn rainbows elsewhere)

Drinks at the DL SkyClub on me if I'm wrong. (But not from their "Luxury Bar").

Well I hope that Tangocherie made his cruise and comes back to fill in everyone who tried to help him on how it went. I made my first mistake by answering his question on my experience on the weather in Atlanta and the second by stating what I had heard and read on cruise air. I thought I had qualified that by the fact that the weather I HAD experienced and KNEW to be true, the later was only HEARSAY actually. But apparently that was not the case. Made major mistakes here, that's for sure! I do apologize to the 'all powerful and knowing ones' on this thread for that.

Specifically, FlyTalker WAS being rude, insulting and talking down to me with name calling and sarcastic photos.

So, to 6rugrats, you may think I was rude back, but I call it defending myself against his remarks made directly to me. And for your information, I WAS being honest. I never claimed to have 'empirical knowledge' as others seem to have here, or intentionally 'give someone false assumptions'. I do however thank you for pointing out the fact that I have 'no idea about how anything works'. All good to know. And just for the record, I DO TELL THE TRUTH as far as I know it all the time .... and I qualified that in my original post, which you both apparently missed. I also apologize for 'wasting your time'. But you as well, could leave what I did or did not learn from my mother, at her knee or otherwise, out of this, thank you.

Navybankerteacher For your information, I was NOT BLOWING SUNSHINE at anyone 'just trying to be nice'! I said what my experience was regarding the weather and only what I had read regarding the choice air. Obviously I was wrong. And on this thread in particular, I gather you're not supposed to be wrong. So sorry!

Obviously I was wrong on many counts here, posting at all in the first place, for starters I guess. And I do most humbly apologize to all the 'most powerful and knowing' .... won't happen again. I do hope all went well with Tangocherie, but I'm really sorry I got involved in this thread. Yesterday was a very nice day and there were no thunderstorms, even though from what I've read tonight, I guess that really wasn't the issue anyway. I didn't get to enjoy the day since I was having surgery, but I guess it was a nice day for that too, but hey ... 'what do I know'?!! I know you said not to ask that question, FlyTalker, because someone might just answer it. Feel free because at this point, I really don't care.

Dollars to donuts the OP won't be back. Neither will "Pollyanna" MMOMOM, who assured the OP that everything would be just fine. (FWIW, MMOMOM has been posting since...guess she's busy spreading unicorn rainbows elsewhere)

Drinks at the DL SkyClub on me if I'm wrong. (But not from their "Luxury Bar").

Does this kind of behavior really make you feel good? Might want to think about what that says about you. In the meantime, please leave me alone and knock it off with the belittling and name calling .... and maybe you should start taking those drink orders! :)

I was NOT BLOWING SUNSHINE at anyone 'just trying to be nice'! I said what my experience was regarding the weather and only what I had read regarding the choice air.

I think the issue was that "being nice" isn't always the most helpful information, and this post was screaming for helpful information, as the OP seemed to be rather naive about the situation. Telling someone your sure they'll be fine, not to worry, and that the cruise line will take care of everything despite the obvious red flags everywhere may actually be more of a disservice if it gives them a false sense of security. The OP clearly had a ridiculously tight connection to make from airport to port, and far more things to worry about than just weather in one particular city.

I'll be the first to admit that you need a bit of a thick skin if you're going to hand around on this board, but I'll take helpful information and solid suggestions presented curtly any day over unrealistic, feel-good assurances.

Hope your surgery went well and that you have a better day today. :)

I think the issue was that "being nice" isn't always the most helpful information, and this post was screaming for helpful information, as the OP seemed to be rather naive about the situation. Telling someone your sure they'll be fine, not to worry, and that the cruise line will take care of everything despite the obvious red flags everywhere may actually be more of a disservice if it gives them a false sense of security. The OP clearly had a ridiculously tight connection to make from airport to port, and far more things to worry about than just weather in one particular city.

I'll be the first to admit that you need a bit of a thick skin if you're going to hand around on this board, but I'll take helpful information and solid suggestions presented curtly any day over unrealistic, feel-good assurances.

Hope your surgery went well and that you have a better day today. :)

Thank you Meg. However, my issue is totally being ignored ... I. Was. Not. Just. Trying. To. Be. Nice! I stated a few times here already, I commented on the weather which was my experience and only what I had heard and read about the stupid cruise air. I wouldn't use it. We always go the day ahead. I made a mistake and admit it. I won't do it again. My problem was the remarks directed to me that were uncalled for, and they didn't come from you. Whether one is thick skinned or not, that stuff is just not warranted, and should not be a requirement to comment on this board. I was wrong, I apologized for it, it was unintentional and not meant as a disservice to anyone, despite what the 'Powers that Be' maintain. In reading through the thread last night, you are correct, there was a lot of helpful information given to the OP that did not include what I had said. Maybe that should have been it, stick to the point and help the other person ... not attack someone else. You were not one of those people and I appreciate that. The remarks made directly to and then about me, in continuous posts were NOT sticking to the point and certainly not being helpful to the OP. Those remarks were off topic and unnecessary. Those posters may be knowledgeable and experienced, but they were not in any way 'helpful' to the OP. Thanx again.