Thunderstorms in Atlanta, what time of day?

Tangocherie

Thanks alcpa1. The "suggested" arrival prior to boarding is one hour. Gives me more margin and I have completed my pre registration. I will call HAL Flight Ease when in Atlanta to keep them posted on our situation. We do have a two hour layover in ATL but if possible, I would like to try to catch the 11 am flight to FLL rather than my 12 pm. If this happens, will I get my luggage?:p

Thanks alcpa1. The "suggested" arrival prior to boarding is one hour.

No, this isn't a suggestion, this an absolute legal requirement to be checked in a minimum of 1 hour prior to departure, as the cruise line needs to provide the relevant legal bodies with the passenger manifest no later than that. Often, cruise lines actually put the cut-off time at 90 minutes prior to departure. I'm not sure if checking in online would fulfill this requirement, but I do remember a few years ago (when the rule was first implemented) that there was a bunch of people that barely missed the cutoff time, and were not allowed to board.

I think worrying about thunderstorms in Atlanta is kind of missing the point. Even if everything goes perfectly with your flights, and you arrive on schedule at FLL, your timeline is so tight that you have a real likelihood of missing your departure. Personally, I would be changing these flights now.

Thanks alcpa1. The "suggested" arrival prior to boarding is one hour. Gives me more margin and I have completed my pre registration. I will call HAL Flight Ease when in Atlanta to keep them posted on our situation. We do have a two hour layover in ATL but if possible, I would like to try to catch the 11 am flight to FLL rather than my 12 pm. If this happens, will I get my luggage?:p

All I can say at this point is good luck.

Re: changing to an earlier the flight the day of travel- usually you will not be allowed to do so if you have checked bags. If they do let you for some reason, your bags likely won't be on your earlier flight. So you'd still be waiting for the later flight to get your bags.

No, this isn't a suggestion, this an absolute legal requirement to be checked in a minimum of 1 hour prior to departure, as the cruise line needs to provide the relevant legal bodies with the passenger manifest no later than that. Often, cruise lines actually put the cut-off time at 90 minutes prior to departure. I'm not sure if checking in online would fulfill this requirement, but I do remember a few years ago (when the rule was first implemented) that there was a bunch of people that barely missed the cutoff time, and were not allowed to board.

This^^^^

I think worrying about thunderstorms in Atlanta is kind of missing the point. Even if everything goes perfectly with your flights, and you arrive on schedule at FLL, your timeline is so tight that you have a real likelihood of missing your departure. Personally, I would be changing these flights now.

Agreed. The concern about thunderstorms, in light of the already tight connection, is nearly pointless. There are so many other things that could go wrong, but the OP seems hell-bent on flirting with disaster. Any my understanding us that doing the online "check in" doesn't matter. What counts is whether you are physically checked in at the port or not, 60/90 minutes early. That's what determines who is on the passenger manifest.

Same day change ($50 per ticket) can be done 24 hours before departure. Because you have cruise air, this may not be viable. If it was me with these tickets, I'd be calling Delta at 6:45 tomorrow morning trying to get that 11:00 ATL-FLL segment. If I did manage to get that done, I'd call HAL and tell them about the new schedule. I've read a 1 hr is doable connection in ATL. I've been through ATL a couple of times, seemed fairly well laid out. Perhaps others can advise on making connections.

Same day change ($50 per ticket) can be done 24 hours before departure. Because you have cruise air, this may not be viable. If it was me with these tickets, I'd be calling Delta at 6:45 tomorrow morning trying to get that 11:00 ATL-FLL segment.

Even with the $50, this can still only be done if there are seats available in the same fare class that was originally purchased. And that doesn't mean just "coach." There are mulitple fare classes within coach, so if the OP bought a coach ticket in "T" fare class and the only tickets now available are other coach fare classes, no can do. If that was the case and they still wanted to make a change, they'd likely have to pay the $150 change fee plus and applicable difference in fare. (Under the circumstances, I'd do that in a skinny minute)

tangocherie- FWIW, tomorrow's thunderstorm forecast (Levels 0-6) is 0 for YUL and FLL, and 1 for ATL. The most active zone will be Oklahoma/Missouri and that's only level 4....nothing too serious, but could delay planes coming out of that area.

Good luck on your flights, let us know how it goes. Are you sticking with your original flights or attempting a change?

Edited by kenish

... There are mulitple fare classes within coach, so if the OP bought a coach ticket in "T" fare class and the only tickets now available are other coach fare classes, no can do. If that was the case and they still wanted to make a change, they'd likely have to pay the $150 change fee plus and applicable difference in fare. ...
Or they could have NONCHG in the endorsements. At least the weather looks good, which is what brought the OP here. I hope he comes back and tells us what happened.

tangocherie- FWIW, tomorrow's thunderstorm forecast (Levels 0-6) is 0 for YUL and FLL, and 1 for ATL. The most active zone will be Oklahoma/Missouri and that's only level 4....nothing too serious, but could delay planes coming out of that area.

Good luck on your flights, let us know how it goes. Are you sticking with your original flights or attempting a change?

and if the bird the OP is supposed to be on is coming from or through that area and is late arriving in ATL they could by up a certain creek without a paddle.:eek:

Having a bad day FlyerTalker? You don't have to be rude and insulting when someone was just trying to be nice. Seems you post an awful lot, so maybe that's your deal ..... maybe you just get a kick out of browsing the boards and instead of being helpful to someone, lash out at someone else who was trying to be! Calling people names and putting people down isn't nice ... or were you absent the day that was taught?

It's been said but I'll say it as well. Yes he posts quite a bit, and he is quite knowledgeable about flying and airlines. (along with a couple other big milage flyers who post in this section quite often). They browse the boards and are very helpful. Post the same original question on a Flyertalk and see how nice the responses are after bad/incorrect info is given out.

and "calling people names and putting people down isn't nice......." grow up. This is big boy and big girl stuff.

Trucker Dave,

The OP is flying from Montreal and he will go through US C & I there.

I hope he gets to the airport super early because those Delta gates are closer to Buffalo than Montreal!!!!

My experience, especially in the early mornings, is that it can take a while to get through US C&I in immigration. The lines seem understaffed in my several experiences (most of which are for a 6am or 7am flight)

Well, if the OP is on DL1869 to ATL today, he/she is in trouble. Flight scheduled to depart YUL at 0645 but has not yet departed. New estimated departure time is 1430!!!!!
I believe that's his flight. I hope he has the HAL cruise air number on speed dial and that they can work something out besides fly him to the first port - he'll miss half the cruise if that's his only choice :(.

Well, if the OP is on DL1869 to ATL today, he/she is in trouble. Flight scheduled to depart YUL at 0645 but has not yet departed. New estimated departure time is 1430!!!!!

Yes, flight is now estimated to arrive at ALT at 5:14 p.m. Despite reassurance from all the "nice" posters, OP was not o.k. with this original flight. Reading back through the old posts on this thread, the realistic posters advised OP to change his flights, as there were many other reasons to be concerned about this tight connection time besides thunderstorms. They were right.

Hope he was able to be placed on another flight so he can make his sailing. Another example of why it's not advised to fly in the day you are departing on your cruise.

Edited by 6rugrats

But I thought Cruise Air meant that they'd hold the ship for you???? :confused:

;)

Actually, they are holding the ship for OP....departure is delayed, and the ship has not yet left as of 5:30 pm!

Hope OP made it as NA is taking lines up now.

I sure hope he made it and either way has time to report back, especially if waiting for him (and possibly others) was, in fact, the reason departure was delayed.

For the record, it was warm & sunny all day today in Atlanta...just goes to show you, weather may be the least of your worries where last-minute air travel is concerned.

I sure hope he made it and either way has time to report back, especially if waiting for him (and possibly others) was, in fact, the reason departure was delayed.

For the record, it was warm & sunny all day today in Atlanta...just goes to show you, weather may be the least of your worries where last-minute air travel is concerned.

After missing day in Rome due to missed connection in ATL, we never fly day of again.

Having a bad day FlyerTalker? You don't have to be rude and insulting when someone was just trying to be nice. Seems you post an awful lot, so maybe that's your deal ..... maybe you just get a kick out of browsing the boards and instead of being helpful to someone, lash out at someone else who was trying to be! Calling people names and putting people down isn't nice ... or were you absent the day that was taught?

Frankly, FlyerTalker was giving more helpful advice (which is what people should be looking for here) than someone trying to blow sunshine at someone else "...just trying to be nice."

Realistic caution is helpful - mindless happy talk is not.

OP, if you do indeed miss the cruise....the ship will sail as soon as it is obvious that it will mess up the following cruise...make sure HAL gets you into the Azores and into a real nice hotel as you wait for the ship.

That said there are probably a lot of solutions to the issue within the Delta network...Montreal to LGA with a direct to FLL or Montreal to DTW and onto FLL, hopefully those were available when the issues of the original flight became evident.

Edited by buggins0402