First time Cruiser & Singleton

Pennoir

I am booked on the Silver Shadow departing San Francisco on May 4 to Vancouver for 10 days. I am travelling on my own and whilst very excited also a little anxious, any advice for a singleton gratefully received. I am also a foodie and am keen to eat at Le Champagne but how does one to do that on one own, without feeling like a complete no friend Charlie!! Thanks in anticipation of some quality and erudite advice - no pressure!

P.S - I'm a kiwi and female

Pennoir we have enjoyed that cruise. You will meet people on board and during trips and the international hostesses are very good at inviting singles to join a table in the dining room. More than likely you will find other singles and couples who would like to join you for a meal in Le Champagne or if you prefer to eat alone, the Maitre D will look after you.

The ship is small enough that you will get to know other passengers very quickly. Trivia is also a good way to mingle. Have fun. It is a wonderful cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of the greatest joys in life is to dine alone with good food, good wine and a good book!

As stated above, SS are very good at looking after their single passengers and we have never observed anyone clearly unable to find dining companions - of course there are some who prefer to dine alone and always seem to be particularly well looked after by the staff.

I'm sure you'll have an awesome voyage!

Pennoir, l too am a single female traveller with Silversea and l can assure you all will be fine.

As has been said SS look after their solo guests extremely well without intrusion so what you choose or don't choose to do is entirely up to yourself.

You won't be the only solo on board and will soon get chatting to others on your voyage...both singles and couples in my experience.

I haven't as yet had the chance to dine in Champagne due to the many invites l received to dine elsewhere during my trips but l would have no hesitation to enjoy dinner in there on my own...and if l wish to have a quiet evening in l quite simply ask my butler to serve dinner in suite which is equally enjoyable after a long day!

Travelling alone can be stressful but it is the safest way to see the world whilst enjoying the luxury of a home away from home with the fabulous crew to look after you.

I'm currently in packing mode in readiness to join Silver Spirit next Monday and am very excited.

Go and enjoy, you will have a wonderful time.

Sophia

You will be traveling on a wonderful ship with excellent service with a good itinerary, with a company that attempts to take care of their solos, as others have described. There are not uncommonly about one out of ten pax who are solos ( on our last cruise it was 7:1 women, a solo lady told me as my husband and I struck up a conversation with her in Le Champagne, where she dined by herself almost nighly). Many of the solo ladies spent time together, or met up with non-solos early on at events and became friends. In addition to the meet and greet and Trivia, you can ask to join a communal table in the MDR early in the cruise, and generally ( not always) if you are proactive, sociable and outgoing, even if you get seated with couples, you will have something to comfortably talk about. Though I am now married and usually travel with Mr. Catlover, I used to travel to various places solo, so I make an effort to get to know and talk to solos I see in lounges, on decks, and on excursions, and of course at MDR communal tables, and so do many others. If you wish to dine in Le Champagne by yourself, where there are no communal tables, it might be best to make a reservation for right when they open, so that then when others get seated near you they may be more likely to be amenable to conversation.

Or if you really want to be alone, you can signal so, e.g., stick your nose in an ipad mini from your purse and read a good book!

As someone whose first entertainment real "cruise" was over 30 years ago on Holland America to Alaska, (as opposed to "ocean liner" transport travel, another story), one thing I did notice back then is if solo women were younger and attractive, there was occasionally a bit of initial discomfort on the part of some of the more insecure wives, but most would get over it once it was clear the solo women were not trying to steal their husbands. If you are older, no problem! 😊 On this first solo cruise when I was young, I met another young solo, and we became lifelong friends, such that almost every year since we have gotten together to spend time together though she lives far away from me.

Have a wonderful cruise! If you meet anyone grumpy or unfriendly, or feel rejected, just say, who cares? Their problem and loss, not yours.

I enthusiastically agree with everything said above. I'm sorry to miss you on the Shadow, we will pass on the gangplank as I will be on the Fort Lauderdale to San Fran segment just before you board - as a solo. This will be my 3rd Silversea solo cruise, and I am looking forward to another one on the Spirit this fall. Silversea DEFINITELY takes care of their solo travelers (better than any other cruiseline - I speak from experience!). If you haven't already done so - get on the Roll Call for your cruise and also sign up for Meet & Mingle. As far as Le Champagne goes - I wouldn't miss it, I always go at least once or twice per cruise. I usually go ahead and make an advance reservation for two people on a sea day at least halfway through the cruise, then find someone (NEVER been a problem) to invite to go with me. Even on cruises where there are no "Gentlemen Hosts", Silversea usually arranges a daily 7pm "Solo" cocktail hour in the Panorama - where the International Hostess will show up to organize everyone and accompany the solos to dinner in the main dining room. I agree with above posters that these groups are mostly women - but I would not be surprised if there were 10-15 solos on your cruise.

Like I said... Don't worry. You WILL meet lots of people (couples, too!), you will NEVER eat dinner alone (unless you choose to) and you will have a BLAST!!!

Jen

As an occasional solo cruiser I can only endorse the comments and suggestions above. You will receive ample invitations to dine with others which you are free to accept/decline as you wish. If there are any cooking demonstrations or wine tastings offered then go, meet and mingle events and trivia is a good social opportunity too.

If you are naturally reasonably extrovert you won't have any problem at all making new friends. If you are more reserved you may have to take a deep breath and get out and about more than you are normally comfortable with but it's well worth it, I promise. There will be plenty of opportunities - all you have to do is grab them!