Avalon Rhine Extra Excursion

bohaiboy

On the Tranquility II in October. I know most river boats have included tours, and we have had the opportunity to do extra excursions (paid) on Avalon. Do any of you former Avalon Rhine River Cruisers have recollections of extra tours that can be had?

Here is a link to a trip report I posted from my Avalon Basel to Amsterdam river cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1646466&highlight=avalon+felicity

I think the optional excursions depend on the direction of the sailing.

From what I remember, our optional excursions included:

* A city tour of Zurich - morning sightseeing tour day of embarkation - included transportation to the ship in Basel

* Tour to Mt. Pilatus and Lucern - day of embarkation - more than 1/2 day. Included bus to base of Mt. Pilatus, trip to top via gondolas, time at top, trip down on cogwheel railway, bus to Lucern including stop at Lion of Lucern, a 45 min walking tour then free time and finally transportation to the ship

*In Strasbourg - there were two optional trips after lunch - one was wine tasting in the Alsasce region and then visit to Obernoi France. The other was a bus ride to the black Forrest and a stop at a cuckoo clock shop. We did the wine tasting.

In Amsterdam - a trip to Zaanse Schans to see Gouda cheese making, wooden shoe making and windmills. There was also a trip after dinner to the red light district.

I think this is what we had for our trip. Again - there are probably some different options if you are travelling in the reverse direction.

Hope this helps.

Kelly

to add to what DubFan listed, there was a visit to Technical Museum in Speyer, the German dinnershow in Rudesheim. Also in Amsterdam you could select excursions to the Red Light District, Anne Frank House, and the museums.

Thanks Got2Cruise - I forgot about the German dinner show in Rusesheim. On the direction I traveled i don't remember teh Technical museum in Speyer or the Anne Frank house, but I'm sure the Cruise director could assist with these.

Again - I think some of the options differ depending on the direction cruised.

I looked at our documents from June 2014 and this is what I found:

Amsterdam

Zaanse Schans E34

Anne Frank E39

Rijksmuseum E39

Biking in the countryside E49*

Volendam and Edam Dutch village tours E34

* DH did biking and loved it. You take one of the free pedestrian/bike ferries from behind Central Station and are on countryside roads away from busy Amsterdam streets.

We arrived in Amsterdam 4 days early so we had taken care of other options akready.

Rudesheim - we did not do the dinner

Excursion to Back Forest from Strasbourg E78

We this and it was a long bus ride. We regreted this choice.

Last day Excursion to Colmar E39 OR

Biking through the Kaiserstuhl region. E39*

*DH did this and he would recommend it

We left boat at Basel and we transferred directly to the Zurich airport. On a previous trip many years ago, we traveled to Lucerne and other sites in Switzerland.

Sign onto MyAvalon after final payment 3 months prior to departure and see list of excursions and prices. You can sign up early. Consider signing up early for departure city. However, check cancellation rules.

Hope this helps.. Enjoy. This is. great cruise.

• 3 weeks later...