How to get official Spanish translation of DL

kekilia

Okay, so I booked a scooter rental for Ibiza, and the fine print says I have to get either an International license or an "official Spanish translation" of my drivers license. But there are no instructions and no information as to how to get one. Do I need to do this before I cruise? I don't think my local DMV issues those. Anyone who's rented car or scooter have information on this?

You can get an International Driving Permit at your local AAA. My husband just did that today for a couple of upcoming trips, but we have done it several times before. It's $15 plus whatever the cost is of the photo they need to take, and is good for one year.

I always renew my AAA International Permit when traveling to Europe...and have never had any rental agency ask for it... :rolleyes:

My NYS driver's license and credit card worked most everywhere... some required to see passport.

I still will do the AAA deal, but it has little clout.

Sounds like that is the way for you to go. When we rented a car in Ibiza...it wasn't asked for.

Traveling to Britain,Europe and Israel for many many years and have never been asked for an international drivers license. Only got one when we first started traveling and renting cars in 1965 for approximately 2/3 years. Don't waste your money.

As for a Spanish translation you can send it to the embassy of Spain. I would call them and ask if there is a fee.

Wanting a translation of all the information contained on a driver's license does seem excessive.

A Danish friend has been a second driver on three car rentals in the U.S. and Canada. No one at the rental agency has ever asked for a translation of her Danish license ...

I have read in many places that an international driver's license is not at all necessary. We've rented many cars in Europe and have never needed one.

Mura

I have read in many places that an international driver's license is not at all necessary. We've rented many cars in Europe and have never needed one.

Mura

To be clear... the AAA paperwork is not a driver's license, from any authority.

..it is merely an international driver's "permit," verifying that they have validated that your actual driver's license is legit.

Yeah. I have never, ever been asked to produce the IDP when renting a car in Europe, Asia or Australia.

But as your broker says, "Past performance is not a guarantee of future results." I always carry a current IDP when renting overseas for the very reason kimiata mentions above. One never knows when it might suddenly be required, and it's cheap insurance against being turned away at the rental counter or cited by the policía for driving without proper documentation.

Regarding the OP's specific circumstances: the fine print for Avis car rentals in Spain includes the IDP requirement. However, the rental agent in Santander last November just smiled and said, "No es necesario," when the IDP was offered along with my regular US driver license.

AAA membership is not required to obtain the IDP.

Edited by DrHemlock