Drink Packages

Hi! My family just booked a cruise for this summer - our first as a family. wondering if the Drink packages are a good deal? we have 3 kids - who always seem to be thirsty. My husband and I are not BIG drinkers, but would enjoy wine with dinner and maybe another one throughout the day.. Would appreciate any feedback. We are going on the 14 day West. Med out of Southhampton

Welcome to Cruise Critics.

The various drink packages are great for some and lousy for others. I don't know the line you are on, but if it is Princess, in the Princess section of CC there is a spreadsheet to help people calculate which package, if any, is best for them. There may be similar help in the section for other lines.

It will depend on how much you drink and what line you are traveling with.

I invariably get the soda package and normally about 4 drinks a day puts you in front.

With Alcohol packages it is pretty similar about 4 of the top price drinks in the package to be in front, more of the lower priced drinks.

Thanks - we are cruising on the Royal Carribbean. Thanks for your help!

I think RCI are unique in that you can buy the package at any time during the cruise up to 4 days before the end, and you'll be charged the pro-rata daily rate. See item 13 on their terms:

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/pdf/Alcohol%20Beverage%20Package%20Ts%20and%20Cs%20May%202014_tcm16-66659.pdf

So you can check your spend over the first couple of days, do the maths, & decide then. :)

A shared bottle of wine at dinner & another drink during the day doesn't sound to be worth the package, but it's surprising how much more you can put away when it's already paid-for ;)

Kids will almost-certainly get their money's worth out of a soda package, there are quite a few sea-days on Southampton - Med - Southampton.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Last time I cruised on Carnival (Pride) I got the soda package, it was a pain to get the drinks, you have to go to the bar which were separate from the buffet so it was wait in line to get your food then wait for a bartender to get around to getting you a soda. In the restaurant I found it sometime took a long time to get the soda or a refill delivered ...just bring a 12 pack on board with you

Last time I cruised on Carnival (Pride) I got the soda package, it was a pain to get the drinks, you have to go to the bar which were separate from the buffet so it was wait in line to get your food then wait for a bartender to get around to getting you a soda. In the restaurant I found it sometime took a long time to get the soda or a refill delivered ...just bring a 12 pack on board with you

I always have a soda pack, except one cruise when it wasn't available, never had a problem getting a drink.