My room was released and changed without my knowledge

It´s nice that many Posters on this thread vote for the moved parties to get their original rooms back and how it´s been repeated over and over how easy it should be to move the other ones out of the room to move them back.

I would like to give all of this a Little spin, even though it might be a hypothetical one in this case.

How would you respond to this:

We leave in June on the Oasis and booked 2 rooms across the hall from each other, one Boardwalk balcony with my wife and daughter in it and an ocean facing balcony for myself and son, planning to swap sleeping once onboard. We were really happy as we had tried for a while to find two rooms across and grabbed them as soon as they became available. I was looking at my reservation today and realized the boardwalk balcony room # was not where it was supposed to be. I called RC, spent 30 minutes on hold and I was told that on March 28 I was moved through some unknown reason. Luckily I was able to get moved back to the same floor 2 rooms down but now someone has our room across the hallway for my kids. I got an apology and OBC for $100 but I am very frustrated that this happened. Thank goodness I was checking my reservation! Has anyone had this happen before?

Let us face it, this is a possible scenario, and the booking would have been perfectly fine, as they would not know due to which circumstances the cabin would have been available at the time.

I´m pretty sure my made up hypothetical Story would have gained the same Responses of "What´s so difficult about moving the others and give you the original room back".

Who has the right to stay in the room now?

Both parties are not at fault!

One could argue the cabin goes to those having booked earlier. Now how is the cruiseline going to handle this? Are they telling the truth about what happened? I´m quite sure if the Story would be posted on here with the Explanation from the cruise line there´s a whole bunch of People not believing the cruiseline and coming up with conspiracy stories.

Now they could just say through some unknown entity the room was released through the website and was moved. We already know where that goes.

It is unfortunate what happened to the OP and others, but stuff happens and no it isn´t always that easy as some of you wnat to make it look like to Switch things back.

The same thing happened to us. We booked with a TA.

We are 2 adults, 1 child & 1 grandparent.

We booked 2 rooms, 1 a double for grandma & child; & a triple for us so kid could sleep in our room.

Sometime after final payment, we noticed that our room number was different.

RCI said that they automatically move people if the occupany doesn't match the room.

The TA didnt' even know about it until I told her.

I don't think RCI should move anyone who booked a non-guarantee category without getting the person's approval first, even if it's to a room that RCI would consider an "upgrade" since the person who booked the room may not consider it an upgrade (e.g. if I booked a mid-ship balcony on a lower deck because I'm worried about getting seasick, an upgrade to a forward room, even a suite, on higher deck is not going to much of an upgrade for me).

I know they're already trying to maximize the occupancy rate by not giving access to the triple and quad rooms to single or double occupancy bookings in certain situations (and yes, that irritates me too but that's a whole other thread) but in situations where they've already taken your money for the room, they should not get to "automatically" do anything to your reservations without you agreeing to it first. :mad:

Paulxyz2004 - For some reason the "Quote" button didn't work but I'm not sure I understand what you meant by the "Who has the right to stay in the room now? Both parties are not at fault!"

None of the 4 parties in the two actual scenarios that we have in this thread were at fault. The fault in all these cases, including yours, remains with RCI or, if the TA released the cabin, the TA. RCI existing policy appears to be "the original booker's already ticked off at us so what do we have to lose by making them more angry with us; there's no reason to bother asking why the specific cabin is important and let's just give them a random OBC (or nothing at all) instead of making the second booker (who doesn't even know that anything's going on) mad at us too."

Personally (and yes, I know this will never happen), I think RCI should offer a fantastic upgrade to both parties at the same time and say that the first one to accept the offer will get the upgrade and the other one gets the original room. :)

Edited by Sarasa

Paulxyz2004 - For some reason the "Quote" button didn't work but I'm not sure I understand what you meant by the "Who has the right to stay in the room now? Both parties are not at fault!"

None of the 4 parties in the two actual scenarios that we have in this thread were at fault. The fault in all these cases, including yours, remains with RCI or, if the TA released the cabin, the TA.

Yeah, still many on this thread say the OP and those posting similar stories here are the ones who should get their rooms back and RCI should move "the others".

What I´m trying to say is they have as much right to be in that room, so moving them and put the OP (et al.) back in their rooms wouldn´t be right either.

Hypothetically.... say you book a room and some time later you find out Royal has moved you to a new cabin. You are ticked off and insist that you should be moved back to your original cabin because you "booked it first."

But what if you, unbeknownst to you, you did NOT "book it first?" What if the new occupants of the room booked it 2 months before you did, and then the Royal's reservation system messed up or whatever, and those people got moved without their permission..... and before they realized what happened you or your travel agent saw that particular cabin was available and booked it?

But THEN.... the original occupants called Royal and demanded their original room back, meaning YOU had to be moved. At that point you would have already argued your case that whoever booked it first (you thought it was you) should have the room. Would you still make that same argument after finding out you were really not the one who booked it first? Is it possible that this is what happened in the OP's situation? My guess is that most would find the "first come, first served" argument to be appropriate only when it benefits them and not when it explains why they've been moved.

Just some food for thought!

I don't think RCI should move anyone who booked a non-guarantee category without getting the person's approval first, even if it's to a room that RCI would consider an "upgrade" since the person who booked the room may not consider it an upgrade (e.g. if I booked a mid-ship balcony on a lower deck because I'm worried about getting seasick, an upgrade to a forward room, even a suite, on higher deck is not going to much of an upgrade for me).

I know they're already trying to maximize the occupancy rate by not giving access to the triple and quad rooms to single or double occupancy bookings in certain situations (and yes, that irritates me too but that's a whole other thread) but in situations where they've already taken your money for the room, they should not get to "automatically" do anything to your reservations without you agreeing to it first. :mad:

Totally agree and this should be the case. But when the TA errs, as the case with one poster, then this goes out the window.

As far as the who booked first theory. Sounds like all the people that have had issues booked early and had the rooms reserved for a substantial amount of time before a switch occurred. Don't think they were the second party. Possible yes, likely no.

Now... Where is that OP w/ an update?!

Totally agree and this should be the case. But when the TA errs, as the case with one poster, then this goes out the window.

Agreed, when the TA screws up then it's up to the TA to find a way to compensate the customer for the mistake and this would be a scenario where I don't think the first booker should get the room back.

I think whether it's RCI or a TA, the first thing that should happen is the company at fault needs to admit to the mistake. Being transparent regarding the error is one of the only ways to re-establish (at least some of the) trust that just went out the door. That, coupled with giving the customer some kind of fantastic upgrade/OBC/etc. would hopefully also keep the mistake from happening again since that would negatively impact the bottom line.

As far as the who booked first theory. Sounds like all the people that have had issues booked early and had the rooms reserved for a substantial amount of time before a switch occurred. Don't think they were the second party. Possible yes, likely no.

Why not? Not everyone logs on daily or weekly to check their reservation. I could easily see someone booking and not realizing for several months that they had been moved.

It´s nice that many Posters on this thread vote for the moved parties to get their original rooms back and how it´s been repeated over and over how easy it should be to move the other ones out of the room to move them back.

I would like to give all of this a Little spin, even though it might be a hypothetical one in this case.

How would you respond to this:

We leave in June on the Oasis and booked 2 rooms across the hall from each other, one Boardwalk balcony with my wife and daughter in it and an ocean facing balcony for myself and son, planning to swap sleeping once onboard. We were really happy as we had tried for a while to find two rooms across and grabbed them as soon as they became available. I was looking at my reservation today and realized the boardwalk balcony room # was not where it was supposed to be. I called RC, spent 30 minutes on hold and I was told that on March 28 I was moved through some unknown reason. Luckily I was able to get moved back to the same floor 2 rooms down but now someone has our room across the hallway for my kids. I got an apology and OBC for $100 but I am very frustrated that this happened. Thank goodness I was checking my reservation! Has anyone had this happen before?

Let us face it, this is a possible scenario, and the booking would have been perfectly fine, as they would not know due to which circumstances the cabin would have been available at the time.

I´m pretty sure my made up hypothetical Story would have gained the same Responses of "What´s so difficult about moving the others and give you the original room back".

Who has the right to stay in the room now?

Both parties are not at fault!

One could argue the cabin goes to those having booked earlier. Now how is the cruiseline going to handle this? Are they telling the truth about what happened? I´m quite sure if the Story would be posted on here with the Explanation from the cruise line there´s a whole bunch of People not believing the cruiseline and coming up with conspiracy stories.

Now they could just say through some unknown entity the room was released through the website and was moved. We already know where that goes.

It is unfortunate what happened to the OP and others, but stuff happens and no it isn´t always that easy as some of you wnat to make it look like to Switch things back.

Had you booked the kids in one cabin and the parents in the other at the start, the change or "upgrade" would not have happened, they will not move people if it means minors end up in a cabin not next to or across from the parents.

It appears a 'Can of Worms' has been opened on this, so I would like to end on this note.

The Travel Agent were totally at fault. Royal Caribbean were not.

It is only because of Royal Caribbean, who were not obliged to, that I have my family together again and they should be applauded.

Now I can get back to looking forward to my holiday again. Once again many thanks all.

Why not? Not everyone logs on daily or weekly to check their reservation. I could easily see someone booking and not realizing for several months that they had been moved.

In my opinion... The person that booked early was probably first.

Is it is POSSIBLE they were not, yes. But booking 16 months out, having 3 rooms next to each other, I doubt.

We can obviously agree to disagree and move on.

• 2 weeks later...

I am the OP and wanted to update everyone, I got my room back! The email to the office of the President did it. Of course, he did not respond but someone else did. It took 3 weeks but she apologized and said it was a weird glitch in their system which should have alerted them that something was not right when the room was released. They did contact the new occupants of my room and they agreed to move. They probably got a big upgrade!! lol Still frustrating that the new occupants had to agree when I was never given an option but all's well that ends well! 44 Days and counting.......

I am the OP and wanted to update everyone, I got my room back! The email to the office of the President did it. Of course, he did not respond but someone else did. It took 3 weeks but she apologized and said it was a weird glitch in their system which should have alerted them that something was not right when the room was released. They did contact the new occupants of my room and they agreed to move. They probably got a big upgrade!! lol Still frustrating that the new occupants had to agree when I was never given an option but all's well that ends well! 44 Days and counting.......

That's great. Thanks for letting us know :)

Congrats on getting it resolved.:D

At least with RC getting the consent of the moved party they were aware of the circumstances so we're unlikely to come back demanding the cabin they had booked back as well;). Hopefully it turned out for all involved as a win win.

Enjoy your cruise:D