Victoria Station

Pather

Hi. Does anyone know the name of the hotel inside Victoria Station? We stayed there years ago and it was very convenient. Names of other hotels nearby would also be appreciated. Thanks.

The Grosvenor Hotel:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186338-d218409-Reviews-The_Grosvenor_Hotel-London_England.html#REVIEWS

It's not quite "inside" Victoria Station, but rather, built around the station, in the manner of many British railway hotels.

However, be aware that there is quite a bit of construction going on in the neighborhood. I'm not sure how or if this affects this particular hotel, but some locals on TripAdvisor are recommending that tourists avoid some of the hotels in the vicinity of the station at the moment because of this.

FWIW, I have fond memories of my stay at the Grosvenor Victoria (as it was then) during a school trip that coincided with the coal miners strike of 1972. There were power cuts throughout Britain, and I recall a few nights when the light inside the hotel was provided by candles in the rooms and the hallways.:eek: Good times!:D

What about the Premier Hotel. Might there be a problem around it? I thought it was a block away.

thanks

I haven't been in that part of town for some time, but this recent thread on TripAdvisor mentions the Premier Inn Victoria and the ongoing construction in the area, as well as suggesting some alternatives:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k8372100-Premier_Inn_Victoria_vs_Blackfriars-London_England.html

Personally I would have thought that the advantages of staying in Victoria (assuming that is their preferred location for valid reasons) would outweigh the minor inconveniences of the construction work. Certainly nothing about it on recent reviews of the Grosvenor that I have read.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Thanks

Our ship leaves today so I don't have much time to research a different hotel. Wish I would have noticed this several weeks ago. Guess I will need to use all my internet minutes to find a different hotel. Always hate the first time in a city. Much easier the second time around.

Thanks again

I wouldn't bother changing your plans, to be honest. None of the recent reviews of the Premier Inn on Trip Adviser mention anything at all about the construction at the station, which is unsurprising to me as it is away from where the works are.

Frankly, I am at a loss why Post Captain has made this an issue, unless there is direct experience to be shared!

We stayed at the Grosvenor last year and it was perfect. Booked it online, I think through Orbitz, and also found a great online coupon. Just Google Grosvenor Promo. I love that hotel and would absolutely go there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk