Carnival Could Learn a Lot from other Cruiselines

How would you like it if the cruise lines told you that if you did not cruise in a calendar year you would lose all of the cruising days you currently had accumulated like most of the airlines do with accumulated miles?

That is a false comparison. The vast majority of people earning higher tiers with airlines are business travelers who are using a corporate expense account.

They have to travel, the only question is who with and that is typically based on who has the flights to the cities they need to visit.

Taking the train or bus is not a viable alternative to the airline for the business traveler and it may not even be possible (international travel). The cruiser can most definitely ditch the cruise for Disney, an all inclusive resort, National Parks, self-planned vacations, etc.

Also, the airline programs have vastly superior perks all designed to keep that corporate account business. How often does Carnival upgrade interior guests to Captain's Suite, just because the passengers are platinum or diamond?

Finally, the rates paid are light years apart. The business traveler paying last minute walk up fare is paying through the nose, versus the vacationer who bought it six months in advance at a huge discount. While with Carnival, many Diamond and Platinum guests are booking interior rooms at deep discount as they look for bargains.

I have over 25 sailed days on Carnival, Royal, NCL, Princess and MSC but I don't remember EVER being invited to a Past Guest party on any of them but Carnival (nor was I given a coupon for a free drink).

So you're going to jump ship from Carnival for what?

Princess does an 'infomercial' for blue,gold, and ruby levels. No food or drinks served. Do get a coupon for a drink of your choice. Have to attend the event to get the coupon.

Edited by SadieN

...CCL's sail and sign account can quickly exceed the actual price of the cruise.

Really, maybe yours can, but I have never had more than $400.00 on mine after an 8 day cruise, including the Service charge, err.. gratuity.

With all these people jumping ship(slight pun intended) does that mean my Sunshine cruise will be less packed? One can only hope.

I've been thinking all along that I hope most for those who are threatening to change cruise lines will actually do so. That means fewer passengers and cheaper fares. Thanks! :D

Okay, so now the latest slap in the face for those that aren't platinum or diamond. Taking away gold members access to the past guest party. Did I go to those parties? No. But it really sucks. However, they are giving a free drink to be used on the last full day of the cruise. A lot of people didn't go for the drinks, they went for the fun.

That being said, Carnival needs to open their eyes and see what other cruiselines are doing. Royal's version of Cheers does not require everyone in the cabin purchase the package. If you travel with a non-drinker, it is not fair to them to make them pay just because you want the package. Let's take it up a notch to Celebrity who also allows bottled water and specialty coffees to be purchased with the drink package.

Royal offers double points for staying in a suite. Carnival does not. Royal also offers double points when you cruise solo. Makes sense as you are paying for two cruises.

And before anyone blasts me and tells me to go to Royal, just know that I cruise both. I am just hoping that people are right when they say that Carnival corporate reviews these posts and takes note. Will they make changes, probably not, but it's worth a shot.

How about just even on dollars spent, as well, I cruise less often, and am about to reach Gold, so this is no Big deal for me, however. When i do cruise I generally cruise in Suites, it is just the way we do things. even if it was something like.

1x for inside cabin

1.25 for balcony

1.5 for suite

That way there would at least be something......

But I cruise for cruising and carnival is for us.

I'm going to disagree, although 100% certain to be in the minority.

For my last CCL sailing (Carnival Breeze), I waved-off all food/beverage offerings, and went for the onstage entertainment. Live music is so rare on the main theatre stage, that I wanted to see/hear what was offered.

I am 'someone', thanks!

....and someone I ahve not seen post in a good while. I agree about the live entertainment perspective, but the Breeze did have some good live stuff in Oceans Plaza when we were on her in April

I've been thinking all along that I hope most for those who are threatening to change cruise lines will actually do so. That means fewer passengers and cheaper fares. Thanks! :D

No significant number ever do. Of course, other cruise lines have their share of disgruntled customers who shift to Carnival. There is balance in the universe. :p

No significant number ever do. Of course, other cruise lines have their share of disgruntled customers who shift to Carnival. There is balance in the universe. :p

Agreed, I was bein ga smart-arse. :D

Just a few months back it was Loyal Royals crying because of some perk that RCCL took away (I can't remember which). NCL cruisers are always upset because NCL is constantly changing things trying to find the right formula.

Based on the time of year you cruised, you should have found a RCCL at or around the same price. The only time RCCL is much more is during the summer months, and holidays. Also, when you research the prices, remember that if you are looking at the big ships, and comparing them to the tiny CCL ships, they will never be the same price. RCCL offers a cruise experience for every budget, and unlike Carnival, RCCL ships are not almost identical. Each class of ship offers a unique experience. (causing different price points)

You say we should have but we didn't and it wasn't all because of the size of the ships.

I think Carnival should just eliminate the past guest party completely for everyone and give Golds 1 anytime drink coupon, Platinums should get 2 anytime drink coupons, and Diamonds should get 3 anytime drink coupons. The anytime drink coupons would be good for any kind of drink at anytime, up to $9.00. They could be added to the cruise document print programs and validated via the POS machines aboard the ships so they cannot be used more than once. :rolleyes: