Thinking of switching allegiances from CelX

gcgold

I don't think lecturers have to audition, they are likely hired just because of their credentials. Some turn out great, others fare worse, often much worse. I also wonder if cruise lines pay much attention to comments about lecturers -- I have seen one woman several times, and she is just as bad every time. At least we now know one of the ones to avoid...

Totally agree with you Don. We usually hang by the back of the room so that we can escape the many bad ones. We don't enjoy being read to or told to look at the beautiful turquoise water, really!

I don't think lecturers have to audition, they are likely hired just because of their credentials. [\QUOTE]

I have heard that lecturers have to submit video of themselves in action. This was instituted a couple years ago to weed out those who have credentials but are not good speakers. May or may not be true.

Maureen

Edited by potterhill

That doesn't sound true of the speaker on our April/May cruise on Marina who had an interesting topic but a rather dull manner of presentation. The other speaker on board was excellent.

Mura

I am beginning to question the direction CelX is heading so would be interested to hear from anyone who has been on recent Celebrity & Oceania and can give a few ideas on what the uses and minuses are for each

Many thanks in anticipation[emoji41]

First, I apologize for any repeats...I did not read all the replies. I love X, but I also love O. Sailed on both.

O is more sedate than X, no disco per se, although they will keep the Horizons bar open and the music playing as long as you are there. More fun events on X, and more bars.

X has a much bigger/broader buffet and their pizza is fabulous. O's buffet is small and (IMHO) has a European vibe. X has a much larger MDR which is not necessarily good. X's ships are larger, which is both positive and negative depending on your point of view.

O carries a very well-traveled, sophisticated clientele (perhaps a tiny bit older) who are usually in bed after the show. O has good shows and often brings on fresh, local talent along the way. Again, this would depend on the ports or lack thereof. As I recall, X only had the entertainment team.

O does not charge you for soft drinks and specialty coffees, or for bottled water, and there is bottled water in your cabin, as much as you like, free. I found it a hassle to have to get out of line and sign a chit to get a bottle of water to take on excursions. O sometimes has free shuttles to town (thinking of Bilbao).

The takeaway? Pluses and Minuses on both sides. I like them both. I choose by itinerary.

Be warned that cruising on O will spoil you forever. We are mostly O cruisers but then took 2 cruises on Summit. I won't say they were awful but after 2 we decided no more. I did feel the music was more to my liking on X than O but otherwise O was just so much better in so many ways that we decided to spend a little more and use Oceania almost 100 percent. We are going on Viking Star this year so there may be a second alternative next year but in the meantime neither one of us has any desire to go on X again.