New to RC. What's Included?

Hello all! I apologize if this is a silly question but I couldn't find my answer on the RC website or here.

I have only ever sailed with NCL, but am considering cancelling my next cruise with them and re-booking with RC on the Anthem of the Seas (which looks insanely amazing). I have gone through the website and here, but can't seem to get a definite picture of what exactly is included in the fare. Can anyone point me to somewhere where it reads specifically what is included?

My primary concerns are: 1) Spa passes. NCL sells spa-passes that allow access to thermal pools, adult whirlpools, etc. for the duration of the cruise. I saw something similar on Anthem, but is it included?

2) Restaurants: There are so many! I am having trouble finding which ones are free and which are upcharge, and what those charges may be.

3) Entertainment: Is there any charge for any performances? How about activities like the robot bar or bumper cars?

4) Is dining open anytime, like on NCL, or do you have to pick a time, stick to it, etc?

Any information you may have is appreciated. Right now, balcony prices on the Anthem are about exactly what I am paying with NCL, but I get the perk of unlimited beverages, and access to the thermal spa pools. If enough amenities are included on Anthem, then I can better swallow the cost of switching my reservation.

I'm following this and would like to add my own question :)... I was on Royal many years ago and I'm going to try them again.

I saw a post where you're required to prepay your tips .... did I read that right?

I'm following this and would like to add my own question :)... I was on Royal many years ago and I'm going to try them again.

I saw a post where you're required to prepay your tips .... did I read that right?

You are only required to prepay tips if you choose My Time dining. If you choose traditional dining, your tips are added to your onboard account daily.

...2) Restaurants: There are so many! I am having trouble finding which ones are free and which are upcharge, and what those charges may be.

Prices and restaurants vary by ship. If you post which ship you are considering, we can give you an idea of extra costs.

3) Entertainment: Is there any charge for any performances? How about activities like the robot bar or bumper cars?

No charge for bumper cars, rock climbing wall, mini-golf, flowrider, i-fly. You pay for drinks at the robot bar, figure at least $12.

4) Is dining open anytime, like on NCL, or do you have to pick a time, stick to it, etc?

Again, depends on the ship. Most ships have traditional and My Time in one main dining room. Newest ships have Dynamic Classic (pick a time and stick to it) and Dynamic Choice (pick your time) in 3 or 4 different "free" restaurants.

You are only required to prepay tips if you choose My Time dining. If you choose traditional dining, your tips are added to your onboard account daily.

You no longer have to pre pay tips with my time dining. I just went through and made a reservation. Selected my time and pre pay tips were optional.

Edited by Klstaack

Thank you! I did mention the ship in my original post. I am considering the Anthem of the Seas - Southern Caribbean itinerary.

Hey Violette. There are many Quantum reviews on this forum for you to look through with a ton of pictures, tips and advice. Anthem seems to be extremely similar, and the itineraries are exactly the same (other than the Bermuda summer routes). On the top of this page you'll see a list of all the RCL ships... click on Quantum and a whole bunch of topics come up. Look for those that say "Review". You'll find many of them comprehenive. A very popular Cruise Critic Member, "Bugsy", just finished a live review of the Southern Itinerary that you will find HUGE helpful.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2194231&highlight=quantum

I did one too, specific to the Southern Carib itinerary, with a million photos tips/hints etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2137643

There are many others. These will likely answer a ton of your questions.

Have great cruise! :D

You no longer have to pre pay tips with my time dining. I just went through and made a reservation. Selected my tip and pre pay tips were optional.

Thanks for the update.:)

Thank you!! I am starting to read them now! That should keep me busy for a while. LOL.

Hey Violette. There are many Quantum reviews on this forum for you to look through with a ton of pictures, tips and advice. Anthem seems to be extremely similar, and the itineraries are exactly the same (other than the Bermuda summer routes). On the top of this page you'll see a list of all the RCL ships... click on Quantum and a whole bunch of topics come up. Look for those that say "Review". You'll find many of them comprehenive. A very popular Cruise Critic Member, "Bugsy", just finished a live review of the Southern Itinerary that you will find HUGE helpful.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2194231&highlight=quantum

I did one too, specific to the Southern Carib itinerary, with a million photos tips/hints etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2137643

There are many others. These will likely answer a ton of your questions.

Have great cruise! :D

You no longer have to pre pay tips with my time dining. I just went through and made a reservation. Selected my time and pre pay tips were optional.

As of 11 days ago at the NextCruise desk, we had to add pre-paid grats to get MTD. They are simply added on to the final payment amount. We were not allowed to book MTD without adding the prepaid gratuities to the reservation.

We booked online less than a month ago. We chose MTD and as I went through the booking, I chose to not do prepaid gratuities. The webpage said it was 'Optional.' When I got to the end of the booking, pre-paid gratuities had been added even though I said No. No way to undo it. Unless it has changed in the last couple of weeks, the booking page is flat out wrong. It is not 'Optional' and they do not explain that.

I didn't know why it happened until I saw someone mention it here on the boards. Frankly, it wasn't a big deal to us either way, but it was pretty annoying to be told something was optional and still have it tacked on at the end regardless.

Their website has not impressed me. Actually, it has. But it's a negative impression. It's our first time on Royal Caribbean. I'm hoping the actual cruise is better than booking and planning.

I had my TA call and change me to MTD today and I did not have to prepay tips to make the change. We sail in less than 30 days.

Sounds like you got extremely lucky then!

Hello all! I apologize if this is a silly question but I couldn't find my answer on the RC website or here.

I have only ever sailed with NCL, but am considering cancelling my next cruise with them and re-booking with RC on the Anthem of the Seas (which looks insanely amazing). I have gone through the website and here, but can't seem to get a definite picture of what exactly is included in the fare. Can anyone point me to somewhere where it reads specifically what is included?

My primary concerns are: 1) Spa passes. NCL sells spa-passes that allow access to thermal pools, adult whirlpools, etc. for the duration of the cruise. I saw something similar on Anthem, but is it included?

2) Restaurants: There are so many! I am having trouble finding which ones are free and which are upcharge, and what those charges may be.

Any information you may have is appreciated. Right now, balcony prices on the Anthem are about exactly what I am paying with NCL, but I get the perk of unlimited beverages, and access to the thermal spa pools. If enough amenities are included on Anthem, then I can better swallow the cost of switching my reservation.

Aha, I am doing the same thing. I have not sailed RCCL, but my cousin loves this line. I am reading through all of the different forums for other lines. My cousin loves RCCL so I thought I would start here.

If it helps any, we were long time Carnival cruisers, and at the urging of our travel agent, we decided to try Royal and had a wonderful time. Ship was absolutely gorgeous and had a very nice cabin--service was excellent for the most part, except our cabin attendant. Have never sailed NCL so can't give any comparative info there. Our TA has been wanting us to try NCL, but I'm not too keen on all of the extra fee restaurants and have heard very mixed reviews on NCL. I think we've found a new cruising home for now, but are always open to other options.

Thank you. That does make me feel better. What can I say? I am a creature of comfort! After going through reviews and dailies, it does seem like NCL tends to nickle and dime a bit more. I was very pleasantly surprised to find out that the bumper calls and roller rink are no-fee! With NCL, we pay $9 for bowling on a rocky ship! I also really like how (and, correct me if I'm wrong) there aren't any areas like Vibe, where you have to pay to hang out on a sundeck.

So far my only issue was that I read you couldn't bring your own water on board. Whaaat? Say it isn't so! I always bring a 24-case for hubby and I to have on-hand, just in case.

Edit: Also, how formal are the most "formal" dining rooms. Would my husband be allowed in with a polo and slacks, or is a jacket/tie necessary?

I am officially booked on the Anthem, January 3rd, sailing to the Southern Caribbean for 12-days! I like my NCL perks but it was time to try something else.

If it helps any, we were long time Carnival cruisers, and at the urging of our travel agent, we decided to try Royal and had a wonderful time. Ship was absolutely gorgeous and had a very nice cabin--service was excellent for the most part, except our cabin attendant. Have never sailed NCL so can't give any comparative info there. Our TA has been wanting us to try NCL, but I'm not too keen on all of the extra fee restaurants and have heard very mixed reviews on NCL. I think we've found a new cruising home for now, but are always open to other options.
Edited by violettewaits

Thank you. That does make me feel better. What can I say? I am a creature of comfort! After going through reviews and dailies, it does seem like NCL tends to nickle and dime a bit more. I was very pleasantly surprised to find out that the bumper calls and roller rink are no-fee! With NCL, we pay $9 for bowling on a rocky ship! I also really like how (and, correct me if I'm wrong) there aren't any areas like Vibe, where you have to pay to hang out on a sundeck.

So far my only issue was that I read you couldn't bring your own water on board. Whaaat? Say it isn't so! I always bring a 24-case for hubby and I to have on-hand, just in case.

I am officially booked on the Anthem, January 3rd, sailing to the Southern Caribbean for 12-days! I like my NCL perks but it was time to try something else.

While it is technically not allowed, many people report successfully doing so, and others not getting away with it. We brought some sodas and snacks onboard (not a lot though), but still bought the soda cards and all was well. I'm. It going to get into ethics, morals, etc about bringing on technically prohibited items--that's a personal judgement call--doesn't matter to me one way or another. I know that I will still spend money on board with them

Oops--missed your edit. I wore a pair of slacks, a button down shirt, a tie, and nice boots for formal night. Saw others on tuxes, and some people in shorts and a polo shirt

Regards question 1, Spa Passes, Adult Whirlpools are free however spa vitality facilities were offered on Quantum for $15 per day so prices likely the same as Anthem.

I had to! We were originally booked for late dinner seating and had our TA change to MTD. She then informed me that $12 p/p per day would be added... so there went another $120. Hmmmm

Oh and we made this change early in April.

I had to! We were originally booked for late dinner seating and had our TA change to MTD. She then informed me that $12 p/p per day would be added... so there went another $120. Hmmmm

Oh and we made this change early in April.

I don't see why prepaying is a requirement at all. Even on assigned dining, they'll add the charges everyday either way. Don't see what difference it makes to pay now or later as far as the cruise line is concerned.

On the dining page for Anthem of the Seas, http://www.royalcaribbean.com/anthemoftheseas/dining/restaurants/

click on "Visit Restaurant" for each venue, then scroll down to "Details" (or click the link at the top) to see if there is a charge (indicated by $$$ only, no prices listed) or "Complimentary".

"Dynamic Dining" is a new to Royal concept only on Anthem (& Quantum) and should be rolled out to Oasis and Allure later in the year. It's very similar to Norwegian's Freestyle Dining, with the major difference being that there are no Main Dining Rooms (like the Manhattan Room, etc.) with rotating nightly menus on Anthem. The four "complimentary" restaurants taking the place of the MDRs are: American Icon Grill, Chic, The Grande Restaurant, and Silk. If you are in a Suite, there's a fifth complimentary restaurant, Coastal Kitchen, exclusive to guests in Suites only.

(Note: Chic is on Anthem and Quantum only.)

Devinly Decadence is now listed as a complimentary restaurant.

The Windjammer Marketplace is the complimentary buffet restaurant.

Cafe Promenade, the Cafe @ Two70, Sorrento's Pizza and SeaPlex Dog House are also complimentary.

Michael's Genuine Pub, Izumi Japanese Cuisine, (Jamie's Kitchen?), and Johnny Rockets are a la carte. Jamie's Kitchen was one cover charge, however, word is that they've changed to an a la carte menu.

Johnny Rockets on Anthem and Quantum are more like ones you would find at Six Flags (ate there for lunch today) with no wait staff whereas all the other ships have the singing & dancing waitstaff with one cover charge.

There is a photo attached in this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2122602 with prices on Quantum. Should be the same on Anthem. $2.50 for Burgers and Sandwiches, $1.50 for Fries and/or Onion Rings. (Much better than the $13.99 plus soda and tax I paid at Six Flags.)

Chops Grille is between $30-$40 depending on ship. There may be an additional upcharge for certain menu items. Prime Table is the Formal dining room for Chops Grille.

Wonderland also has a fee to dine.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!

[url=http://www.royalcaribbean.com/anthemoftheseas/dining/restaurants/][/url]