9 Day Baltic Cruise

BigB0882

We are thinking of taking a Baltic Cruise in June of 2016 on NCL. I have never sailed NCL before and honestly, with what I have been reading lately, NCL would not be my first choice but it seems the best out of the Baltic cruises that I have looked at. Good price, good itinerary and is 9 days instead of the 14 day we found on Princess that has many wasted sea days. Has anyone done this cruise? I noticed they still have their offers where you get to choose a perk such as free wifi or dining credit, etc. I did not see the drink package listed, I thought this was one of the things they were offering. Is it not offered on European cruises or has that offer been taken off the table? As it stands, I think we would take the excursion credit since we would get $200 and take one nice NCL excursion at one of the ports. The other excursions would probably be done with a private group such as SPB (or is it SBP?) or we would just walk around on our own.

We want to spend a few days after the cruise to take a train to Paris and then on to London. Anyone have any advice? What about airplane tickets? The idea that just getting there and home will cost as much as the cruise is kind of sickening but so far we haven't found a way around that. Any tips on how to find the best airfare? We plan on flying into Copenhagen and out of London (from and back to New Orleans).

Any other things I should know as I begin doing research? I will search these threads but thought I should post a new thread in case someone went recently and wanted to share their experience.

Thanks!

The drink package was offered last month. It is not being currently offered.

We did this trip a few years back and it was incredible. We had perfect weather and made some lifelong friends as we shared a lot of excursions. It is an expensive place, all the ports. It is a very, very tiring cruise as there are lots of ports with very early mornings and very late nights. Very full of activity. Something that is rarely mentioned also: there are a LOT of time changes.

The drink package was offered last month. It is not being currently offered.

We did this trip a few years back and it was incredible. We had perfect weather and made some lifelong friends as we shared a lot of excursions. It is an expensive place, all the ports. It is a very, very tiring cruise as there are lots of ports with very early mornings and very late nights. Very full of activity. Something that is rarely mentioned also: there are a LOT of time changes.

Are the time changes what makes the ports late/early because the itinerary I saw didn't have anything out of the normal, mostly 7am to 5pm or so.

It does look tiring but we would plan on taking it easy in one or two of the stops, just walking around and enjoying ourselves.

I am worried about the cost, I don't think my husband realizes how much we will spend during the cruise, on Carnival and in the Caribbean we can get by with hardly spending anything at all or just very little. Not going to happen in Europe, especially when we don't know when we will be able to get back.

Another question about the time changes, how is it handled in Europe? Do you always stay on ship time like Carnival does or do they change times and tell you to know the local time?

Edited by BigB0882

Is Princess still offering the 11-day Baltic roundtrip from Copenhagen? We sailed that and thought it was great. Only 2 sea days.

I did not see an 11 day but I did not check anything outside of June and July 2016. I am not sure I could do an 11 day with only 2 sea days. The 9 day only has 2 sea days so adding in 2 more port stops seems a bit much.

Thank goodness I am a teacher so I can come home from this cruise and relax. I don't think I could do this and go back to work. lol

We are on this itinerary on Monday and are really looking forward to it. I believe the shore excursion credit in the current NCL promo is $50 per port so you can't combine the 4 ports for one excursion for $200. The OBC is probably the better option so you could use it for whatever you want on board. Check out the ports of call board for your travels to Paris, London and do it yourself in the Baltic ports. You will need a credit card with a chip and pin # for the train tickets and DIY travel. You will want to book an excursion for the 2 days in St. Petersburg due to the visa requirements. Several on our roll call used low cost airline, Norwegian Air, for the flights to CPH.

Edited by herdingdogmom

Thank you. Did not realize you couldn't combine the excursion credit. The OBC just seemed small from what I remember reading yesterday but at least we could use that on anything. Will check out Norwegian Air! Thanks!

We are on this itinerary on Monday and are really looking forward to it.

Hope you'll post after your travels. We sail in September so I'd be particularly interested in your St Petersburg disembarkation experience (lines, time, gangway deck, any mention of delaying private excursions vs NCL excursions, etc), especially if you're not sailing in a suite. If you're taking requests. ;)

Safe travels.

Edited by AWENINAZ

We sailed the Baltics on the Star last June and it was amazing. We booked the 5 port tour with Alla Tours and were happy with all of them. I usually book ship tours, but Alla (and SPB tours) have such great reviews and were quite a bit cheaper, it was worth it. Also, we didn't have to have different forms of cash for each of the ports.

One thing that was neat was that we made friends with others on the tour and were with them day after day. Most of us had booked the 5 port, others the three port tour. It was a nice way to get to know people. We had a couple on our tours who did their own thing in Stockholm - apparently not all of the HOHO busses return all the way to the dock we were ported at - so they rode to the end of the line and the driver told them they had to get off - or head back into town. Eventually another bus came, but they said they were worried about not making it back in time.

We didn't have any problems getting off (or back on the ship) in St. Petersburg, but we are early for everything. They give you a slip the first time you disembark (Russian Customs) and you have to turn it back in on the second day when you return to the ship - just don't lose it. When we returned, the girl was on her cell phone - guess they didn't really care what we were doing as long as we were leaving the country.

We ended up buying our souveniers at the port store in St. Petersburg - the prices weren't all that bad - we bought one nicer nesting doll set and a couple of cheap (less than $5) as gifts for nieces and nephews.

Talinn was our favorite port - and to think, I didn't even know the city existed before we booked the cruise and started researching.

We didn't have the best weather that week - but all in all it was great. The airfare will probably cost your more than the cruise - but, for us it was worth it. I think we booked airfare in March or April for June.

Have fun!

Edited by Tricialy

Hope you'll post after your travels. We sail in September so I'd be particularly interested in your St Petersburg disembarkation experience (lines, time, gangway deck, any mention of delaying private excursions vs NCL excursions, etc), especially if you're not sailing in a suite. If you're taking requests. ;)

Safe travels.

We are in a suite and will use the concierge for disembarking. We are on a private excursion though and will surely hear about others being delayed as we wait for them. It is the first NCL Baltics run of the season - by Sept they should have delays ironed out. What other questions do you have?

Baltic cruises are great.

Regrading pre or post cruise plans, I suggest you consider visiting Copenhagen for a few day. It is a great city and there is a lot to see outside the city.

Going to Paris or London is fine, but it may add to your travel costs, since both cities are some distance from Copenhagen.

Trains, in Europe are not cheap anymore.

What other questions do you have?

Can't think of anything else right now, except maybe if there's a laundry special (price and day) with this being a longer cruise. St Petersburg is my main concern. I'll be eagerly awaiting reviews from the early season cruisers. Have fun!

Our Baltic cruise was one of the greatest vacations we've ever experienced. The ship changes time according to the port. St Petersburg, Talliinn, and Helsinki are 7 hours ahead of US east coast time, the rest are six ahead. Tallinn was an unexpected gem.

London is one of the greatest cities in the world but try to avoid flying home from there. UK departure taxes are incredibly high. You might want to fly to London first, then travel to Paris before heading home. Lots of cheap flights intra-Europe. The train from London to Paris isn't bad, either. Or you could do London and Paris pre-cruise and fly home from CPH. Give yourself some time to see Copenhagen, too. It's a great city.

Thanks everyone. My only concern about doing London and Paris first is what if something happens and we can't get to Copenhagen on time and then we miss the cruise which is the entire point of the trip! I guess we could plan ahead and get to Copenhagen a day early to be safe. Maybe we will just stay in Copenhagen after the cruise and do London and Paris another time, we are young so we have plenty of time to get back to Europe. Another option is going from Copenhagen after the cruise to Austria. That is another place we would love to visit.

Edited by BigB0882

Thanks everyone. My only concern about doing London and Paris first is what if something happens and we can't get to Copenhagen on time and then we miss the cruise which is the entire point of the trip! I guess we could plan ahead and get to Copenhagen a day early to be safe. Maybe we will just stay in Copenhagen after the cruise and do London and Paris another time, we are young so we have plenty of time to get back to Europe. Another option is going from Copenhagen after the cruise to Austria. That is another place we would love to visit.

Hello BigB0882,

First, let me begin by saying that you will thoroughly enjoy this trip. My DH and I went on this exact trip last July, and it provided a lifetime of memories. Our trip:

LA to Paris - Check out air italia airlines (I found phenomenal prices, and you have the ability to book different seat classes on the legs to enhance to overall journey)

Paris - rent an apartment (airbnb was our choice)...not only did this save money, but it added to the overall experience.

Paris to Copenhagen - we flew in a couple days before because of similar concerns, but made plenty of great friends who expressed no difficulty with catching red-eye the night before.

Baltic Cruise - AWESOME (tours were mostly booked through external companies and had no difficulty with getting on or off the cruise) As for money spent, that depends on your personal budget, but we saved cost by taking tons of pictures and limiting memorabilia.

Copenhagen post cruise 2 days - added expense, but there was so much we wanted to see that it made it worth it. On that note, unless old world charm is your preference, stay at the Hilton by the airport. Pre-cruise was in the city and post next to airport. Post was half the cost and a MUCH nicer room. Add plus is the train runs right up to the hotel and lets on downtown. Definitely cheaper than the cabs, and way more comfortable.

Copenhagen to LA - little downgrade in seats to save money, but we slept most of the trip anyways.

***Lesson Learned - the Baltic ports tend to be very expensive - especially Copenhagen, Helsinki, and Stockholm

***No need to book excursion in Tallinn - easily walkable

***No need to go to Berlin (ports are just as nice experience) however, other than 3 hour bus ride, Berlin was a great excursion

***Consider external companies that offer combined port tours at discount

***Book a THERMAL SPA pass - you will be doing tons of walking and there is nothing better than a personal retreat to soak those muscles.

***As you still have time...book external elements (hotels, excursions, etc..) early to save money.

I could go in to estimate budget, but that truly depends on your traveling style. That said, just remember that for most this is a once in a lifetime cruise. Don't over think it too much.

Hopefully this helps,

D&B

Hello BigB0882,

First, let me begin by saying that you will thoroughly enjoy this trip. My DH and I went on this exact trip last July, and it provided a lifetime of memories. Our trip:

LA to Paris - Check out air italia airlines (I found phenomenal prices, and you have the ability to book different seat classes on the legs to enhance to overall journey)

Paris - rent an apartment (airbnb was our choice)...not only did this save money, but it added to the overall experience.

Paris to Copenhagen - we flew in a couple days before because of similar concerns, but made plenty of great friends who expressed no difficulty with catching red-eye the night before.

Baltic Cruise - AWESOME (tours were mostly booked through external companies and had no difficulty with getting on or off the cruise) As for money spent, that depends on your personal budget, but we saved cost by taking tons of pictures and limiting memorabilia.

Copenhagen post cruise 2 days - added expense, but there was so much we wanted to see that it made it worth it. On that note, unless old world charm is your preference, stay at the Hilton by the airport. Pre-cruise was in the city and post next to airport. Post was half the cost and a MUCH nicer room. Add plus is the train runs right up to the hotel and lets on downtown. Definitely cheaper than the cabs, and way more comfortable.

Copenhagen to LA - little downgrade in seats to save money, but we slept most of the trip anyways.

***Lesson Learned - the Baltic ports tend to be very expensive - especially Copenhagen, Helsinki, and Stockholm

***No need to book excursion in Tallinn - easily walkable

***No need to go to Berlin (ports are just as nice experience) however, other than 3 hour bus ride, Berlin was a great excursion

***Consider external companies that offer combined port tours at discount

***Book a THERMAL SPA pass - you will be doing tons of walking and there is nothing better than a personal retreat to soak those muscles.

***As you still have time...book external elements (hotels, excursions, etc..) early to save money.

I could go in to estimate budget, but that truly depends on your traveling style. That said, just remember that for most this is a once in a lifetime cruise. Don't over think it too much.

Hopefully this helps,

D&B

I second this. I arranged tours and plans for a group of 22 on this trip a few years ago. We used TJ Travel for Berlin and St. Petersburg, and they were awesome. This trip is very port intensive. Helsinki, Stockholm, and Talinn are very easy to DIY- using public transport, or legs (as in Talinn).

I strongly recommend looking at the Ports section for a plethora of information on this trip.

Cheers

Thanks for all the tips, focusresumed! I really appreciate it and will take every bit of it to heart.

Always a pleasure! Feel free to ask away; if you have any other questions.

On a side note, if you haven't heard before, this is a port intensive vacation; that hardly offers a moment of relaxation. In fact, much unlike many of our personal vacations (tad bit foodies and drinkers), the DH and I actually lost weight; without even trying!

Now I want to go back. :rolleyes:

D&B

Consider spending some time in Scandinavia. Norway is awesome. I doubt if your cruise goes to Norway.

If one does a b2b on the Star in September 2016 it is possible to do Baltic AND Norway.

If one does a b2b on the Star in September 2016 it is possible to do Baltic AND Norway.

Yes, we had people on our cruise that had done that. Norway was great, but the Star cancelled Alesund due to a cat 2 hurricane coming our way.

We would like to go back and do the North Cape.

We are on this itinerary on Monday and are really looking forward to it. ... ... You will want to book an excursion for the 2 days in St. Petersburg due to the visa requirements.

I'm doing this cruise on July 23rd. I've booked my St. Petersburg excursion with NCL (the 2 day one). I'll be interested in your report about disembarking in Saint Petersburg, lines at immigration, how they arrange debarkation for NCL shore excursions compared to those booked independently, etc. (and the rest of the cruise in general, of course)

Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm doing this cruise on July 23rd. I've booked my St. Petersburg excursion with NCL (the 2 day one). I'll be interested in your report about disembarking in Saint Petersburg, lines at immigration, how they arrange debarkation for NCL shore excursions compared to those booked independently, etc. (and the rest of the cruise in general, of course)

We enjoyed our cruise. The Star looks good after all the updates: new carpet throughout, a high tech photo gallery, iconcierge, an updated atrium area - the gross plastic fountains have been repurposed, the spinnaker lounge now has some windows near the back, the O'Sheehan's space is a huge improvement - the food is about the same as before.

We had reservations for all our dinners - complementary and service charge restaurants. On the last 2 nights we had 30 minute waits at Moderno and MDR Versailles. I can't recommend Moderno. The salad bar is great, but the meat service is long and very drawn out. We left at 10:00pm after having 1 small piece of overcooked chicken. We recommend checking out the deck 8 forward crew only viewing area when leaving Stockholm. The islands are so picturesque.

St. Petersburg disembarkation took a long time. We were off first on a private tour with the concierge's help and still had to wait 20+ minutes in the ships elevator bays. The NCL arranged excursions were there at the same time we were. The immigration officials are VERY SLOW. All the booths seemed to be manned, but it was one person (a family can't all go together) at a time at 3+ minutes each. They didn't ask any questions or talk to us, but there seemed to be some delay with their computer system. On the first day they give you a piece of paper. You hand it in at the end of day one - lots of passport stamping. On day two, it all went much more quickly. On our private tour, we waited a good 30 - 45 minutes for everyone to get through the immigration process on the first day. We used TJ tours and were very happy with them and our guide. They have wi fi on the bus!

Edited by herdingdogmom

Can't think of anything else right now, except maybe if there's a laundry special (price and day) with this being a longer cruise. St Petersburg is my main concern. I'll be eagerly awaiting reviews from the early season cruisers. Have fun!

We had a great cruise and enjoyed the ports and ship. The immigration lines in St. Petersburg were quite long. It was a slow process as they check each person and passport individually. See my other post about this process. The quickest way if you are not in a suite is with an NCL excursion.

2 laundry bag special were offered during the 9 day cruise at $24.95 each. I'm thinking it was about day 3 and 7. Laundry came back perfectly.