trip to St. John

wolfsnare

I can't find the post from a few weeks ago about how to get to St. John. On the Princess web site all the excursions to St. John are not available until the end of April! Does that mean that they are sold out? Any suggestions? Lisa

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;4;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Conquest 4/03 Victory 12/03 Golden Princess 4/04

It is very easy to get to St. John on the ferry from either Charlotte Amalie or Red Hook. The island is small and can be hiked easily. I don't think an excursion is necessary. We hiked from behind the National Park building to Honeymoon Beach (a picture of paradise) passed some burros and found a very secluded resort to have a drink. then we took a cab back to town.

CCL Holiday 2000

CCL Elation 2001

CCL Pride 2002

CCL Ecstacy 2003

RCL AOS 2003

Sun Princess May 14 2004!!

Hi Lisa -

6 days 'n counting, can you stand it!? We have the Golden's live webcam from kroooz-cams.com up and running non-stop, the weather is beautiful down there right now.

The link to the STT to STJ Ferry Schedule is at St. John Ferry Schedule You can grab the ferry either in downtown Charlotte Amalie (less taxi, more boat) or Red Hook (vice versa) - just tell your taxi driver you want to take the taxi from either locale and he'll drop you off pierside.

B.

P.S. - The sailaway party is in the Oasis Bar area if you're interested!

Ship_at_island.gif

(With apologies to Jimmy Buffett)

"We're gypsies in the palace, at sea, away from home

The Order Of The Sleepless Knights will now assume the throne!

Come sail the Caribbean, there ain't no wrong or right

We're gypsies in the palace and we're raisin' hell tonight!"

Carnival Triumph, April '02

Carnival Sensation, January '04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;4;10;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

(Golden Princess, 4/10/04 - "Grown People Acting Like Children!")

4/10/04 Golden Princess Rogue's gallery: http://community.webshots.com/album/126040133QEaDiP

Cruise pix at: http://community.webshots.com/user/mageesworld

e-mail: bobandkarenny@yahoo.com

Here's "Going to St. John's for Dummies" (me): Eat breakfast on the ship, get off early. Look for tall fellow in flowered shirt and tell him you need transportation to Red Hook. Safari bus to Red Hook $8pp. Take ferry from Red Hook to Cruz Bay $3pp. Look for safari bus to Trunk Bay $4pp. Arrive at Trunk Bay, fee to get in $4pp. Same prices for the return trip. There is a snorkeling trail and snorkeling equipment for rent there. Also a snack bar and a place for changing. It gets crowded after lunch so that is a good time to leave and go shop at Havensight. Have fun. It's crystal clear water and a beautiful beach.

Thanks so much for the info! I'm not usually timid about going new places, but for some reason I'm feeling aprehensive about going there on our own! : icon_frown.gif I think I'd feel better if I could find a good map of the area. Where is Red Hook in relation to where we get off the ship ? Doesn't the ship dock in Charlotte Amalie?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;4;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Conquest 4/03 Victory 12/03 Golden Princess 4/04

wolfsnare - Try this link

St. Thomas Map

Red Hook is really easy to get to and back from, it's not problem at all. Just check the ferry schedule and have a tentative plan for the ferry schedules. Red Hook is approx. 15-20 minutes from Havensight. Charlotte Amalie is 5 minutes from Havensight but be forewarned that the traffic gets thick just prior to the time you need to be aboard and can take as much as 30 minutes at the height of traffic.

St. John is wonderful and well worth the teenie bit of planning it will take.

Sharon

Elation 05/98

Paradise 04/99

Destiny 10/99

Inspiration 05/00

Enchantment of the Seas 10/00

Rhapsody of the Seas 03/01

Carnival Spirit 05/01

Grandeur of the Seas 11/01

Ocean Princess 04/02

Jubilee 09/02

Carnival Conquest 03/03

Serenade of the Seas 11/08/03

Rhapsody of the Seas 02/29/04-Daughter's Wedding

Caribbean Princess 06/05/04

Cast off the ropes, cast off your cares...we're outta here

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;06;05;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 <marquee>SUNSHINE DAYDREAM...GOIN' WHERE THE CLIMATE SUITS MY CLOTHES</marquee>

If you go to Trunk Bay, you can use the National Park Golden Eagle Pass and avoid the $4.00 charge (children under 16 were free). There is snorkeling equipment (I recall the price was $5.00), sand chairs ($7.00 rental fee), and a snack bar with hamburgers, hotdogs, french fries, and drinks. The beach is beautiful!! Don't miss this gem.

Wolfsnare, if my husband and I got there and back by ourselves, you can! We were wrecks worrying about it beforehand and it was so easy. I recommend taking a safari bus to Red Hook to catch the ferry because it is on the other side of the island (20-30 minutes) and that's a good way to take a mini sightseeing tour of the island. The ferry ride is about 20 minutes to St. John from Red Hook and the ride from Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay is also not very long. They will stop along the way so that you can take pictures of Trunk Bay from a distance. The ship docks at Havensight which is a short distance from Charlotte Amalie. There is a ferry that leaves from Charlotte Amalie but it doesn't leave as often as the one at Red Hook.

Someone told me about a sky tram that goes up the mountain in St. John (or was it St. Thomas?)

to a cool bar and you can see the view of the harbors, etc.... What is that called?

RC Nordic Empress 1/92 Bahamas

RC Enchantment W Carib 1/01 Legend to Hawaii 3/03

Next:

Carib Princess E Carib 6/04

I believe it's called Paradise Point and its not too far from where the ship docks. You can walk. They'll give you info about St. Thomas in your mailbox outside your stateroom and there should be a map showing you where it is. If not, get the info on the counter at the Purser's Desk. There is an admission but I'm sorry I don't remember how much it was. It's a beautiful view.

i agree...very easy trip to do on your own...we opted to try cinammon bay beach (some locals on the bus in st. john recommended it, no entrance fee) and were glad we did...more secluded; not crowded and there were chairs and refreshments available. lovely beach.

nancy

Lisa -

There's also a good map of St. John at:

St. John Park Map

You'll need Adobe "Acrobat Reader" to open it.

As for doing this trip on your own, we did it our very first cruise, totally wet behind the ears, and totally clueless, and it was easier than falling off a log. Really. Nothing to it. You'll amaze yourself. Go for it girl!

B.

Ship_at_island.gif

(With apologies to Jimmy Buffett)

"We're gypsies in the palace, at sea, away from home

The Order Of The Sleepless Knights will now assume the throne!

Come sail the Caribbean, there ain't no wrong or right

We're gypsies in the palace and we're raisin' hell tonight!"

Carnival Triumph, April '02

Carnival Sensation, January '04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;4;10;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

(Golden Princess, 4/10/04 - "Grown People Acting Like Children!")

4/10/04 Golden Princess Rogue's gallery: http://community.webshots.com/album/126040133QEaDiP

Cruise pix at: http://community.webshots.com/user/mageesworld

e-mail: bobandkarenny@yahoo.com

Archived