Prices.

RCCL added freaking bumper cars to their ships in the past year. BUMPER CARS!!!!! Those things were all the rage during the 1920s-1950s. Really RCCL, that is the best you can do? We are excited to try new cruise lines and also revisit some others lines we have not been on in awhile. RCCL is still a good line, but no longer a great line. The value is just not there for the money anymore imo. I am not loyal to any cruise line, so it is time for me to part ways.

I thought you were joking...then I saw this video on Vista. WOW. O.O RCI loyalist perks are better but Carnival has much better adult-options for fun like the brewery, skyride, IMAX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_JZhBv-J2k

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_JZhBv-J2k

Edited by cruisevv

To me comparing any AI to cruising is apples to oranges. To me a cruise is nowhere comparable to any AI resort. We all know most cruises are not AI. Aside from the value of cruising I would never consider an AI at all. I don't want to spend two or three weeks at one place, which sometimes is even in a remote location with nowhere to go outside the resort. I want my Hotel (aka ship) to drop me off at a new exciting port every couple of days. Sorry but even at ten bucks a day an AI wouldn't be better value to me.

That's fair, but many do compare them on this board and I was simply stating that they are not necessarily more expensive, and in fact, often much less expensive when you add it all up.

I don't spend two or three weeks in on AI, most people don't, but then I don't cruise for two or three weeks at a time either. Wish i could afford to.

And if you do your homework, you don't need to be 'dropped off' in some remote location for a week.

I've been on quite a few Caribbean cruises and there are lots of ports that ain't all that exciting any more, if they ever were. :)

But its great that we we all have plenty of options for vacations. Thats all I am saying.

That's fair, but many do compare them on this board and I was simply stating that they are not necessarily more expensive, and in fact, often much less expensive when you add it all up.

I don't spend two or three weeks in on AI, most people don't, but then I don't cruise for two or three weeks at a time either. Wish i could afford to.

And if you do your homework, you don't need to be 'dropped off' in some remote location for a week.

I've been on quite a few Caribbean cruises and there are lots of ports that ain't all that exciting any more, if they ever were. :)

But its great that we we all have plenty of options for vacations. Thats all I am saying.

I agree about the caribbean. That's why one caribbean cruise was enough for me. I cruise the med, Baltics, alaska, New England, Canada, Iceland, Canada, Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand,.....

Two weeks is a minimum for me to call it a vacation. Everything less is just a short trip.

ETA Fully agree with your last sentence as well.

Edited by Paulxyz2004

This comes under the category of "to each their own". Anyone looking for a vacation should investigate all the choices available to them; including AI's. But like cruising, AI's aren't for everyone either. And like all vacation choices, pricing is pretty much driven by supply and demand, and if good or popular enough, prices will rise.

I enjoyed many in the past, but I too am finding them to not be as exciting as they used to be.

Indeed!

I guess my beef is with the folks that continue to say: "prices are too high, I am abandoning cruising and going elsewhere." 1: well do it already, you know your own budget constraints, so no need to whine here. And 2: beware, prices are rising everywhere, so it may not be the bargain you thought it was.

From my signature, you can see that I'm a Carnival fan. With the exception of a few minor instances, I've always enjoyed sailing on Carnival because its affordable and we always have a great time. Being the group coordinator I suggested we try a different cruise line and we're sailing on the Adventure of the Seas next year.

Meanwhile, I'm research everything I can regarding AOS and Royal. Lately, I'm seeing a lot of negative comments regarding RCL. From increase in cabin prices, staff service, to 40% increase in drink prices, etc. I'm not going to let these comments deter me from sailing RCL next year, but I'm hoping that once onboard the AOS, RCL proves most of the negative comments wrong. :)

Totally agree with you! This will be my first with RC and I am hoping what is being said is blown up a bit. All of my cruises with Carnival the service, food and staff have all been wonderful. Sailing on AOS next May and I can't wait. If the drinks are cold and the sun is shining it will be a great cruise!

Sorry for you are most wrong. I love how people tell you want you paid.

Didn't tell you what you paid, I just said I didn't buy it.

We flew On Hawaiian Airlines to Honolulu . We stayed March 26 to April Second. We stayed at the Tapas Tower with an upgraded room which was the 35th floor. The trip was that price via Hawaiian Airlines website.

And on that same site, the cheapest Hilton room for the same week next year is $2700pp (including rt airfare from SFO), so $5400 for two (or was the price you paid for one?). Want a guaranteed Alii Tower Ocean View, price is now $3100pp.

Sorry pal, you can eat all over the island with great food without ever having to go to big restaurants. Its called tipping the parking valet. Its amazing what they will tell you.

I can tell you a lot of places for eating as well, as I travel to HI a fair amount. Some places you have to travel for, so that either adds some amount of public transportation costs, or you add a car rental and car parking (BTW, did you forget to mention the daily resort fee, valet fee, gas, or the additional tipping to get those recommendations?). But still expect to pay $100pp/pd for meals (yes, searching and traveling can possibly get this to $50pp/pd, but this requires some amount of research, but why I also suggested that you will spend $20per person per meal).

But good for you, maybe you did get an awesome deal of $2163 hotel+rt for two (which my simple research shows more than that price for one traveler for next year), but you still failed to add in your resort fees, parking/valet fees, car/transportation fees, restaurants, entertainment, etc., without which you won't provide a good comparison.

Now THIS I can't abide. It's already bad enough that RCI charges 5.95 for orders after 10pm. :rolleyes:

Actually its after midnight and until 5am and its 3.95 :) Or at least it has been on every ship Ive been on so far. I do understand the point you are trying to make though.

Edited by ryano

After reading all of these types of threads, I'm beginning to believe that Cruise Critic is being used as a tool and that there are several posters among the boards that are 'plants' from other cruise lines beating the war drums.

It's possible, but most times I thinks it's just genuinely someone who is disappointed. I do think it sometimes has to be taken with a grain of salt, as people venting their frustrations sometimes tend to make things sound worse than they really are. I would not assume that they are "plants form other cruise lines," though.

After reading all of these types of threads, I'm beginning to believe that Cruise Critic is being used as a tool and that there are several posters among the boards that are 'plants' from other cruise lines beating the war drums.

Thats a heck of a conspiracy theory there and one that I would highly disagree with. I think some people, including myself at times, just take the word "critic" a little more literally than others.

crit·ic

ˈkridik/

noun

1. a person who expresses an unfavorable opinion of something.

Well it would be very very easy to do. You nor I would not know any different either. I think it's very plausible that this occurs. Also, a critic can offer a favorable opinion as well. Unfortunately when this occurs, quite a few don't wish to hear it so they bang their drums even louder.

RCCL does some things great, especially for active teens. rock climbing, ice skating (limited hours), flow rider, water play and maybe a zipline (too short) on many ships. But say you are in your 40's and kid has been there done that and you are sailing w/o an active teen........... It would be hard to pay the difference if not planning on using that stuff, especially if have seen the broadway/ice shows and sort of 'been there/done that' yourself or just thinking you might like a Guy's burger better than Johnny Rockets.

Rccl is cheaper for families coming from DCL. But the same families that jumped ship from DCL to RCCL might soon jump to Carnival for better food and better prices if not "using" the perks anyway. Especially if Carnival can get them to different ports or if they are the pax not to want to spend money on specialty dining.

Diamond benefits do help stay with RCCL, though. I think RCCL can keep pax happier if they provide enough staff such that pax say, "I tried Carnival and liked some of the food better but the SERVICE on RCCL is so much better". I think cutting back staff too much will hurt them. Pax still want to feel a little pampered on a vacation, especially cruising and especially if paying more. This isn't a hiking/camping/roughing it sort of vacation. Toilets need to flush on command, lines should be minimal, and a server should ask you if you need a refill when at the pool or a bar w/o needing to hunt them down.

Time will tell.

Well it would be very very easy to do. You nor I would not know any different either. I think it's very plausible that this occurs. Also, a critic can offer a favorable opinion as well. Unfortunately when this occurs, quite a few don't wish to hear it so they bang their drums even louder.

I agree with you and it would be very easy to do! Of course it would be hard to prove, but it's very possible