Thieves on board - Quantum of the Seas

Sorry for your loss whether through theft or whether it was brushed against and fell to the floor. Please put this whole incident into perspective and enjoy your cruise. That is what most people are trying to say.

It sounds like guest services did everything they could for you. The security officer they called may have walked half way across the ship. He may have been in a meeting, but certainly he was doing something more important than looking for a door magnet. On repositioning cruises there is a high turnover in staff so he may have been doing training or setting up training protocol. On this cruise in particular, one that this ship will only do once, there is a lot of security training involved. You took this cruise and you are paying RCCL to keep you safe and that is the security officer's job. If he did not smile and make nice, that is not what he is trained to do. More likely he got to where he is through a no nonsense attitude.

You can let this ruin your cruise, or you can shrug your shoulders and say "let this be the worst thing that happens".

Edited by EGG

Door decorations should be banned, they are an eyesore ! I don't want to know it's your birthday or you are just engaged.. Keep it to yourself. The actually definition of theft has not been met in the circumstances .. Simply a prank and nothing more.. Please keep a sense of reality and put your fridge magnets on your fridge at home.. Ed

I can only hope that someone with Royal Caribbean sees a thread as long as this over a stolen door magnet and makes it forbidden for door magnets in the future. I'm not a fan of them either. While it's never right to take something that is not yours, this is something put out there to attract attention. Sometimes the attention it attracts is not welcome. We foolishly left a camera, that to us was of value and certainly had some sentimental value as well. Guest Services called left a message in the cabin that they had our camera. A member of the staff spotted it. They looked and the first picture on it was our cabin door (with no door magnets) and our name and a cell phone number was the second photo. On another cruise my daughter left her purse with credit cards and cash among the items included. She thought she left it on bench on shore so she didn't even contact Guest Services to report it missing. Guest services called. It had been left in the WJ, where we went to get a snack after returning to the ship. They had gone to the trouble to look up her name on the credit card and leave a message in our cabin. On another cruise an aunt of mine was ready to call and report that the cabin steward had stolen a ring of hers she left in the desk drawer. We begged her to look carefully through her things before making such an accusation. She found it in her things where she had put it and forgotten she had moved it. I think both security and Guest Services do a really good job on the ships. Thank goodness she didn't make such a harmful accusation. I am just shaking my head at the thought that someone expects security to review footage to find who took a door magnet. I might be disappointed that it was gone, but I would not waste one moment of my vacation or a single minute of GS or Security's time on trying to find who took my door magnet. BTW...I'm come down the hall, gotten a bit off balance and had a bruise on my arm from bumping into a DOOR MAGNET. I guess since it's your property, I should sue for damages. Does this sound unreasonable, overdramatic or over the top????

I agree security shouldn't be called on a case of missing magnets. It's the chance you take when you place them on your door. I however, think magnets are fun, and since we are on vacation they are a way to brighten up the doors. Since I make my own, if someone steals them, I can make them again. So personalize them. I have never had any stolen.

Just the same as anywhere, I would never leave anything out in public that I felt I couldn't bear to lose. The outside of your door is "out in public".

Yes, it's a shame that there are people who would filch some magnets or signs for fun or profit (?), but I can't see bothering security over it.

I can only hope that someone with Royal Caribbean sees a thread as long as this over a stolen door magnet and makes it forbidden for door magnets in the future. ????

This might be the next big inflammatory thread topicI Right up there with booze smuggling, smoking, and letting young children roam the ship. I personally think we need the DOJ to step in here. Obviously some security retraining is needed.

• 3 weeks later...
Just a suggestion, but if you have an idea of an approximate time that you noticed them missing, I would let Guest Services know. There are cameras strategically located in the hallways, so Security may be able to determine who took your things off your door.

On our cruise on Allure in February, someone kept ringing our doorbell in the evenings after 9PM. After a quick call to Guest Services, Security got involved and was able to identify the "youngster" that was doing it. Needless to say, we had no further problems.

Had that happen on another ship. I put a note on the door ...."Look up and smile for the security camera"....and the camera was right above the door there. Did not happen after that.