Thieves on board - Quantum of the Seas

Leaving something of value (no matter how small) out in the open, even if on a door, where it is unsecure, is enticing people to steal. Someone will always take it. There is 1% of the population who will see something out there and think, that's mine now, your fault for leaving it there. So on Quantum about 44 people could be to blame for your error of judgement.

I have a lovely collection of magnets that have been found on random doors from my cruises. I leave a couple on my door for people to take for their collection and I then go around the ship and take others for my collection. I buy ones from my home town to leave for others. This has been the game for years. Glad you are starting to play. Now go find some new ones for your collection.

I've always found that the unique door number helps in locating the cabin.

Please explain how this works. It could mean I can leave my bags of breadcrumbs at home.

[emoji3]

Finding something on the ground does not give anyone a right to throw it in the garbage. Especially right in front of someone's door, which gives a pretty big hint on who it belongs to.

Your argument seems to be that because its out in the open and not worth much it's fine for people to take it. That is not true legally and in my book not true morally. You seem to disagree, which is why I want to see what the limits of your argument are.

and Still-come on!!

It could fall off the darn door, have feet trample all over it and drag it in the middle of the hall and voila-it's now garbage!!

You seem to disagree, which is why I want to see what the limits of your argument are.

:D

I believe that this is the sailing where it was required to turn off ALL lights on deck 5 so that security could be a lookout for pirate ships. ThIs is a real and scary security situation. Don't take their time with magnet thieves. Be thankful that they were looking out for your safety.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2209740

Edited by denatravels

Oh, I am over the theft of the magnets, if someone is pathetic enough to take someones magnets, I really pity the emptiness of their lives.

And I am not upset at them, I am upset at the security officer and how this was handled. I had not asked to speak to the security staff, I imagine they have better things to do. It was guest relations that called him in, he came, gave us a sermon, and left. Sorry, that's no way to treat paying customers, no matter how trivial their issue might be. You don't belittle customers in the service industry, period.

And yes, this is the cruise that goes through the gulf of Aden, and yes security will be busy with more serious issues than petty theft. I completely understand that. However, we're currently between Naples and Athens, and unless the security staff has 5000x magnifying glasses, I doubt they're currently scrutinizing the gulf of Aden from deck 5. ;)

Anyways, thanks for those who had words of support, as for the mandatory forum trolls with their sarcastic remarks, I have a particularly tacky magnet I'll put on my door, just for you! :p

So what exactly is your threshold for when taking someone's property without permission is stealing, and when it is not. Is there a dollar value? What about sentimental items - or perhaps it's the number of items?

It's important to know exactly what of your stuff I can take without you feeling a need to worry about it...

This might be an odd concept, but anything that I really cared about either because of sentimental or monetary would not be left out, at least not intentionally, where someone could take it. It would neither be on my cabin door nor on my day long hogged deck chair. I don't leave my common sense behind when I cross the gang plank of a cruise ship.

And those security cameras will be reviewd when something occurs that is of interest to the people who own them....RCI. We are talking door magnets left out in the open not something removed from someone's cabin.

I appreciate your "empathy" and contribution to this thread, that was really helpful.

But considering how RC has lied and handled the many issues on board caused by the transformations to accommodate the future Chinese customers, that is an issue. We paid over 10K for both balcony staterooms, and when I pay a five-digit amount for a service, I won't accept being belittled by staff when I report a theft. Sure, it was nothing of great value, but that's irrelevant, it's a matter of principle.

It seems to me like this is really what's at the heart of your complaint. You were already angry at RCI when you boarded, and security's response put you over the top.

Sorry it happened, but I think you should try to put it behind you and enjoy your cruise. FWIW, while I don't condone the removal of magnets, signs, balloons, streamers, etc. from cabin doors, I would also not take the time away from my vacation to report it, nor would I think it was something staff needed to spend time dealing with.

We are just off Celebrity Equinox transatlantic, where a guest was "arrested" for stealing. The third floor cabin was guarded 24/7 by security, and when we arrived at our first port, the offender was removed from the ship. It just demonstrates that one never knows the motives of other travelers. With thousands of guests, there is a good chance of a bad apple.

I'm willing to bet that this passenger was not arrested and removed from the ship for stealing a magnet from someon'e door.

Like door magnets are part of the cruising fun......what?!

Save yourself the frustration and leave them on your fridge at home!

Parents...does a cruise mean you do not have to monitor your kids?

I was on a Caribbean Carnival cruise that was inundated with kids and it was the worst cruise I have ever been on.....lack of sleep:(

Now I choose smarter and stick with lines that are NOT kid friendly.......ahhhh bliss......and no door magnets!

That's why I bought two........one for a spare, just in case. Mine didn't get taken, however.

Sorry to hear that others did. :(

I didn't even bother putting mine on the door because I figured someone would just steal it :( Sad what this world has become.

It doesn't matter if it's just a $1 magnet. If it doesn't belong to you, you have no right to take it. period. :mad:

Like door magnets are part of the cruising fun......what?!

Save yourself the frustration and leave them on your fridge at home!

Parents...does a cruise mean you do not have to monitor your kids?

I was on a Caribbean Carnival cruise that was inundated with kids and it was the worst cruise I have ever been on.....lack of sleep:(

Now I choose smarter and stick with lines that are NOT kid friendly.......ahhhh bliss......and no door magnets!

Then what are you doing on RCI?:confused:

I didn't even bother putting mine on the door because I figured someone would just steal it :( Sad what this world has become.

It doesn't matter if it's just a $1 magnet. If it doesn't belong to you, you have no right to take it. period. :mad:

I wholeheartedly agree with you. And parents SHOULD be watching their children, if that's who it was.

That being said, getting guest services AND security involved seems overboard. Especially when you can be enjoying your fantastic vacation.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. And parents SHOULD be watching their children, if that's who it was.

That being said, getting guest services AND security involved seems overboard. Especially when you can be enjoying your fantastic vacation.

99.9% sure it wasn't kids because I think there were only maybe one or two on board who didn't belong to a crew member. I'm sure it was an adult - one whom I hope I never come across in the future.

One person in our roll call overheard a lady at guest services asking if our CC magnets (made by a roll call member) could be purchased on board. I believe someone ended up getting a magnet to the lady, without her having to resort to stealing one :rolleyes:

Door decorations should be banned, they are an eyesore ! I don't want to know it's your birthday or you are just engaged.. Keep it to yourself. The actually definition of theft has not been met in the circumstances .. Simply a prank and nothing more.. Please keep a sense of reality and put your fridge magnets on your fridge at home.. Ed

I think this thread will live in infamy along with the starfish and that blue thing.:D

Really? No way is this thread at starfish level :p

Now I'm curious about the blue thing you're referring to. :confused:

The blue safe

Dang! Did a search and that thread was pulled, just like the starfish thread. Bummer. I miss out on some good ones because of that.

At least I managed to be warned about the horror of bananas in a bowl next to ketchup and mayo before my last cruise. :D

This might be an odd concept, but anything that I really cared about either because of sentimental or monetary would not be left out, at least not intentionally, where someone could take it. It would neither be on my cabin door nor on my day long hogged deck chair. I don't leave my common sense behind when I cross the gang plank of a cruise ship.

And those security cameras will be reviewd when something occurs that is of interest to the people who own them....RCI. We are talking door magnets left out in the open not something removed from someone's cabin.

No it's not an odd concept, but if for example you did leave your wallet or watch etc (anything of monetary value) would that make it ok for someone to take it? Stealing is stealing. The things I mentioned such as $ value or sentimental value might change how much you care about the belongings in question, but the underlying principle is that you do not take someone else's property.

Edited by BekkaW

and Still-come on!!

It could fall off the darn door, have feet trample all over it and drag it in the middle of the hall and voila-it's now garbage!!

You seem to disagree, which is why I want to see what the limits of your argument are.

:D

The limits of my argument have always been clear. It is not ok to take someone else's property and permanently deprive them of it. It don't matter whether they left it unattended, or what $ value you think it has. It is NEVER ok.

As you haven't answered, just made up implausible situations, I have to assume that you think stealing is ok.