Are we allowed to do this?

Svenson

Sorry if this question has been asked, but I could not find it in my searches. Also not sure if this is a question for the port threads or the roll call or what???

Can you get off the ship in one port, not return to the ship that evening, and get back onto the ship a couple ports later? I'm sure we would have to notify the ship officials (who exactly?), but is it even allowed?

Here's our story . . . We are on the NCL Spirit 14-day Grand Mediterranean. We were just in Rome for three days last summer and once prior to that, so we aren't dying to go back to Rome just yet. Yes, I know there is MUCH more to be seen in Rome; however, we would prefer to see SO many places in the Naples coastal area. So we were thinking of jumping on the train in Florence at the end of our day of touring Pisa/Florence (the Livorno port stop) and riding straight down to Naples, then heading to Positano (by bus or private car?). We would stay two nights in Positano while the ship moves on to Civitavecchia, and then meet the ship at the end of the following day when it is docked in Naples. Did this make sense?

So my first question is, are you even allowed to get off the ship for a couple nights mid-cruise? My second question is, who would we need to inform? Has anyone ever done this before? Any other advice for this little side venture?

Thanks in advance!:)

Thank you both for your quick responses. :) I will definitely call NCL to confirm, but I have learned over the years that customer service agents often don't know or understand every rule or policy of their company, and in fact, many seem almost clueless (though this is our first NCL cruise, so maybe they are the exception). Generally the well-traveled folks on cruise/travel forums have actual experience that they can share which helps us learn how to approach things and who to talk to. Anyone actually done this before?

Thank you both for your quick responses. :) I will definitely call NCL to confirm, but I have learned over the years that customer service agents often don't know or understand every rule or policy of their company, and in fact, many seem almost clueless (though this is our first NCL cruise, so maybe they are the exception). Generally the well-traveled folks on cruise/travel forums have actual experience that they can share which helps us learn how to approach things and who to talk to. Anyone actually done this before?

It isn't "clueless" phone reps that you have to worry about, your issue(s) is/are going to come from Italian Immigration Authorities.

Cruise ships avoid the normal immigration procedures as the people on the ship are treated as day-visitors. Instead of passing each guest through customs, they can bulk-clear the entire ship. The authorities do this with the expectation that when the ship leaves, so does everyone who was onboard when it arrived.

If you are not going to be onboard that will require special handling by the local authorities. Those are the people with whom you need to check...their rules take precedence over those of the cruise line.

Sorry if this question has been asked, but I could not find it in my searches. Also not sure if this is a question for the port threads or the roll call or what???

Can you get off the ship in one port, not return to the ship that evening, and get back onto the ship a couple ports later? I'm sure we would have to notify the ship officials (who exactly?), but is it even allowed?

Here's our story . . . We are on the NCL Spirit 14-day Grand Mediterranean. We were just in Rome for three days last summer and once prior to that, so we aren't dying to go back to Rome just yet. Yes, I know there is MUCH more to be seen in Rome; however, we would prefer to see SO many places in the Naples coastal area. So we were thinking of jumping on the train in Florence at the end of our day of touring Pisa/Florence (the Livorno port stop) and riding straight down to Naples, then heading to Positano (by bus or private car?). We would stay two nights in Positano while the ship moves on to Civitavecchia, and then meet the ship at the end of the following day when it is docked in Naples. Did this make sense?

So my first question is, are you even allowed to get off the ship for a couple nights mid-cruise? My second question is, who would we need to inform? Has anyone ever done this before? Any other advice for this little side venture?

Thanks in advance!:)

Yes this can be done as long you advise Guest Services of your plan.

Good luck

gerry

One other thing to keep in mind: weather or other factors can sometimes cause a ship to miss a port. While you may be unlikely to need it, you should have a backup plan if for some reason the ship cannot call at Naples.

Have a great cruise!