MDR Dress code??

Please tell me more about this experience Royal Caribbean advertises and how it differs from other nights.

Also, for 70's night, country and western night, 80's night, white night, Caribbean night...should I be put off when participation is less than it could be?

P.S. - We got married on the beach. It was casual. We made sure to communicate this to our guests.

Congrats, we got married on the beach as well, We didn't have to tell the guests how to dress as we told people not to come. :)

True story: Was in the MDR on a ship of another line, there was a guy sitting at the next table right in my line of sight, with a baseball cap on backwards and a sleeveless t-shirt, with lots of writing and graphics etc. Bout midway through the meal, Joe Blow kicks back and puts his hands up behind his head, giving me and everyone else a fine view of his nasty hairy pits. I bout puked the vichyssoise. It's not hard to pack a damn pair of long pants and a button up shirt.

Edited by johnlatte

True story: Was in the MDR on a ship of another line, there was a guy sitting at the next table right in my line of sight, with a baseball cap on backwards and a sleeveless t-shirt, with lots of writing and graphics etc. Bout midway through the meal, Joe Blow kicks back and puts his hands up behind his head, giving me and everyone else a fine view of his nasty hairy pits. I bout puked the vichyssoise. It's not hard to pack a damn pair of long pants and a button up shirt.

just out of curiosity what do you do when joe blow is sitting even closer to you on the beach and the same said arm hair is even closer? do you not go to the beach either? or even worse when your in the elevator on the ship heading to the pool deck with him?

Edited by Aintnofun007

I have to agree with johnlatte. Hairy armpits are expected in a beach/outdoor setting. It's unacceptable to lean back in your seat, put your arms behind your head, and show your pits (hairy or not) at the table. Especially where people are eating. #TOTALLYGROSS

Words have meaning. "Suggested attire" is not a dress code. A dress code specifies a required minimum type of attire. The closest thing that RCL comes to a dress code is when they say x, y, and z are not permitted.

If someone comes into the MDR wearing x, y, z then it should be addressed, but personally it's not going to ruin my dinner.

In the interest of full disclosure and subjecting myself to flames:

I also don't understand how flip-flops are unacceptable, but essentially the same shoe with an ankle strap is okay.

My family and I have skipped MDR on 'formal night' and had our waiter ask why. When we told him it was because we didn't bring formal clothes he told us to please come next time and stated that how we were currently dressed was perfectly acceptable. At the time my son was wearing jeans and a polo, and my daughter was wearing dress shorts and a blouse.

I'm all for an actual enforced formal dress code, but if you're going to do that I want two things with it. The first is a modesty inclusion. You equally deny the guy in shorts and a tank top, as well as the girl in a dress who looks like she is taking a vacation from working the street.

Second, the cruise line must bring back a formal table setting and the lost dinner courses.

Edited by ewenix

Hi guys and gals!

Greetings from Grandeur of the Seas! I'm on the May 29th sailing from Baltimore currently cruising back to dock in the morning. (This is the first time I've had internet back since being in dock at In FL.)

With regards to GoS, when we came onboard we were informed shorts and tank tops were not permitted in the MDR during dinner. The policy was not being enforced on the first night as folks may not have had their luggage. However it was enforced on subsequent nights. (A person in our party had a tank top on the next day at dinner and was asked to change.)

With regards to formal nights... It seemed to be a split of folks wearing sports coats/trousers/tie (including myself) and those wearing trousers and a polo/collared shirt. From my unofficial and unscientific calculations, about 10% were in full formal wear (tux etc).

With regards to formal nights... It seemed to be a split of folks wearing sports coats/trousers/tie (including myself) and those wearing trousers and a polo/collared shirt. From my unofficial and unscientific calculations, about 10% were in full formal wear (tux etc).

That ratio seems about right. And yet the ship didn't sink... :rolleyes:

I agree, slobs rolling into the MDR dressed for Wal-Mart decays the experience for others. Keep your hockey jersey, Harley Davidson T-shirt and jeans for the Windjammer. If you can afford to walk aboard the Oasis you can afford to by some dress slacks and/or khakis for the MDR. I agree with Lynn, lets stop applauding the dumbing down of the MDR experience. What's next, Applauding going shirtless in the MDR?

agreed as well