MDR Dress code??

I am now totally confused on what to wear on formal night. I want to get dressed up along with my husband, daughter 18 and son 12, will we look out of place?:o

You won't be out of place at all. There are still a large number of passengers that follow the dress code.

I am now totally confused on what to wear on formal night. I want to get dressed up along with my husband, daughter 18 and son 12, will we look out of place?:o

Do not be confused by dress code threads. Wear what YOU want to and dress up as much as possible if thats what you want to do. You will not be out of place. Believe it or not, what people wear to dinner is only a problem HERE on this website. The majority will make an attempt to dress nicely.

You'll only look out of place if you decide to wear your bunny outfit (sorry, couldn't resist your screen name :D)

I have noticed/experienced dress codes/suggestions over the years in a variety of places. When I was teaching, I noticed that students dressed better and behaved better on "picture" day or any day that they "had" to get dressed up. I have noticed in church those who are dressed for the "beach" have children who act differently than the kids who are dressed a little nicer. Same can be said for the theater where people who come dressed a little nicer for the performance are not the ones talking or playing with their electronic (usually smart phones) equipment. When my rough and tumble four year old, rough and tumble grandson, puts on his fancy pants, vest, shirt and bow tie he is a completely different child. He knows it is no longer play time, but is now time to sit quietly and color/eat.

That said, over the years we have evolved into a self-absorbed, self-important entitled society. I know that many of you feel it is "your" vacation and you can do whatever you want. After all it's all about "YOU". That's fine with me, but I will continue to dress appropriately. We are all on the same boat, so I will try to look the other way, as usual, when you dress like a slob and let your kids annoy others with electronic games blasting away or playing tag in the MDR. (I must admit I did take some satisfaction when a very hairy man sitting at the table next to us was asked to leave and come back. He looked like he had just left the gym . Sweaty, "wife beater" shirt and gym like shorts, and totally out of place for dinner in the MDR. He was muttering something about his vacation and windjammer - his wife looked lovely and embarrassed.)

I have noticed/experienced dress codes/suggestions over the years in a variety of places. When I was teaching, I noticed that students dressed better and behaved better on "picture" day or any day that they "had" to get dressed up. I have noticed in church those who are dressed for the "beach" have children who act differently than the kids who are dressed a little nicer. Same can be said for the theater where people who come dressed a little nicer for the performance are not the ones talking or playing with their electronic (usually smart phones) equipment. When my rough and tumble four year old, rough and tumble grandson, puts on his fancy pants, vest, shirt and bow tie he is a completely different child. He knows it is no longer play time, but is now time to sit quietly and color/eat.

That said, over the years we have evolved into a self-absorbed, self-important entitled society. I know that many of you feel it is "your" vacation and you can do whatever you want. After all it's all about "YOU". That's fine with me, but I will continue to dress appropriately. We are all on the same boat, so I will try to look the other way, as usual, when you dress like a slob and let your kids annoy others with electronic games blasting away or playing tag in the MDR. (I must admit I did take some satisfaction when a very hairy man sitting at the table next to us was asked to leave and come back. He looked like he had just left the gym . Sweaty, "wife beater" shirt and gym like shorts, and totally out of place for dinner in the MDR. He was muttering something about his vacation and windjammer - his wife looked lovely and embarrassed.)

This is a great post. I too wish people were a little more aware of their surroundings and took into consideration the feelings of those around them. Alas, we are living in a rapidly changing society (not always for the better). The best thing to do is learn to go with it - swimming against the tide will only tire you out.

Personally, my wife and I prefer the Windjammer. We've done the dress-up thing and have moved on. However, we absolutely respect the rights of those who still enjoy it and avoid the MDR, especially on formal night.

There's room for everybody folks.

Personally, my wife and I prefer the Windjammer.

After having dinner in the Windjammer for the first time ever on this past cruise, I find that I preferred it as well. So did my mother which use to be anti Windjammer and very Pro MDR. I actually dont think i will go to the MDR anymore. Not because I refuse to or dont want to dress up as I actually DO abide by the dress suggestions. Its just that I didnt find the MDR to be anything more than average this past time. To me, the food was better in the WJ. Im also not a fan of these "new" (new to me at least) menus which are very limited. The only dinner I truly enjoyed in the MDR was the rosemary lamb shank on the last night. The rest were just meh. The Windjammer had a nice variety however.

We need a sticky post specifying that dress code questions are not allowed in these forums. They invariably devolved into pointless name calling, shouting matches. In-freaking-variably.

No way. And rob me of my daily dose of comedy?!? :eek:

They were simply ill-mannered - the entire family. These kids (not toddlers - all looked to be between 8-15 years old) had their sneaker-clad feet in the MDR chairs, sat with their chairs tilted back on two legs, and spilled multiple sodas throughout the week, all while Mom and Grandma (the only two adults at the table) either ignored the behavior completely or engaged in a an unpleasant verbal volley with these kids. Plain and simple, this was a family of ill-mannered people who probably never dine in finer restaurants and we assume simply don't know how to behave in situations like this.

JUST SHOOT ME!!! ARGH:eek:

Totally agree!

Interesting that you would mention that. Do you think that might be one reason some do not enjoy dressing up? Is it possible they associate being dressed up as not something to be enjoyed?

I remember when I was growing up. Dress clothes were expensive and not something one would wear to have fun. Simply, one had to be very careful not to get them dirty or torn. I couldn't wait to get out of the dress clothes and into something more enjoyable. Now, I just don't 'dress up'.

That said, over the years we have evolved into a self-absorbed, self-important entitled society. I know that many of you feel it is "your" vacation and you can do whatever you want. After all it's all about "YOU".

Have you ever thought about turning this argument around? Why are the wishes of some to dress up more important than the wishes of those who do not wish to dress up? If, it's all about 'ME' when I want to dress the way I want, why isn't it all about 'YOU' when you want 'ME' to dress the way 'YOU' want?

Have you ever thought about turning this argument around? Why are the wishes of some to dress up more important than the wishes of those who do not wish to dress up? If, it's all about 'ME' when I want to dress the way I want, why isn't it all about 'YOU' when you want 'ME' to dress the way 'YOU' want?

It's the WISHES of the cruise line. They are the "hosts." It's their ship. It's part of the experience they are trying to create. They publish the suggested dress. I don't want you to "dress [that] way," Royal Caribbean wants you too. So, when you elect to book a cruise on Royal Caribbean, but opt to disregard their requested dress, behavior, rules, etc., and justify it with "I paid for it, it's my vacation, I'll do what I want," then it IS "all about you." There is no "turning it around." We book the exact same cruise, using our equally hard earned money, looking for an "experience" as defined in the brochure, expecting a certain level of decorum, behavior, etc. We want the experience we paid to have and Royal Caribbean tries to provide. You want to try to downgrade that experience by totally ignoring the request of the cruise line and changing the experience. You really don't see that as self centered?

So, bottom line, I don't "wish" you dress in any manner. Royal Caribbean does.

I don't "wish" you dress in any manner. Royal Caribbean does.

Yeah, thats why they enforce it so strictly, lol.

Now cue the "they dont want to make anyone mad" crowd. Well tough titty said the kitty. If they REALLY wanted people to dress formally they would enforce it no matter how mad it makes people. Other cruise lines seem to have no problem doing so. :confused:

So, bottom line is, Royal Caribbean no longer cares. Truth be known, neither does the majority onboard the ship because they are too busy having a good time to worry about what others wear and they are already making an effort to dress as suggested.

Only a select few here spend time caring about what others wear to dinner on cruises they are not even going to be on.

Its pretty comical actually.

It's the WISHES of the cruise line. They are the "hosts." It's their ship. It's part of the experience they are trying to create. They publish the suggested dress. I don't want you to "dress [that] way," Royal Caribbean wants you too. So, when you elect to book a cruise on Royal Caribbean, but opt to disregard their requested dress, behavior, rules, etc., and justify it with "I paid for it, it's my vacation, I'll do what I want," then it IS "all about you." There is no "turning it around." We book the exact same cruise, using our equally hard earned money, looking for an "experience" as defined in the brochure, expecting a certain level of decorum, behavior, etc. We want the experience we paid to have and Royal Caribbean tries to provide. You want to try to downgrade that experience by totally ignoring the request of the cruise line and changing the experience. You really don't see that as self centered?

So, bottom line, I don't "wish" you dress in any manner. Royal Caribbean does.

Really? You "don't want me to "dress [that] way", Royal Caribbean wants you too"? Fine, but if that's true, then why do you say "We want the experience we paid to have and Royal Caribbean tries to provide."? Seems to me, you do want me to "dress [that] way".

Royal's dress code suggestions are not relevant to my question since Royal's lack of enforcement makes it is very clear that Royal could care less what one wears.

Now, please answer why your desires are not 'self-centered' but mine are?

And, No, I do not wish to "change the experience". The 'experience' has already been changed.

It's part of the experience they are trying to create.

Tell me more about the efforts and extents they go to in creating this experience? Not what they did 10 or 20 years ago, but what they do now? The Titanic staircase photo background?

Royal's dress code suggestions are not relevant to my question since Royal's lack of enforcement makes it is very clear that Royal could care less what one wears.

My thoughts exactly.

In fact, tell the waiter and assistant waiter you wont be coming to the dining room because you dont want to dress in formal wear and see what they tell you :cool:

They do NOT care.

My thoughts exactly.

In fact, tell the waiter and assistant waiter you wont be coming to the dining room because you dont want to dress in formal wear and see what they tell you :cool:

They do NOT care.

And, furthermore, the waiters don't care that some care about others wear.