MDR Dress code??

.....yes i wear flip flops and yes i wear my hat do you have problem with that ?

your bud

That tops sweaty gym clothes!.... ?

In a short answer to that "Yes" .

If the suggested attire is smart casual or formal and you show up to any public restaurant wearing flip flops, wearing baseball hats, wearing shorts, I say "Shame on You "

It is always a reflection of people's upbringing when they ignore rules and suggestions. Its a fact made known before the cruise begins,

Why would a woman wear shorts, flip flops and a baseball hat ?

Its dreadful, its terrible and a very sad reflection of the individual.

flip flops indeed.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
go L Y N N

Hi sis on formal nights me like to get dressed up and look nice but for breakfast and lunch we just go casual and yes i wear flip flops and yes i wear my hat do you have problem with that ?

your bud

Hey sis if you’re directing your comments or question to me you’re totally mistaken. I could give a rats behind what you or others choose to wear. I was pointing out to “sojodave” that some cruisers do wear and get away with wearing baseball caps in the MDR for breakfast as others advised you are not allowed to. It all depends on who is standing at the podium that morning. Not your bud!

In a short answer to that "Yes" .

If the suggested attire is smart casual or formal and you show up to any public restaurant wearing flip flops, wearing baseball hats, wearing shorts, I say "Shame on You "

It is always a reflection of people's upbringing when they ignore rules and suggestions. Its a fact made known before the cruise begins,

Why would a woman wear shorts, flip flops and a baseball hat ?

Its dreadful, its terrible and a very sad reflection of the individual.

flip flops indeed.

Wow. Judge much? :rolleyes:

. What did bother me was that they brought their hand-held video games and phones and played with them for the entire 2-hour meal with the sound on. Our dinner conversation was interrupted by the near constant beep, boink, and blipping sounds coming from their table. .

And you did not say something to them (or at least the head waiter) to have them turn off the sound? If people just complain after the fact, it does nothing to promote good manners.

No wonder some have lost sense of what is socially acceptable. We don't HAVE to tolerate rude behaviors when it affects us. I don't want to see a man's legs at a fine restaurant. But they are under the table and it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the meal. ;)

But what this describes would really be irritating. :mad:

I agree with Knicker... so yes. I do judge you and them for that. It sad that you dont. This attitude of I'll do whatever I want is blatant disregard for rules is sad and pathetic. Seems not many here have respect for rules, guidelines or there fellow human being.

Loss of respect in today world is disgusting.

I don't want to infringe upon you but that does not give the right ignore law and common decency.

I don't want to infringe upon you but that does not give the right ignore law and common decency.

Law?? Decency?? Lol, ten years from now, I'll be in the excercise yard telling the other cons how I'm doing time for wearing shorts to the dining room.

Personally I don't care whether the dress code is formal, smart casual or casual I just wish it would be enforced. Why bother having a dress code at all if you are not going to enforce it?

For example, at my wedding (24 years ago) I specifically told everyone coming to the evening reception that formal attire was requested and that jeans would not be considered acceptable. On the night, a group of my husband's friends and their girlfriends turned up in tatty jeans. I took this as a deliberate act to antagonize me and had them refused at the door, an enormous fight broke out but we stood our ground and would not let them in. To this day I consider that what we did was right and they did not deserve entry to our special celebration day.

I agree with Knicker... so yes. I do judge you and them for that. It sad that you dont. This attitude of I'll do whatever I want is blatant disregard for rules is sad and pathetic. Seems not many here have respect for rules, guidelines or there fellow human being.

Dear Fellow Poster,

I never said nor indicated that I flout or have "blatant disregard" for the rules. My wife and I are very aware of the sanctity some feel for formal night and therefore avoid the MDR altogether. The food in the Windjammer is the same and you don't have to twirl napkins or sing en masse as part of your dinner.

My concern is with those who place so much emphasis on what they deem to be mandatory, when in reality it is up to the cruise line, and the cruise line only, to do so. It's a vacation - try to relax and not get so worked up.

By the way, loss of respect for common grammar is also "disgusting". :D

Edited by CruiseTobey

I am so glad I am me, and not you.

Dress code threads always bring out the "Walmart" comments.:rolleyes: In 35 cruises I don't think we've ever seen anyone dressed in sloppy or dirty clothing in the MDR. Not everyone has worn a tux or suit for formal night, but no one has looked like they've just come from the gym or working in the garden.:D

Although my husband has stopped taking his tux for formal night, we still dress up. We do not go to the MDR with any expectations for other people, my only is concern is how we are dressed. It does not matter to us if our tablemates are not dressed as we are, we still have a lovely dinner.

Actually, the only time I've ever been uncomfortable with how someone was dressed was with the very attractive woman who wore tight, extremely low cut cocktail dresses each night. We were all waiting each night for one or both of the girls to pop out, but she was dressed appropriately for the dress code!

Sherri:)

This will continue to be a very debatable topic. In the last 17 years we have seen more than one person dressed in less than casual attire "Walmart" or otherwise on "formal nights". If someone is dressed in jeans, tennis shoes with their shirt un tucked on a formal night I believe it degrades the event. If you don't wish to dress up on these nights there are other options. I blame the cruiselines for relaxing their once enforceable guidelines.

When a very attractive woman dresses formal in a low cut dress you feel uncomfortable, but when someone else witnesses a person on formal night wearing as I have described or less than formal and feels uncomfortable then in your opinion that is wrong?

As some one has mentioned earlier times have changed. We must include everyone regardless! :mad:

I believe it degrades the event.

What event? The cruise line has made a total farce of formal night. It is bog standard; the same as all other nights. It is no longer a special event because the cruise line does not want to go to the effort or expense to differentiate the night from any other night. New cruisers don't know what they are missing, and they don't care either.

Maybe more people will "make the effort" when there's a reason to bother.

im weighing in - i think the cruise line loosen the dress code because their guests do not want to get formal on vacation. i remember formal nights of years past with cocktail dresses, tuxedos, etc. its costly to pack clothes and check luggage on a plane. certainely can see a few sundresses, bathing suit, shoes and some shorts fiitting into a 20' luggage and no additional costs to your trip to pack and pay for your sequence dress and shoes, handbag, jewelry, etc. Dont forget the added cost of purchasing and packing for your children if you bring them. My in-laws recently went on a Silversea cruise and the dress code was enforced. Perhaps consideration of those lines are more aligned with your desire to dress up and celebrate the event and that cruise line is more suitable for those folks. for me, i want to relax and im not attending a fashion show.

thats an interesting thought. dress-less to impress

"It was dress in skimpy lingerie night and some schmuck strolled in wearing khaki shorts and a polo. I couldn't see anything except a little leg. If you don't want to wear lingerie, go eat in the bilge. To each their own."

It writes itself.

If you guys want to dress up to the nines and have it enforced to other diners as well please go on crystal/seaborn/regent. This is royal Caribbean, a mass market cruise line, Times have changed and people have changed.

When a very attractive woman dresses formal in a low cut dress you feel uncomfortable, but when someone else witnesses a person on formal night wearing as I have described or less than formal and feels uncomfortable then in your opinion that is wrong?

It is not a matter of right or wrong. It is a matter of taking charge of your own life. Your reactions to a woman in a low cut dress or your reactions to someone in jeans on formal night are your own and are the result of your choices not their behavior. You cannot control the behaviors of others, but you can control your reactions to those behaviors. Take charge of your life. Quit worrying about how others dress. You will enjoy things more.

If you guys want to dress up to the nines and have it enforced to other diners as well please go on crystal/seaborn/regent. This is royal Caribbean, a mass market cruise line, Times have changed and people have changed.

Agreed.

Funny thing is, I believe at least one of those luxury lines you listed dont even have formal nights or an enforced dress code.

One of the biggest excuses I hear from those who have never cruised as to why they will not cruise is "we dont want to have to dress in suits and dresses while on vacation".

It is not a matter of right or wrong. It is a matter of taking charge of your own life. Your reactions to a woman in a low cut dress or your reactions to someone in jeans on formal night are your own and are the result of your choices not their behavior. You cannot control the behaviors of others, but you can control your reactions to those behaviors. Take charge of your life. Quit worrying about how others dress. You will enjoy things more.

Yes, I agree. My "uncomfortableness" was totally my problem, not hers and was strictly due to the fact that I was afraid I would start giggling everytime I looked at her!:D I would never tell someone they should eat somewhere else because I don't think they are dressed appropriately.

And I agree with L Maxwell, formal night is not much of an event. The Compass refers to it as Tonight's Dress Suggestion. Nightly suggestions on our Radiance cruise (in addition to the usual formal, casual, smart casual) were Hawaiian, Polynesian, Tropical, and White Attire. If I had nothing white to wear for White Attire night, would I need to eat somewhere else?

By the way, anyone know the difference between Hawaiian, Polynesian or Tropical?:D I was so afraid I was dressed wrong!:rolleyes:

Sherri:)

Edited by sjb317

And you did not say something to them (or at least the head waiter) to have them turn off the sound? If people just complain after the fact, it does nothing to promote good manners.

No wonder some have lost sense of what is socially acceptable. We don't HAVE to tolerate rude behaviors when it affects us. I don't want to see a man's legs at a fine restaurant. But they are under the table and it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the meal. ;)

But what this describes would really be irritating. :mad:

Short answer is.... yes. We did say something. The trouble is, DH and I were sitting at a table we had selected for the entire cruise on the first day when we boarded. We loved the location. This other family was a table of 8. The HW was very apologetic and offered to move us (because it's easier to relocate a table of 2 than a table of 8) but we really liked the location of our table so we declined. There was nowhere else to move this table of 8. He did mention to them that the volume of their devices was disturbing those around them, and at that point they lowered it somewhat, but it was still audible. And when their mother did insist they stop playing the games, they then began making noises and arguing amongst themselves. It wasn't just the volume of their devices that was disturbing. They were simply ill-mannered - the entire family. These kids (not toddlers - all looked to be between 8-15 years old) had their sneaker-clad feet in the MDR chairs, sat with their chairs tilted back on two legs, and spilled multiple sodas throughout the week, all while Mom and Grandma (the only two adults at the table) either ignored the behavior completely or engaged in a an unpleasant verbal volley with these kids. Plain and simple, this was a family of ill-mannered people who probably never dine in finer restaurants and we assume simply don't know how to behave in situations like this.