MDR Dress code??

Following up to what I posted, I am a blue collar union construction worker. I get dirty at work, my work clothes are beat up, and yet I know, follow, and accept what is expected in my attire on board the ship and in the MDR. I have the same pet peaves at weddings and funerals. Don't come to my daughters wedding reception in shorts, tennis shoes, and a t-shirt. Don't come to mom's funeral or the MDR on a cruise like that either. Show some self respect, respect to your hosts and others around you. Follow the dress code recommendations.

Following up to what I posted, I am a blue collar union construction worker. I get dirty at work, my work clothes are beat up, and yet I know, follow, and accept what is expected in my attire on board the ship and in the MDR. I have the same pet peaves at weddings and funerals. Don't come to my daughters wedding reception in shorts, tennis shoes, and a t-shirt. Don't come to mom's funeral or the MDR on a cruise like that either. Show some self respect, respect to your hosts and others around you. Follow the dress code recommendations.

What's wrong with khakis and polo. It's within dress code for all nights. I know I haven't missed anything.

What's wrong with khakis and polo. It's within dress code for all nights. I know I haven't missed anything.
Read my earlier post, I suggested khakis and the such .... nothing wrong with that and a polo. A few weeks ago in the INDY MDR a "Dude' with he tennis shoes, sunglasses, jeans and washed out ten year old Harley Davidson t-shirt ..... Harley hard-ass* wannabe and too cool to dress up guy ...... was unacceptable IMO and that's what I'm talking about. Edited by tallnthensome

I think He is referring to shorts and tennis shoes in the MDR.

I agree with him. Its about respect for yourself and your host. We all pay with our hard earned money. And shouldn't be subjected to someone else lack of respect for the "guidelines." RCCI should enforce the rules.

The MDR should be upscale. Plenty of other options on the boat for shorts. Just not in the MDR.

Google it, that's how I found it. Also quoted it above.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9Kl8PHCYz3JS21DcnpibHk5em8&usp=sharing

Don't know if that is exactly the one you're referring to but it is Oasis, 14 March 2015, Western.

You are accurately quoting the cruise compass. Funny thing though, it says under the specialty dining, 'No Short Pants Please'.

I think one of the confusing things is it uses the terms 'Casual' or 'Formal' in the MDR and 'Smart Casual' in the Specialty restaurants. When it says Casual, it says short pants are not recommended. When it says Smart Casual, it says "No Short Pants Please." There is a difference in wording.

I agree with him. Its about respect for yourself and your host. We all pay with our hard earned money. And shouldn't be subjected to someone else lack of respect for the "guidelines." RCCI should enforce the rules.

RCCI seems to have decided to 'respect' the choices other people make to dress casually. Why shouldn't you? Disagreeing with the choices others make does not justify disrespecting others.

RCCI seems to have decided to 'respect' the choices other people make to dress casually. Why shouldn't you? Disagreeing with the choices others make does not justify disrespecting others.

Not following guidelines is disrespecting others. If smart causal means no shorts in the MDR. Then simply no shorts should be allowed. Period.

Why shouldn't the guidelines apply to everyone?

Oh just because they don't feel like abiding by them. Should not be a justified reason.

There are plenty of places on the boat that shorts are perfectly fine and welcomed.

Edited by chill2001

Not following guidelines is disrespecting others. If smart causal means no shorts in the MDR. Then simply no shorts should be allowed. Period.

Oh just because they don't feel like abiding by them. Should not be a justified reason.

There are plenty of places on the boat that shorts are perfectly fine and welcomed.

^^^^^^ This.... 100%

I agree almost completely. I'm on record that while I believe the cruise lines should officially relax the dress codes and do away with formal nights entirely. I also believe that until they do, they should strictly enforce the existing codes. Where I disagree with you is I do not see that not following the guidelines is a form of disrespect. I do believe that forcing someone to do something they do not want to do, is a form of disrespect.

Question. Do you ever exceed the speed limit? Is this a sign of disrespect to your fellow drivers?

I do believe that forcing someone to do something they do not want to do, is a form of disrespect.
Nobody is forcing them to eat in the MDR where rules/standards are set before they arrive. They can eat in their bathing suit and flip flops at the buffett.

Nobody is forcing them to eat in the MDR where rules/standards are set before they arrive. They can eat in their bathing suit and flip flops at the buffett.

And it sounds like no one is stopping them either. Guess they didn't get your memo.

I saw another post that said that baseball style hats are not allowed at breakfast and lunch in the MDR. Is that enforced? I live in a hat on vacation and if baseball styles hats aren't allowed, are other type of hats allowed?

I saw another post that said that baseball style hats are not allowed at breakfast and lunch in the MDR. Is that enforced? I live in a hat on vacation and if baseball styles hats aren't allowed, are other type of hats allowed?

So you need wear a hat to eat a meal in a restaurant? This is " normal " for you?

Maybe sitting outdoors while eating in the sunlight. But inside a restaurant, inside a ship ...I guess I just don't get it. :o

Have never seen anyone asked to remove, but most people automatically remove their hats in a dining room. I don't think it is written anywhere as being not allowed. It's just good manners!

If a high level of dress is important to you, if you hand people power to ruin your vacation by their dress, if you think 6000 other people should put on a show for you, if you think Royal Caribbean runs formal night for anything but photo sales...This is not the cruise line for you.

Some of you should do yourselves a favor and stop fighting the tide, stop talking down to others and stop being miserable and take a cruise line that more closely matches your style. Royal Caribbean is getting more and more casual because that's what new money wants. No sense bashing others; just go to a more formal line and stop moaning.

That's just the honest truth. Either dress up for your own enjoyment. Or dress casual for your own enjoyment, but stop pretending you have any control or that others disrespect you. Just stop crying about it and enjoy your cruise or go on a line that is strict. That way you can have the exact dosage of fun prescribed for the exact amount of time you are told to have fun.

Nobody said someone else's dress ruined their day or vacation. Its just an observation about showing respect and following the guidelines and having some manners. How long would it take for most to complain if the MDR staff served in jeans and T-shirt? Most would be mortified. The cleanliness and fine appearance of the staff and others around you deserves reciprocation. An hour to do that is not much to ask by them.

Most would be mortified. The cleanliness and fine appearance of the staff and others around you deserves reciprocation. An hour to do that is not much to ask by them.

This struck me as very funny, I've had jobs where I had to wear a sweatshirt, (part of the uniform) and had customers in suits. I've had jobs where I wore a suit and tie each day and had customers in jeans, tank tops, shorts etc. never bothered me a bit, you wear the uniform of the job. I doubt very much that the staff feels insulted by shorts or cares a bit what you wear.

Have posted this same comment on previous dress code threads.

The problem is that some people don't seem to understand the difference between "dress shorts" and gym shorts. Watched a spirited basketball game prior to dinner in the MDR. Not kids - young adults in their late 20's early 30's. When we went to dinner the same group showed up at a nearby table - sweat-ringed t-shirts and gym clothes. The whole area, to be blunt, smelled like a locker room. They did not add to the dining experience of those nearby.

My personal preferences are the current guidelines but I don't have a problem with nice, clean shorts, polo, etc. As I said, some people either don't care or don't know better.

Nobody said someone else's dress ruined their day or vacation. Its just an observation about showing respect and following the guidelines and having some manners. How long would it take for most to complain if the MDR staff served in jeans and T-shirt? Most would be mortified. The cleanliness and fine appearance of the staff and others around you deserves reciprocation. An hour to do that is not much to ask by them.

I disagree with you. But, I will say, you seem a bit more reasonable in your approach than some of the zealots and control freaks out there.

Watched a spirited basketball game prior to dinner in the MDR. Not kids - young adults in their late 20's early 30's. When we went to dinner the same group showed up at a nearby table - sweat-ringed t-shirts and gym clothes. The whole area, to be blunt, smelled like a locker room. They did not add to the dining experience of those nearby.

Don't believe you.