Total Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Tradewinds Transatlantic crossing 2015

scubacruiserx2

Great choice in cabin and cruise. I will be interested in your comparisons of both the Regal vs S class ships and vs Grand class ships.:D

Thanks Mic , we hope to review the Regal on the Princess forum and compare the Eclipse and the Regal on the Celebrity forum .

Love the contrast between the Green walls and the ceiling in the Jupitor hall.:D

Yeah , it really sets off the statues . We hope to do the same thing in here in our statuary hall . :rolleyes:

And finally , room # 100 , the Room of Ancient Egypt

IMG_9837_zpshpmnnp0t.jpg

IMG_9838_zpsveodgkaa.jpg

IMG_9841_zpsomegpld4.jpg

Was anyone else besides us getting tired ?

IMG_9832_zpsrnd03a3g.jpg

After grabbing our coats , we headed outside where the weather had changed significantly .

IMG_9857_zpszkuealwu.jpg

We tried to bargain for a ride home , but were only offered tourist prices .

IMG_9852_zps8tx7nc5m.jpg

Это слишком много ! That's too much !

If you plan to visited the Hermitage , please look at their website . Here's their interactive map :

https://www.hermitagemuseum.org/wps/portal/hermitage/trip-planner-map-view/?lng=en

I'm back to being caught up - again. I have really enjoyed the sculpture galleries.

Glad to hear that Pat is doing well enough for you to book a cruise. Even if you do nothing more than hang out on your awesome aft balcony, it will still be a great getaway for the two of you. Regal is a beautiful ship.

I have to say I had a slightly differect response to the coach outside of Hermitage. All I could see was a resemblance to the onion coach in Shrek! :eek: I just wanted to get in there and peel the top open!

I'm back to being caught up - again. I have really enjoyed the sculpture galleries.

Glad to hear that Pat is doing well enough for you to book a cruise. Even if you do nothing more than hang out on your awesome aft balcony, it will still be a great getaway for the two of you. Regal is a beautiful ship.

I have to say I had a slightly differect response to the coach outside of Hermitage. All I could see was a resemblance to the onion coach in Shrek! :eek: I just wanted to get in there and peel the top open!

Or even Cinderella's coach.:cool:

Thank you SO much for taking the time to post all of the wonderful pictures of your cruise and your time in Russia. Truly magical! I hope your wife continues to heal and will be good as new very soon. Happy cruising!!!! Evelyn

You're welcome Evelyn , and thanks for your kind sentiments , and staying tuned in - despite this thread's War and Peace like length . Pat is doing very well now and it's the best that she has been in 4 months . :) :D

Looks like a Faberge Egg carriage.:D

Wow , it sure does .

I have to wonder if there is anything left in Egypt to see when so much of there antiquities are all over the world. :eek:

We haven't been to Egypt yet , but I think the pyramids and sphinx are still there - but they are glued down . ;)

Edited by scubacruiserx2

In the College section of the December 10th USA Today was this article :

10 reasons you need to visit Russia

When you think of Russia you might think of a man with a big fur hat, drinking vodka, riding a bear in the middle of Siberia! Alright, maybe it’s not like that… except the vodka part. Here are ten reasons why you need to look up those visa requirements right now and book your plane ticket to Russia!

1. THE MAGNIFICENCE OF IT ALL

Catherine’s Palace located in the Pushkin District of St. Petersburg. (Photo: College Tourist)

Catherine’s Palace located in the Pushkin District of St. Petersburg. (Photo: College Tourist)

Russia is the biggest country in the world, and the splendor of the palaces and parks reflects that. Take Catherine’s Palace for instance. Located in the Pushkin District of St. Petersburg, it’s enormous inside with high ceilings and intricate gold detailing in every room. Catherine’s Palace is also where the opening scene to Anastasia, the Disney movie, takes place.

2. ICONIC ACTION FILMS

We all saw Agent Ethan Hunt infiltrating the Moscow Kremlin to gain access to super secret files inMission: Impossible- Ghost Protocol! And how can we forgetThe Bourne Supremacy where Jason Bourne finds himself in Moscow for the epic climax of the film? Boom! You can almost hear the James Bond theme music when you’re there. And yes, you should sign all you postcards with, “From Russia with Love”.

3. RUSSIAN ARCHITECTURE

It’s so colorful, and unlike any other architecture you will see. With roots from Kievan Rus’, an Eastern Slavic state, the famous architecture has deep roots in history. The Renaissance Russian architecture is most apparent in St. Basil’s Cathedral in Moscow. Many times the known Russian bulbous architecture are referred to as onion domes.

4. PHOTO OPS!

There’s perfect weather with blue skies in the warmer months, but in those colder months watch out! St. Petersburg is known for record-breaking icicles, which can be dangerous if you aren’t careful, but make for beautiful photos at a distance. With a light dusting of snow, Russia is the definition of picturesque. With the Griboedov Canal right next to it, the Church of the Savior on Blood is breathtaking both outside and inside, day or night.

5. EASY TRANSPORTATION

St. Petersburg and Moscow go together like bread and butter. You just can’t visit one without seeing the other! You can go by plane between the two, or you could justhop on a train. Depending on what you’re willing to spend, you can get between the two destinations from 3½ to 10 hours. Traveling in an overnight train with bunk beds like Smena-Betankur you can just sleep on the way there!

6. RUSSIAN CUISINE

There’s the thin pancakes called “blini” and a type of lemon pie called “lymonnk”. There’s also some other types of food like kholodet, also known as studen, which is a kind of meat jelly. They also have knishes though, which can never fail you. Russian cuisine isn’t well known, but it’s very unique in flavor and definitely worth trying.

7. MATRYOSHKA DOLLS AND GZHEL

The adorable Russian nesting dolls come in all shapes and sizes, and many are handcrafted. It’s mesmerizing seeing so many together covering the shelves. There’s also Gzhel, white and blue ceramics made in the village of Gzhel southeast of Moscow. Matryoshka Dolls and Gzhel are perfect for souvenirs or gifts.

8. NATURE WALKS

The parks are enormous and especially in the Pushkin district there are a number of places to enjoy the scenery. The wildlife are actually so used to people walking around that it’s not unlikely to find squirrels climbing up you and birds landing on your outstretched hand. You’ll find yourself wondering if you’re in Russia or if you turned in Snow White. You’ll also find beautiful gardens, fountains, and statues along the nature walk paths.

9. VODKA AND PICKLES

Some Russian’s may say that vodka is great, “because it doesn’t give you a hangover”. With vodka like Russian Standard made in a distillery based in St. Petersburg, they have the best vodka around! And what do they say it pairs well with? Pickle juice! If you want to try something new and drink as the Russians do then have at it! Drink responsibly.

10. THE EXPERIENCE OF RED SQUARE

Right next door to the official residence of Russian President Vladimir Putin, Red Square is the center of Moscow and where you want to be. Entering under the red archways, there’s such a sense of excitement that you’re about to see St. Basil’s Cathedral, and you’re in a country so pivotal in world history. There’s the GUM department store, which is so much more than a mall. Inside there’s antique cars, sometimes a fountain filled with watermelon and squash, and stores from high end designers to American retro style stores with Russian flare. Walking around Red Square at night when it’s all lit up is magical. If you’re going to Russia, then don’t miss Red Square.

Travel tip: Getting to Russia with the visa requirements can be tough. Use Travisa to obtain your invitation, communicate with the consulate, and get your visa to you in a timely manner. Plan well ahead with your visa and keep your “immigration receipt” and passport on you at all times after leaving customs. Have fun and explore!

College Tourist is an online community for study abroad and student travelers, written by college students around the globe. We believe if college is a time to learn, what better way to learn than by experiencing the world? Get your story published on College Tourist here. Want to get inspired for your next travel adventure? Follow College Tourist on Twitter and Instagram.

russia, Study Abroad, STUDY ABROAD

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Or even Cinderella's coach.:cool:

Here's Cinderella's coach at the Disney Grand Floridian

disney20coach_zpsjsbhybp1.jpg

available at a very special price :

Arrive in style at your ceremony or depart in an unforgettable fashion by choosing a special Disney transportation option:

Cinderella's Glass Coach (2 hour period) $2,950.00* (includes miniature white ponies and costumed footmen)

Yay ! , hopefully you are up and walking with little pain during PT and that your incisions heal quickly ! :) :D Patty gave me the go ahead for a dive in Cozumel and we will probably snorkel together in Grand Cayman . And of course we will have to try all of the restaurants on the Regal , so we can give it a fair comparison to the Eclipse . ;)

Here's Cinderella's coach at the Disney Grand Floridian

disney20coach_zpsjsbhybp1.jpg

available at a very special price :

Arrive in style at your ceremony or depart in an unforgettable fashion by choosing a special Disney transportation option:

Cinderella's Glass Coach (2 hour period) $2,950.00* (includes miniature white ponies and costumed footmen)

wow what a price and the carriage isn't even finished properly so it doesn't even have the privacy of the other carriage.

:eek:

Yay ! , hopefully you are up and walking with little pain during PT and that your incisions heal quickly ! :) :D Patty gave me the go ahead for a dive in Cozumel and we will probably snorkel together in Grand Cayman . And of course we will have to try all of the restaurants on the Regal , so we can give it a fair comparison to the Eclipse . ;)

Excellent news that you will get your scuba and Pat will still get a snorkel.:D

wow what a price and the carriage isn't even finished properly so it doesn't even have the privacy of the other carriage.

:eek:

From the photos that I've seen , weddings use the carriage mostly and I think that they want to show off the brides ( and their gowns ) to everybody .

Excellent news that you will get your scuba and Pat will still get a snorkel.:D

Yea , we're really excited to be going back into the ocean . Patty's incision hasn't fully closed yet , and the surgeon doesn't want her immersed until it's fully closed in about a week or two .

From the photos that I've seen , weddings use the carriage mostly and I think that they want to show off the brides ( and their gowns ) to everybody .

Yea , we're really excited to be going back into the ocean . Patty's incision hasn't fully closed yet , and the surgeon doesn't want her immersed until it's fully closed in about a week or two .

Fingers crossed for Pat (and you).:D

After our visit to the Hermitage , we had made plans for dinner with our friends Yuri and Nellie . We had asked them if there was a restaurant or a style of ethnic food that they would enjoy and where we could meet . We agreed to meet at Mamaliga , a Georgian restaurant behind the Kazan Cathedral .

DSC03377_zps3u0e1wmn.jpg

Our guide had told us about the place saying that it was popular .

mamaliga_restaurant_zpsokbvogo2.jpg

It is very popular , and the place was filled with many tourists and locals .

DSC03382_zpsodeeywlc.jpg

Mamaliga is peasant food made from ground hominy ( dried corn ) like Polenta or what we would call in the South , Grits .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C4%83m%C4%83lig%C4%83

After Yuri and Nellie arrived , Yuri asked us if we would like a more local , less commercial experience with fewer people . And of course that's fine with us as that's the type of restaurant we prefer , like El Moro , in Cozumel . We went just around the corner about a block , on the busy street to Suliko .

IMG_1193_zpscx2xtj9u.jpg

It's not the type of place that would normally attract us from the outside . But it's what's on the inside that counts .

IMG_1196_zpsrk7u1rix.jpg

And it's not the artwork ...

6d2ff99a-b77a-45c6-8f1f-6ba1548980db_zpsadpv5shb.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Yes, very nice, You may have guessed that some of my comments about the carriage being not finished and also a sauna are tongue in cheek. Mind you I think the cost of that carriage is out of my price range, Glad I am already married and my wife isn't into Cinders:p.

Yes, very nice, You may have guessed that some of my comments about the carriage being not finished and also a sauna are tongue in cheek. Mind you I think the cost of that carriage is out of my price range, Glad I am already married and my wife isn't into Cinders.

As I thought Mic , thank you for your unique and humorous perspective ! The carriage is out of our range too . Patty may have Cinders humility , but I lack the Prince's bankroll . However , we can afford a visit to the Grand Floridian's signature restaurant - Victoria's and Albert's , and some photos . A quick photo stop there before we return to St. Petersburg to finish our with our dinner with Yuri and Nellie .

Patty dolled up for our visit

Europe200920Pat20021_zpspljste1k.jpg

When we visited , they had decked the halls at the hotel

Europe200920Pat20010_zpshpjhzfup.jpg

Now that's a gingerbread house !

Europe200920Pat20015_zps38dnxebx.jpg

We had even darkened our hair for the occasion ( really an old photo - but a younger us ) !

Europe200920Pat20006_zps1yjxekqo.jpg

The cheap seats are $ 150 each , no wine . The Chef's Table with wine - $ 315 each !! The food photo's are from V & A 's website .

http://www.victoria-alberts.com/menus.html

dfeabe6e-2425-4039-a7dc-04ab2719529c_zpsqqmdfkh3.jpg

6 courses of edible art .

83d29a58-efd3-4548-b8a7-a104c5a7c834_zpsvccirr8b.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2