Medications

TNDeb

I've always put my daily meds in pill pouches and never had a problem. ...

I think the best thing to do when dealing with the TSA is to be completely transparent. If you have anything that they might question, take it out of your bag before it even gets scanned. That way they can see it and understand that it's clearly not something you feel the need to hide. Also, know the rules before you go, and even print them out if you're carrying something unusual (like the large bottle of saline).

If they want to check something, they have to wait for a supervisor to open your bag. You aren't allowed to touch it. ...

They do not wait for a supervisor unlesv YOU request one.

I once forgot to take a bottle of Rx lotion out of backpack. The person scanniing opened the backpack to see what it was, checked the Rx name with boarding pass and pushed the opened backpack down the conveyer belt to me to claim.

I agree with the rest of what you say. I print the page from TSA site that says pills do not have to be in their original container. But I've never had TSA question pill packets, so never have had to show them TSA rules.

My third cruise is coming up next month and on the past 2 cruises, I've had no problem with having my medications in small, daily zip locks. (I think it's CRAZY to have to tote all those prescription bottles). This year I will also be traveling with syringes and Lantus(insulin). I'm thinking it may be a good idea to have some kind of proof that I need these two items. I use mail order prescription service and was wondering if a print off of my medications would suffice.

:)

Only narcotics need to be in original containers Everything else is good to go. But always carry extra just in case of delays and ALWAYS carriy a prescription in case its lose. NEVER put in checked luggage

Not true.

The law isn't interested in your water pill, asthma medication, or diabetes pill. However is it illegal to carry Schedule II or I narcotics, sedatives, etc. in anything BUT the original dispensing container from the pharmacy.

The law isn't interested in your water pill, asthma medication, or diabetes pill. However is it illegal to carry Schedule II or I narcotics, sedatives, etc. in anything BUT the original dispensing container from the pharmacy.

In some states, what you say is true. However, it is not true of federal law. Prudent, yes. But not mandatory.

Not mentioned anywhere in this thread is the Customs and Agriculture inspections required when returning from international travel.

If someone is carrying any prohibited or regulated material into the USA it is subject to confiscation and may result in serious delay. One example...I packed two apples in my carry-on on a flight from London to Chicago. Ag uses sniffer dogs to check bags arriving at the carousel. They smelled the apple I had not eaten on the flight resulting in a 30 minute interrogation/scold session with ICE.

Same for controlled meds. If your prescription is written on the specialized paper for such meds, and if you have any meds remaining in your luggage, I strongly suggest you carry documentation and that the meds remain in the original pharmacy containers.

They won't bother you about routine stuff; just controlled substances.

In some states, what you say is true. However, it is not true of federal law. Prudent, yes. But not mandatory.

Maybe not for flying from one state to the next but going on cruises out of the country and going through customs--- its something else entirely.

Maybe not for flying from one state to the next but going on cruises out of the country and going through customs--- its something else entirely.

I agree. But the fact still remains there is no federal law, and U.S. Customs (CBP) does not mandate it. They recommend it, but not mandate it. Please don't take me the wrong way...I'm not being snide. This is my area of work, so I'm just stating the facts.

Edited by Aquahound

I agree. But the fact still remains there is no federal law, and U.S. Customs (CBP) does not mandate it. They recommend it, but not mandate it. Please don't take me the wrong way...I'm not being snide. This is my area of work, so I'm just stating the facts.

Im not taking you as snide. Its good to have the information out there

They do not wait for a supervisor unlesv YOU request one.

I once forgot to take a bottle of Rx lotion out of backpack. The person scanniing opened the backpack to see what it was, checked the Rx name with boarding pass and pushed the opened backpack down the conveyer belt to me to claim.

I agree with the rest of what you say. I print the page from TSA site that says pills do not have to be in their original container. But I've never had TSA question pill packets, so never have had to show them TSA rules.

I once almost missed a flight because I had to wait 15 minutes (after more than 30 minutes in the TSA line) for a supervisor to open my bag. The TSA agent wouldn't touch it and he wouldn't let me touch it, either. He was a real jerk about it, too. Another time I had to wait for a supervisor to open my bag to check out a "large organic mass" (a loaf of banana bread). Fortunately, a supervisor was standing close by that time and this TSA agent was nice about it. It's possible that this isn't the policy - just a couple of overly cautious TSA agents, but with the TSA you never can tell. So many of them don't seem to know their own policies, and some airports seem to enforce things differently than others.