The Arizona Cruisers Invade the Western Caribbean on the Oasis of the Seas, May 9 – 1

We suddenly found ourselves on the last day of our cruise. I was determined to not run around in a frenzy. Instead I wanted to just relax and enjoy the day. That is so hard for me! But that is just what we decided to do. We had spent very little time in the Promenade (it is really the one place that always seemed crowded to me), and very little time in Central Park. We had not visited the Schooner Bar, Vintages, the Rising Tide Bar or any of the other lounges on the ship. We never had breakfast in the MDR, lunch at Johnny Rockets, or dinner at Giovanni’s, Izumi or the Chef’s Table. I had not gotten any pictures of Steve on the flowrider, the ship’s zipline, or the rock climbing wall mainly because he didn’t do any of it. But yet, we had a wonderful week doing exactly what we said we had wanted to do right from the beginning. We relaxed and enjoyed the company of each other and our friends. Sometimes having too many choices is a bad thing if you pressure yourself to do it all.

The day began in one of our favorite breakfast spots, the Wipeout Cafe.

DSC01262-L.jpg

On the way I stopped to take a picture of the Oasis model outside of the Diamond Club.

DSC01264-L.jpg

Our treadmill session that morning ended up at the Vitality Cafe. We sampled the granola bars and banana bread. Healthy,right? No calories......right!

DSC01267-L.jpg

(I guess I did get another food picture into the review!)

I managed to get a quick picture of the Promenade as we passed by.

DSC01268-L.jpg

We had lunch in the MDR (American Icon) with some friends from the Roll Call and Nonnie and Greg.

DSC01272-L.jpg

DSC01277-L.jpg

We had started packing up after the show. What a sad moment that always is when you open the cabin door and see all of the suitcases lined up. But alas, it is inevitable.

Before dinner we had decided to have a final farewell toast in Norine and Gene’s Grand Suite. If you hadn’t noticed, it was almost impossible to get this whole group together in one place at the same time. But we finally made it! We opened that bottle of wine from the Meet & Mingle along with a couple more and had some appetizers that Norine & Gene had brought down from the Windjammer in honor of our last night onboard. It has been a wonderful week!

DSC01514-L.jpg

DSC01515-L.jpg

DSC01518-L.jpg

DSC01519-L.jpg

And I dragged some poor guy from the hallway into the suite to help us finally get a picture of us all together with the traveling banner made by Norine (Quilting Queen) for the Arizona Cruisers.

DSC01523-L.jpg

I would say that this is the end, but I can’t. Because it’s not. Tomorrow is another day and we have more plans before we can wrap this up.

Ginny we at at all the venues you did not. We enjoyed Sabor, Izumi, 150, Giovani's and almost all the ones you ate at. We also had breakfast and dinner a few times in the Suite Lounge, very limited menu but excellent.

As soon as I can figure out how to get my pictures in my new computer I will send them to you to post.

I did the comedy show both weeks as there were different performers, all very good.

It was a wonderful week with all the AZ cruisers and the second week a very relaxing week with Gary & Gail. We took them to dinner at the Suite lounge after the bad service we had in the My Time dinning room. The suite lounge was never crowded like the Diamond lounge. It had a view of the kids pools.

I am glad you finally got a picture of me smiling. I am not always frowning, just usually surprised for a picture.

Norine

I'm still here! Enjoying your photos and journal. DH really likes the look of the Hilton Rose Hall. I think it looks great, too, but I'm not sure I want him to spend the money on it. I just retired, so we're trying to be a little more economical [emoji6]. I think we're going to go to Mr. Sanchez while in Cozumel, though. We went to Nachi Cocum when we went to Cozumel in 2011. Always like trying something new--went to Chankanaab Park in 2012.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ginny we at at all the venues you did not. We enjoyed Sabor, Izumi, 150, Giovani's and almost all the ones you ate at. We also had breakfast and dinner a few times in the Suite Lounge, very limited menu but excellent.

As soon as I can figure out how to get my pictures in my new computer I will send them to you to post.

I did the comedy show both weeks as there were different performers, all very good.

It was a wonderful week with all the AZ cruisers and the second week a very relaxing week with Gary & Gail. We took them to dinner at the Suite lounge after the bad service we had in the My Time dinning room. The suite lounge was never crowded like the Diamond lounge. It had a view of the kids pools.

I am glad you finally got a picture of me smiling. I am not always frowning, just usually surprised for a picture.

Norine

Thank you, Norine! I would have liked to try all those specialty restaurants, too. We should have stayed on a second week with you, but with the Panama Canal coming up, it was just not possible. I am sorry to hear about the bad service in MTD. I keep hearing that about that on the Oasis. We enjoyed MTD on the Jewel and we will have it again on the Jewel in October.

Yes, I can attest that Norine does not normally frown! She has a great big smile most of the time.:)

I'm still here! Enjoying your photos and journal. DH really likes the look of the Hilton Rose Hall. I think it looks great, too, but I'm not sure I want him to spend the money on it. I just retired, so we're trying to be a little more economical [emoji6]. I think we're going to go to Mr. Sanchez while in Cozumel, though. We went to Nachi Cocum when we went to Cozumel in 2011. Always like trying something new--went to Chankanaab Park in 2012.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you.

The cost of Rose Hall is a real consideration. I am glad we went once, though. It was a fun day. We like to go to different places in port, also. But we would probably go to Nachi Cocom again, or to Chakaanab if they were not too many ships in port that day. We haven't been there yet.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

In the morning we woke up in port and we knew our cruise had come to an end. It had been a wonderful week on “Lady O” and we were sad to say good-by. But it really wasn’t over! The six of us leaving the ship had late flights. We were not heading home, but to Chicago for a couple of days to visit our eldest daughter in Chicago and our flight wasn’t until 5:30. The others were leaving for Phoenix sometime after 3:30.

I am a big fan of the post-cruise tours when you are flying out on disembarkment day and your flight is later. It is a nice and relaxing way to spend some time and not have to worry about your luggage in the meantime. It is safely tucked into the luggage compartment under the bus and is attended by the driver at all times. You are dropped off at the airport, so no cabs to worry about, either. We had done the Everglades Tour in this manner after the Allure (see that review in my signature) and this time we chose the Land and Sea Tour. Norine and Gene decided to join us on their B2B turnover day. They would be returned to the ship after we were dropped off at the airport.

The Land and Sea Tour has two parts – can you guess? Well, I’ll give you a hint. It is Land.........and Sea! Actually it is land and intercoastal waterway. We had done the Intercoastal Waterway on the Carrie B river boat prior to the Allure in 2013, so that part was not new to us. But, it is still fun and relaxing.

Our guide that day really made the tour. She was a hoot! Pretty and perky, she kept us on our toes.

DSC01528-L.jpg

We expected the land part to be a quick drive to the Carrie B, but it was really much more complete and informative. We were driven around Fort Lauderdale and saw much of the main areas, including the beaches

DSC01543-L.jpg

& Grand Hotels.

DSC01538-L.jpg

We drove down Los Olas Blvd

DSC01547-L.jpg

And past yacht clubs with dingy’s more expensive than my house!

DSC01531-L.jpg

She gave us an extensive history lesson on Fort Lauderdale along the way. I learned a lot more than I ever knew.

DSC01551-L.jpg

Once we got to the dock we learned that the Carrie B, the riverboat we had been on two years before was in dry dock and we would be on one of the larger water taxi’s. It was nice, but not as nice as the Carrie B.

Soon after we got settled into the top deck we got started. We began right near the Stranahan House, the oldest house in Fort Lauderdale. It looked out of place among the more modern buildings in the Los Olas Blvd area. We had learned all about the Stranahan’s on the land portion of the tour.

DSC01560-L.jpg

On the tour we passed huge mansions, some occupied by only two people.

DSC01616-L.jpg

DSC01627-L.jpg

DSC01629-L.jpg

I got a thrill out of seeing “The Jungle Queen”. When I graduated high school my best friend and I went to Fort Lauderdale on a graduation trip. While there we took this tour. It is still going! Good times. Yes, it was a long time ago........

DSC01572-L.jpg

We passed mega-yachts. They cost more to operate for a week than I make in a year.

DSC01623-L.jpg

How much Rock Star do you drink?

In port that weekend were three of the largest yachts in the world. One has a 3,000 square foot master bedroom. My whole house is only 2,200 square feet.

DSC01586-L.jpg

DSC01588-L.jpg

I believe the guide said that this is the largest privately owned yacht in the world:

DSC01595-L.jpg

We passed under the 17th Street Bridge (aka:Lisa’s Bridge)

DSC01607-L.jpg

And past the “Flowrider House” you will see during sailaway out of Fort Lauderdale.

DSC01604-L.jpg

And of course, this baby was still in town:

DSC01593-L.jpg

Good-by, Oasis! Until next time.........

Thank you all for following along. I hope I was able to provide some good information to you about the ship and the itinerary along with a little entertainment along the way. My next cruising adventure will be on the Jewel, Panama Canal, 15 nights in October. There will be a lot of tours on that one! Let me know if you would be interested to see a review when that time comes.

Here are the rest of my pictures from the Post Cruise Land and Sea Tour in Fort Lauderdale!

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

Thanks again for your time and effort to post these tips! We were considering lunch at Park Cafe when we embark, but we may change that to Wipeout café or Sabor based upon your input. :) 4 days until we are at sea!

Thanks again for your time and effort to post these tips! We were considering lunch at Park Cafe when we embark, but we may change that to Wipeout café or Sabor based upon your input. :) 4 days until we are at sea!

Thank you for following along!

Yes, I would personally avoid Central Park on embarkment. We went right there as we were hoping to have lunch at Giovanni's. We are Diamond, so we were onboard right after the suites & Pinnacles, and there was still a line out the door of Park Cafe and people were eating outside. It is really hot in the sun there and there was no breeze. Save your vist to Park Cafe until later in the week unless you can get there really, really early.

We really did enjoy our lunch at Sabor, though.

Enoy your cruise!:cool:

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

I think we have decided against park cafe on day one as well. I think we are going to go to solarium bistro. I don't remeber it being busy back there last year.....and then maybe a snack of guacamole later at sabor.

I think we have decided against park cafe on day one as well. I think we are going to go to solarium bistro. I don't remeber it being busy back there last year.....and then maybe a snack of guacamole later at sabor.

That actually sounds like an excellent plan!:cool:

Loved your review. Sorry to read that you're not in the best of health. I hope it works out well for you. Ken

I am doing well, thank you. It was maintenence chemo to make sure I keep doing well! The weight loss is the best thing I could have done for myself. Yesterday I was able to get a lot done on the review. I felt too bad to move around at all, but good enough to type!

Thanks Ginny for the Fantastic review, enjoyed it so much! I guess we will have to break down one of these days and sail on one of the mega ships! Look forward to meeting you on the Panama Canal cruise, good luck with your health issues, you are in my thoughts. :)