Calling home while crusing

Mommy2three

I know calling home is very expensive. I am just looking at some of my options. Here is our situation. Our 2 year old will be staying home with my Aunt. This will be the first time we are away from him for an extended period of time. I want the option of being able to call her once a day and just say a quick "is everything ok" under a minute call. Any suggestions on the best/cheapest route for this?

I know calling home is very expensive. I am just looking at some of my options. Here is our situation. Our 2 year old will be staying home with my Aunt. This will be the first time we are away from him for an extended period of time. I want the option of being able to call her once a day and just say a quick "is everything ok" under a minute call. Any suggestions on the best/cheapest route for this?

The ship-to-shore call via your cabin is 1.99/minute Not sure what it would cost using a cell phone.

Which ship are you sailing on?

The reason I ask is because some ships have a relatively inexpensive "Social Media" package which would allow you to use FB messenger. I know a message is not the same as talking on the phone, but it would allow you to have more contact if you wanted/needed.

The ship-to-shore call via your cabin is 1.99/minute Not sure what it would cost using a cell phone.

You can also look into using a calling card when you're at ports. that may allow you a longer call for less. And if you find a place with free wifi, then maybe you can skype for a few minutes? You tyically have to buy a drink for the wifi code most places, though some have free wifi, no purchase.

Which ship are you sailing on?

The reason I ask is because some ships have a relatively inexpensive "Social Media" package which would allow you to use FB messenger. I know a message is not the same as talking on the phone, but it would allow you to have more contact if you wanted/needed.

We are sailing on Elation.

Messenger wouldn't work though. My aunt is 73 and while she appears younger and more energetic than most her age, she isn't up to date on electronic. She is just barely learning to use the internet.

But....I could possibly look into that option for contacting my sister who can check on them daily for me and report back.

Cell phone is $2.49/minute.

The social media package might cost more than a few phone calls.

Edited by SadieN

We are sailing on Elation.

Messenger wouldn't work though. My aunt is 73 and while she appears younger and more energetic than most her age, she isn't up to date on electronic. She is just barely learning to use the internet.

But....I could possibly look into that option for contacting my sister who can check on them daily for me and report back.

Just teach your 2 year old how to use the messager :D . he/she can figure it out, and aunt can read. You can also teach your kid to 'read/regonize' basic 'I love you', 'hi' or some key phrases.

Has anyone ever actually used the in room phone at 1.99 a minute? I dont mind that price, even if we just talk for 10 mins or so, once or twice a cruise. My parents once called me from the ship (another cruise line), and there was a long delay between sentences as well as an echo. It was very difficult to have a conversation. Just wondering how the service is from Carnival.

I have used the phone in the cabin to make calls at $1.99 per minute and found the reception to be very good. That's a pretty good price and you could have a 5 minute call each day for only $10.00.

Edited by nwcruiselover

I have used the phone in the cabin to make calls at $1.99 per minute and found the reception to be very good. That's a pretty good price and you could have a 5 minute call each day for only $10.00.

I think this may be our best choice.

Or, give HER the phone number of the ship...if anything is wrong, she can call YOU! No news is good news!

I always provide this number and my booking/cabin info to family in case of emergencies.

Or, give HER the phone number of the ship...if anything is wrong, she can call YOU! No news is good news!

I had a friend mention this a couple minutes ago. I had no idea about this but this may be the way we go. I basically only need to know if something serious happens with our son so if nothing is going on, it kind of defeats the purpose to call home daily while we are supposed to be on our (late) honeymoon/anniversary trip and relaxing from the "everyday".

Cell phone is $2.49/minute.

The social media package might cost more than a few phone calls.

It depends on the carrier. My T-Mobile is $4.99 per minute on the ship, but only 20 cents a minute from many of the ports (Roatan, Belize and Nassau are still very high priced). If I have to call while on the ship I use the phone in the room. In most ports I use my cell phone. I get unlimited texting for free and my data download for free while in port. If there is no cell signal then I make FREE WIFI calls from my phone.

Most cruises my cell phone bill is only $6.00 - $10.00 higher and I make many, many business calls from the ports.

Has anyone ever actually used the in room phone at 1.99 a minute? I dont mind that price, even if we just talk for 10 mins or so, once or twice a cruise. My parents once called me from the ship (another cruise line), and there was a long delay between sentences as well as an echo. It was very difficult to have a conversation. Just wondering how the service is from Carnival.

We use it all the time and never had a problem with any delay on Carnival.

We have several times.

DH had no issues when working (sole practitioner) from the Conquest in 2013 and no problem in 2014 from the one of the cruises out of Long Beach.

Thanks for the reply. I think this is the way I will go. My cruise is just a 5 day, and I have parents back home in their 80's who I worry about. I set my Mother up with a "social" website, but she was so confused about how it would work, that I nixed that idea pretty fast. I think we will be ok with one or two calls during my 5 day cruise, so this will likely be the way I will go. Thanks again.:)

We have several times.

DH had no issues when working (sole practitioner) from the Conquest in 2013 and no problem in 2014 from the one of the cruises out of Long Beach.

thanks for the reply...I will be doing this rather than paying 60.00 for internet on a 5 day cruise. thanks all for the replies:)

Best answer.

Also, it makes it look like you don't trust those taking care of your child.

Besides, if you call all the time and your child hears your voice he or she will be more likely to get upset and cause problems for the caregiver.

We left our kids every year from age 2 up with my parents for our annual week long vacation. No cell phones or internet in those days. They had the emergency number and it was never used.

And, our son left his 9 month old firstborn son with us while he took his wife on a cruise. The boys are now 10 and 8 and we keep them all the time while they cruise or go to Europe.

Just make sure that you leave the caregiver a notarized letter giving them the authority to act as the guardians for the time period you will be gone and give them permission to seek medical treatment in your absence ( a delay could be life threatening).

Leave a notarized permission letter even if only going away for a weekend.

I had to use the letter a couple years ago when my Grandson got sick while his parents were away for the weekend. The Urgent Care clinic was thrilled that I had it! Permission is on file at their pediatrician, but it was a weekend and the pediatrician was closed. Also, leave your insurance cards for them so they can use them as well.

Edited by DebJ14

Best answer.

Also, it makes it look like you don't trust those taking care of your child.

Besides, if you call all the time and your child hears your voice he or she will be more likely to get upset and cause problems for the caregiver.

We left our kids every year from age 2 up with my parents for our annual week long vacation. No cell phones or internet in those days. They had the emergency number and it was never used.

And, our son left his 9 month old first son with us while he took his wife on a cruise.

Just make sure that you leave the caregiver a notarized letter giving them the authority to act as the guardians for the time period you will be gone and give them permission to seek medical treatment in your absence ( a delay could be life threatening).

Leave a notarized permission letter even if only going away for a weekend.

I had to use the letter a couple years ago when my Grandson got sick while his parents were away for the weekend. The Urgent Care clinic was thrilled that I had it! Permission is on file at their pediatrician, but it was a weekend and the pediatrician was closed. Also, leave your insurance cards for them so they can use them as well.

My aunt is the only one I trust 100% with our son other than me and my husband. She pretty much raised me so she is like my mother. Our son had open heart surgery at 9 days old which was a complete shock to us because we didn't know until he was born that he had heart defects. Because I almost lost him, I am extremely attached to him and struggle with leaving him alone just for a couple hours when my husband and I have a date night (my aunt keeps him for these also). I think calling everyday is more for me and less for checking to make sure everything is ok with our son because I know they will be fine.

I am going to be getting a provisional custody mandate so that she can get him any medical help needed incase of an emergency.

I am sure everything will be just fine so maybe just giving her the number to the ship will teach me to loosen the strings just a little and realize that everything is ok.

My aunt is the only one I trust 100% with our son other than me and my husband. She pretty much raised me so she is like my mother. Our son had open heart surgery at 9 days old which was a complete shock to us because we didn't know until he was born that he had heart defects. Because I almost lost him, I am extremely attached to him and struggle with leaving him alone just for a couple hours when my husband and I have a date night (my aunt keeps him for these also). I think calling everyday is more for me and less for checking to make sure everything is ok with our son because I know they will be fine.

I am going to be getting a provisional custody mandate so that she can get him any medical help needed incase of an emergency.

I am sure everything will be just fine so maybe just giving her the number to the ship will teach me to loosen the strings just a little and realize that everything is ok.

I think that knowing your aunt has the Carnival emergency number if need be, is great and absolutely necessary ( I always leave it with my parents, should one of them suddenly get ill ), but also knowing that you can call from your room for 1.99 per minute is good to know too. You could call every second day and just have quick chat with your aunt to ensure all is ok. Then you will have a measure of "peace of mind". From what other posters say, the reception on these calls are good, so a quick 5 min call, is 10.00 (price of a DOD). Works for me. Have a great cruise.:)