Question on Minor Staying Alone and Online Check In

Big_G_111

I'm traveling next month on NCL with my 17-year-old son. I booked (directly through NCL) two connecting rooms, one for each of us. The phone rep checked and double-checked that such an arrangement was kosher with NCL, as long as the rooms connected.

However, now that I'm trying to get my eDocs, I can only get so far in the process before it comes to a grinding halt. Specifically, since my son is a minor, and the only person on the reservation for his room, the online interface does not allow him to consent to the contract terms at the end of the online check-in process.

I plan to call the automation help line in the AM, but in the meantime, I'm wondering -

Has anyone on here been through the process of checking their kid(s) into a room of their own, with no adult assigned to the room?

Edited by Big_G_111

I'm traveling next month on NCL with my 17-year-old son. I booked (directly through NCL) two connecting rooms, one for each of us. The phone rep checked and double-checked that such an arrangement was kosher with NCL, as long as the rooms connected.

However, now that I'm trying to get my eDocs, I can only get so far in the process before it comes to a grinding halt. Specifically, since my son is a minor, and the only person on the reservation for his room, the online interface does not allow him to consent to the contract terms at the end of the online check-in process.

I plan to call the automation help line in the AM, but in the meantime, I'm wondering -

Has anyone on here been through the process of checking their kid(s) into a room of their own, with no adult assigned to the room?

I have not been through it but booked one like this and they told me at time of booking that to register I would have to call and have them do something to it so I could complete it and print my docs. I can't remember what they had to do though, sorry. I just wanted to reassure you it's normal in case you're panicking.

To my understanding you can't do online checkin for him but you'll need to do it in person in the terminal. No biggie, eDocs are not mandatory as long as you arrive in time (at least before they had one hour earlier deadline for people that have not completed online checkin than for those who have - 2hrs vs 1hr).

Edited by Demonyte

Thanks to all who chimed in. Just to follow up:

I called NCL and, fortunately, the phone rep was very familiar with the situation and how to deal with it.

Long story short, NCL will e-mail you a copy of the T&C, you reply with "I agree", and they e-mail you the eDocs, which I now have in hand.

Certainly better than turning up in a foreign country w/o eDocs, and potentially having to hash this out last-minute.

Still less than perfect, as

1) the "MyNCL" for my son still shows as an incomplete check-in.

2) I have to manually book any shore excursions, beverage packages, etc. over the phone, rather than online, and

3) I was told "Luggage tags will be available at the pier". (Although I found a work-around for this using link below.)

---

For those finding this thread later on, this other thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2045927

has a good deal of useful info on the topic, including a link to

http://www.ncl.com/edocs

that I was able to use to access and print luggage tags for the minor's reservation.

Just did it last week

With the rep on the phone I completed children's ( son was listed as 21) check in.

The rep goes in after the check in and she changes the date of birth . The documents now show the proper age for the kids in the connecting room.

At the pier we have to sign that we are accepting the T and C and are responsible for the charges.

The shore excursions booked to this cabin and all entertainer reservations have remained in place.

The procedure i just outlined has been confirmed with email from NCL.

I will not be able to add anything to their reservation now that the age has been changed.

All readies and amenities have also been confirmed via email