Taking minor children who are not your own.

We are sailing Nov. 1 on the Breeze. I'd like to know the necessary documentation and procedures required to bring minors who are not my own children onboard.

I have a ten year old sister and we have a ten year old niece. They've both been begging to join us, so we are thinking of bringing them as a birthday surprise.

My sister's last name is my maiden name. I have our father's name listed on both my birth and marriage certificates, so I have proof she's my sister. I'm just worried about my niece because she has her father's last name and not ours.

If anyone has been through this and knows what to do, let me know. We will be taking both girls (or having their parents do it) for passports if we decide to go through with this. Thanks in advance!

Edited by BeachinBeauty

We are sailing Nov. 1 on the Breeze. I'd like to know the necessary documentation and procedures required to bring minors who are not my own children onboard.

I have a ten year old sister and we have a ten year old niece. They've both been begging to join us, so we are thinking of bringing them as a birthday surprise.

My sister's last name is my maiden name. I have our father's name listed on both my birth and marriage certificates, so I have proof she's my sister. I'm just worried about my niece because she has her father's last name and not ours.

If anyone has been through this and knows what to do, let me know. We will be taking both girls (or having their parents do it) for passports if we decide to go through with this. Thanks in advance!

Traveling with a Minor

When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents (or legal guardians) are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) (or legal guardians) authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

make sure it also gives you permission to make medical decisions. Have it notarized. Carnival does not require it, but customs may ask.

Customs definitely did ask me for it coming home. I took one of my son's friends with me a couple years ago.

Customs definitely did ask me for it coming home. I took one of my son's friends with me a couple years ago.

The only thing they would have done if you didn't have it is ask the friend a few questions.

The letter is not required.

My divorced sister always travels with a notarized letter from her ex. Out of all our cruises she was only asked for it once, on the Allure of the Seas when we were traveling to Mexico. We were told at check in, we would not have been allowed on without it. I say better to be safe than sorry,

Edited by emm126

Thanks for everyone's input!

Yeah, I've heard Mexico is kinda weird about that stuff and that's where we're going. I will get the notarized form for each kid. I want to be safe rather than watching that ship sail away without me, lol! That would be real devastation.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Thanks for everyone's input!

Yeah, I've heard Mexico is kinda weird about that stuff and that's where we're going. I will get the notarized form for each kid. I want to be safe rather than watching that ship sail away without me, lol! That would be real devastation.

Mexico is only weird about that stuff if that is where you terminate your travel. It is not required for a cruise unless that cruise ends in Mexico.

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely recommend getting the notarized letter. I was asked a few times when traveling with my daughter without her father. Most recently we brought my niece and even with the letter she and I were asked additional questions.

I definitely recommend getting the notarized letter. I was asked a few times when traveling with my daughter without her father. Most recently we brought my niece and even with the letter she and I were asked additional questions.

So the exact same thing that would have happened if you didn't have the letter happened with the letter. What was the purpose of the letter again?

Thanks for the form CMC! We'll get them printed up. I wanna go ahead and get everything signed and ready. My niece's father can be a little hard to deal with. So, I want his signature in stone right off the bat.

I'd also like to take my grand daughter on a Christmas cruise. It's easy enough to get my daughters signature for the form but the Dad has been out of the picture for several years with no idea of how to contact him? What can be done in the case when we can only get one parents signature?

I'd also like to take my grand daughter on a Christmas cruise. It's easy enough to get my daughters signature for the form but the Dad has been out of the picture for several years with no idea of how to contact him? What can be done in the case when we can only get one parents signature?

No letter is needed.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268

If stopped, they will ask a few questions. Who is this you are traveling with. Where are your parents. Did you have a good time.

As you can see from above, they may even ask the questions if you have the letter.

As for this needing medical authorization. Really? There is no place on earth that will not give a child medical care if it is needed unless you can not pay for it, then they may turn you down, but probably not even then. If they want to talk to a parent, they will call. That is anywhere in the world.

No letter is needed.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268

If stopped, they will ask a few questions. Who is this you are traveling with. Where are your parents. Did you have a good time.

As you can see from above, they may even ask the questions if you have the letter.

As for this needing medical authorization. Really? There is no place on earth that will not give a child medical care if it is needed unless you can not pay for it, then they may turn you down, but probably not even then. If they want to talk to a parent, they will call. That is anywhere in the world.

Thanks for your input and comments on the one parent signature situation.

As for the "Really?" comment in regards to needing medical authorization.... ummmmm, I'm not really sure what you're referring to since I didn't ask about medical authorization? :confused:

Thanks for your input and comments on the one parent signature situation.

As for the "Really?" comment in regards to needing medical authorization.... ummmmm, I'm not really sure what you're referring to since I didn't ask about medical authorization? :confused:

I know you didn't ask about the medical part but you would not believe the number of people who usually jump in with you will need medical authorization even if you don't need the letter. Better to be safe. Take more than you need. You don't want to blah blah blah.

If you are ending your cruise in Mexico, you need the letter. Doesn't have to be signed by the childs father as I proved, but whatever, you do need a letter.

I am figuring you will be getting replys to your question ranging from hiring a private investigator to at the very least going to court and having papers saying you can take the child with only the mother's permission. Not needed for a cruise but some people will insist.

If the father is missing I would not be planning a vacation to Mexico (or Canada), but a cruise is fine, even with your grandchild.