Flying with Children - whats P&Os policy?

Britcruzer15

do P&O sit children next to at least one parent on the Oceana Fly Cruises? - reluctant to pay for seats.

does not mention it anywhere until you go into flightbooker where it tells you you have to seat the child next to at least one adult.

looks to me like they just want the extra cash

I am sure I read somewhere that they had to do this, but could be wrong

Edited by Britcruzer15

do P&O sit children next to at least one parent on the Oceana Fly Cruises? - reluctant to pay for seats.

does not mention it anywhere until you go into flightbooker where it tells you you have to seat the child next to at least one adult.

looks to me like they just want the extra cash

I am sure I read somewhere that they had to do this, but could be wrong

reading the help pages it said this

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/flights/infant_flight

Which suggests that the price for the cruise for the child would include a seat when flying.

Are you asking if your children can sit in one row of seats and you in another. Don't think the airlines would allow that.

What extra cash are you on about?

The OP is reluctant to pay to pre book flight seats and needs confirmation that a child is always given a seat next to an adult on the same booking. If so there is no need to pay to pre book which is usually £5-10 per passenger each way.

We have never paid to pre book seats and have always sat together, even the other week when there were 9 of us, we had three rows of three next to each other. I have however never done a flight as part of a cruise holiday.

However we have been on a flight where a child of about 14 was sat away from their parents. Not a problem, until the child was violently ill and the parents were unaware. We have also been on a flight where children were allocated emergency exit seats which is not permitted. It was down to the cabin crew to sort out!

Airline policy, at least on Thomson. Children are not allowed to sit alone on a row of seats, especially the ones next to an emergency exit. What you don't want is the situation where you end up with say 3 seperate seats and the child has to sit next to a stranger. I would think they would try to have at least 2 seats together.

IIRC children are not allowed to sit in rows of seats next to an emergency exit, even if an adult is present. One one flight the attendant was asking if anyone would mind swopping but i nearly got trampled in the rush :rolleyes:

Thanks for the responses

The cost of booking seats together is £10pp each way - not huge. £40 in total

CAA policy - but not law is to seat children with at least 1 adult on booking - in case of illness or misbehaviour or if there was an incident and the plane had to be evacuated, parents and children would seek each other out, and slow down any evacuation.

P&O i think have not stated a policy on this as they want to get people to pay to book seats

I dont want to have to pay if they would have seated us together anyway.

there are only 2 of us on our booking

if I go through the seat booking on P&O it tells me I have to book the adult sitting next to child (u16) - so it looks like there is a policy, just not made clear online or in brochure.

Sorry, but the additional cost is not huge and if you are really concerned about being with your children why not just pay the extra to ensure you are with them? :confused:

why would you pay for anything twice if it was already covered:confused:

if its not covered, I would pay as its not a life changing sum. £40 is £40 though:)

just seeking some guidance from my cruising peers

Sorry, was being a miserable git ;) Ignore me ... must be an age thing or a long day ;)

Why not give P&O a call --- we had an issue recently that was sorted really quickly when we phoned them. To be honest I was amazed at how simple it was and it gave me peace of mind. Perhaps I am too cynical and would worry about them getting the seating right ....

:)

Just flown with British Airways to Genoa and from Venice with a 4yr old. Both flights were full and we were all seated in a row together. There were several other families all sat together too. Not sure if the charter airlines employ common sense like the scheduled airlines though so it may be worth speaking to either P&O or the airline and raising this.

Unfortunately some parents take no notice of this anyway. The other year we were flying back from Barbados with Thomson and had Damian and Damian aged around 4 and 6 sat in front of us and their parents two rows back in the middle aisle section..parents read and slept all the way home while their bratty kids were jumping up and down and running up and down aisles for the entire 8 hour flight... Obviously one parent was supposed to sit with each child, but they just changed around once we had taken off...

I would think that this would be a safeguarding issue. Airlines are not going to take the chance of litigation if they insist that a child sits next to a stranger unless their parent has paid to sit together. No airline is going to put themselves in this position in case there is an allegation of impropriety of some description between said stranger and the child. Quite apart from the chaos that would ensue if parent and child are separated in an emergency.