Newbie Cruiser needs info about Formal Nights!

Frogemax

Hi, I'm Ruth and my husband Dave and I are booked on the Coral Princess Panama Canal full transit leaving November 7th............ and I am bursting with excitement! I want to take part in everything and am so looking forward to formal nights and getting glammed up for a change. But here's the thing - how can I find out when these nights will be? Will they always be on sea days? The reason for asking is booking salon sessions to correspond - a pamper session before dressing up sounds great but if I wait till I'm on board won't all the best slots be booked out?

Also, do people really dress to the nines or do they just make a bit of an effort?

Thanks in advance.

Ruth in the UK xx

On Princess,

Formal nights are NOT embarkation night or the last night.

Formal nights are on sea days, if there are enough.

Formal nights are usually the first and last sea days taking into account the first point above.

I think you will have two formal nights. If there is a third, it will be on a sea day in the middle.

All you need to know is how many formal nights there will be....they will never be the 1st or last evenings....and they are not only on sea days....it really depends on the itinerary!

When you board, you'll be getting a daily newsletter...and that will tell you what's what for each day.

Hi, I'm Ruth and my husband Dave and I are booked on the Coral Princess Panama Canal full transit leaving November 7th............ and I am bursting with excitement! I want to take part in everything and am so looking forward to formal nights and getting glammed up for a change. But here's the thing - how can I find out when these nights will be? Will they always be on sea days? The reason for asking is booking salon sessions to correspond - a pamper session before dressing up sounds great but if I wait till I'm on board won't all the best slots be booked out?

Also, do people really dress to the nines or do they just make a bit of an effort?

Thanks in advance.

Ruth in the UK xx

Aloha Ruth :D,

On our first cruise, I packed my tailored business suits and shirts, new ties, a new pair of orthopedic dress boots, etc. because I read the cruise line's info. My wife packed a couple of very nice evening dresses & accessories and we dressed for the first formal night.

I did not see one tux in the crowd ! ! I did see business suits and sports coats and many without ties ! ! A few of the women seemed to be wearing evening attire but not many were wearing what I would call women's formal attire.

We live in Hawaii and "business attire" consists of a nicely pressed aloha shirt with dress slacks and dress shoes. A suit is normally only worn by the father of the bride and groom. Not many occasions for wearing suits unless a formal dinner with some dignitary and almost never tuxedos.

Thereafter I wore an aloha shirt with either my suit jacket or a nice windbreaker both of which I removed and hung on the back of my chair.

By all means dress up for dinner in the main dining room (MDR), which would be appropriate but don't go out and buy any formal attire for your cruise.

I like seeing people dressing nicely in the MDR and believe that shorts should be reserved for the buffet or family dining restaurants. Don't worry that you will be underdressed or overdressed in the MDR if you dress like you are going out to dinner at a nice restaurant in the UK. One guy on our last cruise wore a business suit every night in the MDR.

As to what nights are the "formal" dining nights, look up your cruise and they normally have some kind of posting regarding the formal and casual dining nights in the MDR. If you can't find the listing, just call the cruise line and they tell you over the telephone or will email you a schedule. Also, the cruise line customer service can help you with making a reservation for the salon well before your cruise if you want to get dolled up for a formal night.

You are spending thousands for the pleasure of your cruise so be sure you get your money's worth in fun and enjoyment. That's the main thing to remember.

Aloha :D

Edited by rakuroda

Thanks in advance.

Ruth in the UK xx

On cruises from 11-17 days Princess schedules 3 formal nights. With a 99% certainty formal nights will be held on Sun Nov 8th and Fri Nov 20th and one sometime during you cruise (probably a sea day). You can check your ship's newsletter on embarkation which should list which nights those 3 formal nights would be held; otherwise, inquire at guest relations.

Yes, people do dress up from tuxedos and long evening gowns to dark coat and tie for the gentlemen and smart pant suits for the ladies on formal night. If you wish to dress to the nines then by all do so. Unfortunately, the art of formal ware is not as popular as it once was so don't be disappointed if you don't see a lot of people in tuxes or evening gowns.