Zuiderdam or Coral?

MacGuffin

We will be doing a Panama Canal in 2016. Unfortunately we only have time for a partial transit. Can anyone offer any comparisons between the Coral Princess and Zuiderdam? They both have plusses and minuses. We have been on Princess and HAL and loved both. Coral: not crazy about the itinerary with only a few hours in the morning in Aruba, no private island, and have heard mixed reviews about Cartagena. We can't sail until after her February refit and are concerned about crowding with 200+ more passengers in dining, buffet, elevators and pools, and the reduced public space with the removal of the Universe Lounge and reconfigured library. We also love a wrap around promenade that will soon be gone, so Canal viewing areas will be decreased. However, in general the Coral gets great reviews, Princess is always clean and well maintained, and we love MUTS. As for the Zuiderdam, the itinerary is much better with Half Moon Cay, Curacao and a full day in Aruba and she has the promenade and no crowding. But she still gets mediocre reviews on plumbing and upkeep, even after her 2015 refit. Being on a rundown ship for 10+ days is a deal breaker. We were on the Westerdam in 2011 and while we loved it, she was a bit 'shabby chic' and we nick named her the Rustydam. Our other concern is with no MUTS and not much nightlife on HAL, our nights might be a little dull. Also, Panama Canal lectures, cultural presentations and the actual Canal experience will have a huge impact on our decision. Thanks in advance!!

Seems to me you pretty much answered your own question. I've cruised on both lines and I would have picked Zuiderdam--but then I've never had a negative experience on HAL as you have.

partial canal cruise. In our case the main purpose was to have one day to cross canal/viewing- not more into it than that. We don't care for the Mexican ports (been there/done that) Princess has convenient self laundry. The Zuirdam doesn't. We don't want to be on any ship no matter what the itinerary is, that allows passengers to smoke on balconies. Don't like the short day in Aruba on Princess, (we have though been to Aruba before)-- however the itinerary overall will work for us, so due to reasons stated above, I would prefer the Princess ship over the HAL ship.

We met folks on our last cruise who referred to their Zuiderdam experience as "our one off cruise."

Funny you should say that. I wrote a 'live from" the Zuiderdam (link is listed in my signature line- if you are interested in reading it) and that is exactly what we called our cruise... one off in everything.

...except the decor. It looked like New Orleans threw up all over that ship.

I am do a partial PC cruise in December. I chose the Coral.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! It appears the butchering of the Coral has been delayed or cancelled!! So we're going Coral. I'd really like to check out the Zuider just to see what all the negative fuss is about. Maybe when she starts doing 3 day cruises to Freeport... :p

We haven't yet had the pleasure of cruising on Princess (this October will be our first). However, we had a wonderful time aboard the Zuiderdam on this itinerary in February of 2012.

We had an aft wrap around suite and that balcony remains our favorite one out of all our cruises. We had no problems with the plumbing either.

I know you have already made up your mind, but I wanted to offer another opinion to everyone reading your query.