Solstice MDR Menu

fly gal

Hello! Sailing on the Solstice on June 26th. It's been a while since I have cruised, and I am just now realizing how rusty I am. :o lol

Did a little investigating and I think I am correct in that formal nights are on Day 2 and Day 6? Also reading that formal is a little more casual on this cruise and that is just fine by me! If someone can verify both of these that would be great.

Also, I am looking into booking some specialty dining but I'd love to see the MDR menus for each night so I can decide which days to go. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be fabulous. I have searched everywhere and can't find it!

Thanks! And like many others I am hoping Molecular Bar or the other new bar is open when we sail. I would be really bummed to see construction. :(

Hi there, just back from Solstice to Alaska and can confirm that the Formal Nights seemed a little more casual. Hubby and I still dressed up as did many people, but many people were very casual on FN and were not denied entrance.

Agree that you can view the menus in the afternoon. If they were posted somewhere online, it certainly could be subject to change on any given night; we had Formal Night switched completely for another night because they showed the Mayweather fight onboard. So nothing is guaranteed.

Enjoy beautiful Alaska! :)

Thanks for the replies. :)

I know it's all subject to change with the menu, but my Type A always likes to get a game plan ready! :p (I've planned too many WDW vacations were you have to book dining reservations 6 months in advance -- oh that mouse has twisted my brain.) LOL

Which to me is a problem. Either have formal night, or don't have formal night. If it's formal night, everyone should have a suit or better to gain entrance. If showing up on formal night in a collared golf shirt and slacks can gain entrance on formal night, then just do away with formal night.

Hi there, just back from Solstice to Alaska and can confirm that the Formal Nights seemed a little more casual. Hubby and I still dressed up as did many people, but many people were very casual on FN and were not denied entrance.

Enjoy beautiful Alaska! :)

Which to me is a problem. Either have formal night, or don't have formal night. If it's formal night, everyone should have a suit or better to gain entrance. If showing up on formal night in a collared golf shirt and slacks can gain entrance on formal night, then just do away with formal night.

Well some people do like getting dressed up for dinner. It provides opportunity for nice portraits as well. :)

Normally, I'm a dressed down type of guy. Last 20 years of my work life was business casual. I even had to buy a suit that actually fit before our last cruise in January of this year.

I figured since a couple of nights were supposed to be "dress up" night, I'd go all out. Even wore a black bow tie with my black suit and white shirt. It was fun.

My comments about "either/or" is just based on what I think is common sense. Either a ship has one or more formal nights and enforces it (there are lot of other places to eat on formal night that aren't formal) or it doesn't have formal nights at all.

But don't have a formal night yet let anyone in no matter how they are dressed.

Well some people do like getting dressed up for dinner. It provides opportunity for nice portraits as well. :)

I say let the people who want to dress up, dress up!

To each his own on their vacation as long as the attire isn't lewd or completely unacceptable (ie, hats, tank tops, swim or athletic attire). Personally it wouldn't bother me if my husband was in a suit and tie and the guy at the next table was in a polo and khakis. I'm not concerned with him, I'm enjoying MY vacation! Just my 2 cents.

Edited by fly gal

We are going on this same cruise and it will be our first one. (did WDW last summer and know all about the crazy planning details 6 months ahead!)

Anyway, I just did a search on the forums for formal wear and I got no results but a few ads for buying prom dresses!

So, how formal does a women's dress have to be? I found a long black dress today but it is a little flowery and leans more toward summer-ish. I hoped if I added high heals, a nice necklace and earrings it would do for formal night. Who decides which dress is "formal" and which isn't? Mine looks nice, but it isn't a prom dress or ball room dancing gown. (DH is set to go with a dinner jacket and tie)

We are going on this same cruise and it will be our first one. (did WDW last summer and know all about the crazy planning details 6 months ahead!)

Anyway, I just did a search on the forums for formal wear and I got no results but a few ads for buying prom dresses!

So, how formal does a women's dress have to be? I found a long black dress today but it is a little flowery and leans more toward summer-ish. I hoped if I added high heals, a nice necklace and earrings it would do for formal night. Who decides which dress is "formal" and which isn't? Mine looks nice, but it isn't a prom dress or ball room dancing gown. (DH is set to go with a dinner jacket and tie)

You'll be just fine. I always wear a nice dress, usually black. Never brought a long ball gown -- I'm not shelling out several hundred dollars for a dress I'll never wear again.

Welcome to cruising! It's so much fun, and Celebrity is my personal favorite.

Edited by fly gal

You'll be just fine. I always wear a nice dress, usually black. Never brought a long ball gown -- I'm not shelling out several hundred dollars for a dress I'll never wear again.

Welcome to cruising! It's so much fun, and Celebrity is my personal favorite.

Thank you. I'd never wear something like that again either so I'm glad this will work.

Thank you. I'd never wear something like that again either so I'm glad this will work.

Your dress will be fine. The reason Alaska is a little more laid back, is because people have to pack for layering, since temperature ranges from cold to warm as far as weather goes, and wet to dry. Most don't have room to pack formal attire. I usually wear black slacks with a glitzy top, that way I can wear my slacks several nights with different tops.

Thanks for the replies. :)

I know it's all subject to change with the menu, but my Type A always likes to get a game plan ready! :p (I've planned too many WDW vacations were you have to book dining reservations 6 months in advance -- oh that mouse has twisted my brain.) LOL

Oh my gosh! I am totally with you on the WDW planning! ADR's 6 months in advance, now Fast Passes 2 months in advance and why doesn't Celebrity offer Magical Express? What do you mean I have to find my own transportation? That mouse has done it to me too! :D

Lollie -- happy DVC member :D

Your dress will be fine. The reason Alaska is a little more laid back, is because people have to pack for layering, since temperature ranges from cold to warm as far as weather goes, and wet to dry. Most don't have room to pack formal attire. I usually wear black slacks with a glitzy top, that way I can wear my slacks several nights with different tops.

I also got black pants and I think I can scrounge up a sparkly top in my closet. DH and I are going to share a third suitcase between us just for our coats and hiking shoes and that sort of thing. We are driving up from California and stopping at hotels along the way where we won't need that stuff since it will summer.

Oh my gosh! I am totally with you on the WDW planning! ADR's 6 months in advance, now Fast Passes 2 months in advance and why doesn't Celebrity offer Magical Express? What do you mean I have to find my own transportation? That mouse has done it to me too! :D

Come on out DLR instead! We don't have any of that. Eat and ride on the spur of the moment! :)

Come on out DLR instead! We don't have any of that. Eat and ride on the spur of the moment! :)

I'm at DLR between 2 to 4 times a month. It's much easier, but I still make reservations occasionally! Esp with how crowded it is with the new shows and the 60th celebration ºoº

Lollie :)

Hello! Sailing on the Solstice on June 26th. It's been a while since I have cruised, and I am just now realizing how rusty I am. :o lol

Did a little investigating and I think I am correct in that formal nights are on Day 2 and Day 6? Also reading that formal is a little more casual on this cruise and that is just fine by me! If someone can verify both of these that would be great.

Also, I am looking into booking some specialty dining but I'd love to see the MDR menus for each night so I can decide which days to go. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be fabulous. I have searched everywhere and can't find

Thanks! And like many others I am hoping Molecular Bar or the other new bar is open when we sail. I would be really bummed to see construction. :(

Formal nights are day 2 and day 6. The dress code in the specialty restaurants is not formal on formal nights in MDR so if you book the specialties on formal nights you can avoid bringing formal clothes. This is a good idea in Alaska since you really need layered clothes.

Duh, didn't see your location, Lollie. I was thinking you were back east! We have two reservations for our week long July trip. I figured that should be good.

This cruise will be our first non DLR or WDW vacation in while. But I can't wait to see Alaska! Guess I'm set to go with my "formal wear". :)

Edited by Pinkbudgie

Don't even get me started on the FP+ system. :mad: (I am not a fan)

And LOL I completely agree with no free transport to the pier. And the prices X charges for bus travel to the pier is insane. :eek: Going with a private transportation instead.

Formal nights are day 2 and day 6. The dress code in the specialty restaurants is not formal on formal nights in MDR so if you book the specialties on formal nights you can avoid bringing formal clothes. This is a good idea in Alaska since you really need layered clothes.

Thanks for confirming day 2 and 6! :)

You must have been reading our minds! That's why I wanted to see the menu for the MDR on formal nights. Hoping it wouldn't be the too good to pass up menus. :D

So, do formal nights tend to have better menus than the rest of the nights? We don't have any specialty restaurants booked right now. Guess we'll wait and see when we are on the ship. It's hard to know what you want when you haven't been before. It's all new to us!

So, do formal nights tend to have better menus than the rest of the nights? We don't have any specialty restaurants booked right now. Guess we'll wait and see when we are on the ship. It's hard to know what you want when you haven't been before. It's all new to us!

Sometimes they are. That's usually when they have escargot and the baked Alaska dessert. It's not by far and away better, just a little more fancy.

So, does anyone actually have (or know where to find) the current 7 night MDR menus for Solstice or any other Celebrity ship? Thanks.

I hope someone responds with that golden nugget of info. I found them in years past but I can't find anything recent. :(

Edited by fly gal

I hope someone responds with that golden nugget of info. I found them in years past but I can't find anything recent. :(

After I posted here, I found this link in another thread. It's from last November but it's from a 15 night cruise so it has all 14 nights (plus a repeat at the end). It's not clear if 7 night cruises use the first 7 menus or some mixture.

http://www.thepreismans.com/pan_can_menus.htm

Edited by MisterBill99