QM2 TA May 27th Observations

avalon1025

My 14th sailing on this grand ship and some noticeable differences:

The ship looked the worst I've ever seen her, broken rails, threadbare and ripped at the seams carpet, chipped cabin furniture. It was sad to see such a grand ship in such condition

Deck 7 seems to be the focus of the May 2016 refit (a year late IMHO), but it seems they have given up until then, old carpets, rickety furniture, very chipped balcony furniture, overall very sad. Even the dry sauna in Canyon Ranch had wood patched with what looked like plywood that was splintering. And the pot holes are there, first one was outside my cabin...

I had a connecting cabin on Deck 8, if you are the least bit sensitive to noise, don't get a connecting cabin. Workers were next door that were fixing plumbing around the ship and all I heard starting at 6AM were walkie talkies going off

Food was fine, service was for the most part very good, loved the lectures, and overall had another great crossing, but QM2 is in need of some TLC fast. Loved our captain, what a character!

I always cant wait to get back on QM2, next time will be after the next refit....She's my favorite ship, please treat her well

IMG_9139.jpg.692069db0f4b73c4e6ff5e01a75b91a6.jpg

IMG_9141.jpg.3113f2745f9a161c2500d0ff786633b7.jpg

Edited by avalon1025

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the ship was old and dingy. The service was average in dining room, but in the Kings Court it was terrible if there was any at all. Also King Court food was like a cheap Las Vegas buffet. I have been on other cruise lines and have never seen food that bad. We gave it 2 chances, but had to stay away. Very disappointed in QM2.

Always nice to see a post from lannp! Are you planning a World Cruise in 2016?

Don, Lord Kay of Shandon.

No, sadly a World Cruise in any year is not on the radar.

Oh no...we will be on our first Cunard cruise after 20 plus on Princess. Sad to hear of any neglect as we are looking for a very above average experience.

Most areas on the ship were fine, some carpets and seats were showing wear but nothing too bad. The maintenance may have slipped but I am sure that your cruise will not be too adversely affected.:D

The failings in QM2 upkeep are well documented here and we certainly noticed the obvious shortcomings when we did a crossing back in September 2014. But do not despair, there is plenty to like and admire still on the ship! Indeed, I rather think that if Cunard did not make such a thing of being "better" than the rest, one might hardly notice. It is the gap between publicity and reality that is disappointing: like the broken seats we found in Illuminations. None of this has stopped us booking another crossing next year: but we are hoping that QM2 looks a little smarter after the planned refurb.

The failings in QM2 upkeep are well documented here and we certainly noticed the obvious shortcomings when we did a crossing back in September 2014. But do not despair, there is plenty to like and admire still on the ship! Indeed, I rather think that if Cunard did not make such a thing of being "better" than the rest, one might hardly notice. It is the gap between publicity and reality that is disappointing: like the broken seats we found in Illuminations. None of this has stopped us booking another crossing next year: but we are hoping that QM2 looks a little smarter after the planned refurb.

Agreed, the expectations that are often too high what then makes for the disappointment.