NO REFUND...Be CAREFUL!!!

kimala

So the moral to the story is if you are wanting to take elderly people with multiple medical problems on a cruise to check with their doctor to see if it is a good idea before you book.

I think the other moral of the story is that PVPs are sales people - All those stereotypes about car salesman can easily apply to travel agents and PVPs. If you can't cancel, they get their commission.

Sorry, OP, for your parents health and the way you were treated. If you used an American Express you may try a chargeback - no guarantees on the outcome but it's an extra person in your corner.

Edited by Gig103
Advice

My Father in Law lived with us for nearly 5 years after a bout of lung cancer that turned out not to be cancer. He had a big chunk of lung removed in Charleston, WV and they were preparing to do chemo and radiation. He came to live with us because we had better medical facilities (Houston). They took another look at the pathology at MD Anderson, and it was NOT cancer. So, no further treatment - just nearly 5 more years of a high quality life. He saw multiple doctors regularly and saw his GP on August 18, 2010.

Anyway, he was doing great and the doctor said he would live for many years and wished him a great cruise. We got him a wheelchair for long distances on the ship. We took him on the Conquest 8/22-8/29/2010. He had a handicapped cabin inside across from our OS. All was well. He had a great time and enjoyed every minute of the trip.

Fast forward to September 4, 6 days later, and we were calling the ambulance because he could not catch his breath. His kidneys failed and the fluid backed up and filled his lungs. While in the hospital he had a heart attack. He was lucid enough to refuse to be intubated so they just put him on a CPAP. He hated that too and wanted it removed. DH finally agreed to remove the CPAP and made the difficult decision to not do dialysis. The Nurse Practitioner assigned to the case removed the CPAP and they set his Oxygen to what would be a normal setting for the majority of people. He was dead within 4 minutes of acute respiratory failure, kidney failure and Congestive Heart Failure. We buried him on September 16, 2010.

The cruise had nothing to do with it.

The doctors that he saw regularly failed to diagnose his Congestive heart failure and Kidney failure. His BP was always perfect without medication and he felt great and climbed stairs with no problem etc and did a daily walk. He had a good life, was 88 and had the time of his life just the week before he died. Are we sorry we took him on the cruise? Heck no - DH is comforted by the great pictures of his Dad smiling at the Pirate at dinner, the showgirl outside the dining room, and at the beach in Cozumel. Memories were made that will never be erased.

Get a new doctor. They are not God, nor are they infallible. Quality of life and state of mind is just as important as physical health.

Edited by DebJ14

Just want to tell everyone out there considering booking a Carnival cruise to be careful!! This is what just happened to me...

My parents are in a retirement home and are in their mid 80s. My father is 90 % in a wheelchair and requires Oxygen available occasionally. sadly they sleep all the time because they are bored out of their minds ...Anyways out of compassion my husband volunteered to take them on a cruise so they don't feel their life is over. I was so happy and excited to do it for them even though I knew it would be a lot of coordination with the medical needs and everything...I found "special needs @sea..recommended here and saw that it was actually possible!!! I was so happy and encouraged. I called a Carnival rep and she booked us two cabins ones wheelchair accesable and one regular next door on the Paradise 4 day at our closest port Tampa FL. I asked her for the best deal as this was going to be an unforeseen expense for us , we already have vacation plans for later in the year. she suggested the "Early Saver" I even asked if it would be better to elect the senior discount but she insisted the early saver was best. two days later, yesterday, I contacted their Drs Ofc to get the Dr to write a RX a for the Oxygen and received a call back later saying that the Dr was not going to allow my parents to go on the cruise because their health was too bad. I was devastated!!! I wanted to do this for them so badly!! But the bad news had only just begun. when I called the Carnival rep back she said I had purchased the Early Saver and there was NO REFUND!!! The best she could do was charge a cancellation fee of $100 per room and put the other 298 on a future cruise credit...I explained that my parents were not getting any younger and there was not gonna be a future cruise for them...oh, BTW...no transfer policy also!!! I tried to argue the case with the Carnival rep because after all I had just booked two days ago and we had taken the insurance...She called the insurance and they gave her the impression that they would look at it as pre existing and shoot down my claim so my best bet was basically to take the future cruise deal. She claims that she advised me about the no refund policy but if she did Inreally didn't remember that...I feel that under the circumstances Carnival could have made some concession for us...This has left a very bad taste in my mouth and I just want to make everyone aware that they need to make sure they don't have stars in their eyes when they make deals with the Devil, ( Carnival Corporation)

Sorry it didn't work out for you! And for your parents. I haven't sailed Carnival, probably never will, know nothing about refund policies. I just wandered over to this Board to learn more about changes in CTNs. So, for an outsider's perspective, I will say that I hope that you can get a second doctor's opinion and take a trip.

My mother-in-law is 98, lives with us. My wife plus a few hired caregivers plus a few days per week in adult day care to provide her care. Reasonably healthy, not very mobile, some dementia affecting memory etc. Seven years ago my wife took her to her 70th college reunion in NYC (flight to Detroit then another to NYC). Since we started to cruise two years ago we have discussed taking my MIL with us one time. Get a suite or two, take a caregiver with us, go all out... And we would do it in an instant if my MIL showed the slightest interest. But she has traveled extensively in her life, just has no interest in doing anymore. So for us it won't happen, but I totally understand and endorse your initial idea. Don't let the issues that came up change your relationship with Carnival, the doc, your brother, your parents. You tried, you got stymied. Good on you.

EXACTLY! If money isn't a problem then go right ahead and take them. Just be prepared for your insurance not covering any medical expenses or evacuation.

If you just booked the cruise and want to say ignore the doctors and go, you may want to look into travel insurance besides what carnival offers. Many policies will exclude preexisting conditions oef purchased within a couple weeks of booking the trip. I think you can cancel carnival insurance, but definitely double check.

I think carnival is based in California, so some of their consumer protections may apply. The reps usually have very specific scripts to follow, so most likely the penalties were buried in the conversation somewhere. It sounds like the rep listened to your desire for the cheapest fare, but didn't go the extra mile to make sure you understood all the implications or suggest it may not be a good option for elderly travelers with medical needs.

I feel for you completely, but this should serve as a good warning to guests to read the fine print. It isn't a secret that Early Saver is non-refundable and there is a burden of responsibility on the buyer to be aware of these terms. I truly hope you can find something equally fun to do for them though and I hope some others have learned from this!

I'm one of those people who read the fine print ... and thus would rather pay the difference between Early Saver and Past Guest price - normally only $10 or so difference for each person - and be able to get the refund if needed.

Also, since DH has some medical issues we always buy 3rd party insurance with a definite pre-existing condition waiver. Again, it's $50-$75 more but to us the peace of mind it well worth it. It covers cancellation and medical expenses including emergency medical evacuation back to a hospital near home.

If we were young and healthy we might feel the need to do that but we're both retired and would rather be safe than sorry (and broke) :)