Selfie Stick!

On the way out of a restaurant I held the door open for a teenage girl. She gladly walked through but it never occurred to her to say "Thank you" or acknowledge the stranger doing a courtesy. I notice this behaviour repeatedly in recent years. I'm 33.

THREAD HIJACK! You must have learned your manners from the same place in Pennsylvania growing up as I did. ;) The door thing has been an issue for me too. I'll carry it further. The same people seem totally clueless about double doors. I've opened the right door for my wife to walk through and people, will coming the other way will cut her off to get through.

I have to add my 2 cents into this thread. I've used an extension pole for my GoPro's many times on several cruises and got some incredible angles. I could not replicate any of these shots without the use of a extender.

Being said, for videos on the rock climbing wall, off the bow/stern of the ship, underwater, public spaces, etc. I will ask permission and/or check that others will not interfere with my angle(s) prior to recording. Additionally, I attempt to keep others out of my video as much as possible.

It seems as though the real issue is inconsiderate individuals, rather than what those individuals use or how they acquire their photos/videos.

Have fun, happy cruising, and enjoy your vacation

You either love them or hate them...but I have a teen DD who has an underwater camera who wants to bring her selfie stick on-board for the best pics. Hoping she won't run into a problem bringing this in her carry-on bag. Anyone out there brought theirs on-board? Any issues going through the screening equipment.

She will most likely want to take it on and off the ship too. Thanks!

I have taken them on planes (more than one at a time) and had no problem getting through screening. On one flight the person at the gate taking the boarding passes asked me what it was, as it was sticking about 10 inches out of my backpack. I pulled it out and she waved me on. That particular selfie stick is called a "go-pole" used with my go-pro. it is approx 2 feet long. Yes 24 inches. It does not telescope. It is used in saltwater, (wont rust ) its transparent so i don't have a stick in every picture, and it floats so i dont lose my camera if I accidentally drop it while diving. I have the most awesome videos and pictures of "me" (third person narcissist ) diving and snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef.....Thank goodness for that selfie stick since its a little more difficult to ask someone to take your picture while underwater. I have used it on land and sea many many times. I have had dozens of people ask what it was when i first started using it more than a year ago. I have never felt like i impeded into someones personal space. Nor have i felt that othes were uncomfortable with is use. Tell your daughter to take thousands of pictures... like i did! 20 years ago there were people that didnt see smartphones as a necessary item( back in the old days known as cellphones/mobile phones)....TIMES CHANGE!!! Get with it, or get out of the way!

anddddddd Selfie sticks are a gift for solo travelers.

.........There's a reason why Disney has banned them in their parks......they are annoying but not surprising how this invention has caught on with the self absorbed generation......the good thing is that they can be thrown over board as easy as , say, a golf club........selfie stick?......It's all about me ALL THE TIME!!!!!!:eek::cool:

I saw on a previous posting that Disney had banned them.... Must be a nightmare for them at the entrance when parkgoers discover they can't enter with their selfie stick!!!!