Selfie Stick!

You do realize that the blocking of the path isn't due to the selfie stick, don't you? That's just people wanting to get pictures of themselves at places. That would happen just as bad if they asked someone to take a picture of them, or one took a picture of the other.

That happened before the invention of the smart phone.

What part of people not put the selfie stick down did you not understand? People are not putting the selfie stick down between photos, just walking along fully extended, blocking pedestrian traffic for 10-15 minutes at a time. I've been traveling internationally for 18 years now, and this is new, this was not happening prior to the selfie stick. The impediment of pedestrian traffic by the selfie stick is worse than when two people were taking pictures of themselves prior. Thus why Disney banned the item IMO. In addition, the selfie stick expands the width of blocked travel beyond arms length, and IMO becomes a fire hazard blocking the path of egress.

In addition, the selfie stick expands the width of blocked travel beyond arms length, and IMO becomes a fire hazard blocking the path of egress.

OK this, I feel, is an exaggeration. If there was a fire or any other emergency, people wouldn't be running around holding the stick outwards from the body, blocking the way. They would hold it the same way you hold a walking stick, or for that matter a bag, down by your side. A backpack would take up more room in that situation.

I can agree that they can be a bit annoying if you do not show respect and just wave them around, but let's not make a mountain out of a molehill, shall we?:rolleyes:

Two choices here

A. Dark, uncentered blurry photo

B. Stolen smartphone or camera.

I had never considered a selfie stick. Now I will. I think it will get us some interesting pictures on vacation. For $20 I will look into it.

I have an Android, my wife has an iPhone; I am going to assume that a stick works for any/either through Bluetooth or???

Any recommendations?

First let me answer this...

We have a Yunteng selfie stick. If you search amazon you'll see it. There is one with a bluetooth remote that can either work with iOS or Android. You pair to the remote and then press the button on the remote to activate the shutter on your camera app.

With that said the reason I have a selfie stick is because it was given to me for my birthday last year. I thought it was the silliest gift. My father-in-law who is 60 bought it for me. He loves it because he can take pictures at locations with his wife without having to ask for assistance. If they are hiking there is often no one around to take their photo. So it is really handy for that.

I have started using it more and more and we just took ours on Navigator a couple weeks ago in our carry on with no problems. We only take it out when we want to take a photo on the beach. No different than if we asked someone else to take our photo.

Like with anything there will always be those that are less considerate than others. This can happen in so many forms. You can either choose to ignore it or avoid it or get disgruntled by it. I choose to have a great time and just sidestep those taking selfies. I haven't had it happen so much it was impossible to avoid.

Here is my position on selfie sticks: I do not believe they should be banned or outlawed. We have too many regulations as it is. No, I think if you want to use a selfie stick, you should be allowed to do so. HOWEVER.... I also believe that anyone around someone with a selfie stick should be allowed, if they so choose, to remove said selfie stick from that persons hand, snap it in half, and hand it back to them! Use at your own peril!:D:D:cool::cool:

Looks like Six Flags banned selfie sticks at all theme parks a few days ago, citing safety concerns. It used to be just museums, but now it's moving into theme parks. Given cruise ships tight quarters, I wonder how long till the first cruise line bans them (I would guess DCL is the first).

Here is a running list of places that banned selfie sticks

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/a-running-list-of-places-that-have-banned-selfie-113345971759.html

What part of people not put the selfie stick down did you not understand? People are not putting the selfie stick down between photos, just walking along fully extended, blocking pedestrian traffic for 10-15 minutes at a time. I've been traveling internationally for 18 years now, and this is new, this was not happening prior to the selfie stick. The impediment of pedestrian traffic by the selfie stick is worse than when two people were taking pictures of themselves prior. Thus why Disney banned the item IMO. In addition, the selfie stick expands the width of blocked travel beyond arms length, and IMO becomes a fire hazard blocking the path of egress.

Had your wrote that, I would have understood that.

But you pointed out that a path was being blocked by people taking pictures with selfie sticks, and I was pointing out that the delay would have happened before, since people take pictures.

I'm not talking about the handful of people that walk around with stick extended as you seem to have problems with. But the tendency of people to take pictures when the opportunity arises. So in MANY instances, people would be delayed- has happened to me for as long as I can remember. Before selfies happened, and before selfie sticks.

Geez, such anger.

Here is my position on selfie sticks: I do not believe they should be banned or outlawed. We have too many regulations as it is. No, I think if you want to use a selfie stick, you should be allowed to do so. HOWEVER.... I also believe that anyone around someone with a selfie stick should be allowed, if they so choose, to remove said selfie stick from that persons hand, snap it in half, and hand it back to them! Use at your own peril!:D:D:cool::cool:

What if their selfie stick was their arm?

Going to break that, too?

Man, such hostility toward people wanting to take pictures of themselves.

Had your wrote that, I would have understood that.

But you pointed out that a path was being blocked by people taking pictures with selfie sticks, and I was pointing out that the delay would have happened before, since people take pictures.

I'm not talking about the handful of people that walk around with stick extended as you seem to have problems with. But the tendency of people to take pictures when the opportunity arises. So in MANY instances, people would be delayed- has happened to me for as long as I can remember. Before selfies happened, and before selfie sticks.

Geez, such anger.

I saw where people were pulling them out while on rides at Disney Talk about dangerous.

Edited by m*u*g*

Disney and Six Flags have banned the selfie sticks citing safety concerns. People tend to get fired up over their personal safety. Get wacked in the face by some oblivious person using a 5' stainless steel selfie stick tends to incite anger. People who can't understand the anger are the reason others hate selfie stick users, too many (not all) are oblivious to what is going on around them, and put others at risk or in harms way.

Are there any selfie sticks that work with actual cameras??

Sure, almost any mono pod on the market will get the job done by mounting a ball head on the end, mount your camera (anything from a dslr to point and shoot) and lock in place, extend the pod and take your pic.

.........There's a reason why Disney has banned them in their parks......they are annoying but not surprising how this invention has caught on with the self absorbed generation......the good thing is that they can be thrown over board as easy as , say, a golf club........selfie stick?......It's all about me ALL THE TIME!!!!!!:eek::cool:

I am a solo traveler. If i want to be in my pictures, the selfie stick comes in handy. Or would you rather I tap someone on the shoulder every time I want to be in my pictures?

First of all, it's a joke. Second of all, if it wasn't, I would wield the power to destroy said selfie stick judiciously. Stepping out of the way and being courteous? Enjoy your selfie stick! Blocking a crowd, waving it around and irritating those around you? We start grabbing and snapping! Don't worry, I'd hand it back with a smile, and say "Here's your selfie sticks!"...

Looks like Six Flags banned selfie sticks at all theme parks a few days ago, citing safety concerns. It used to be just museums, but now it's moving into theme parks. Given cruise ships tight quarters, I wonder how long till the first cruise line bans them (I would guess DCL is the first).

Here is a running list of places that banned selfie sticks

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/a-running-list-of-places-that-have-banned-selfie-113345971759.html

hmm, says they were banned in the colosseum, I can say for a fact that it was not enforced last week if they are.

I am a solo traveler. If i want to be in my pictures, the selfie stick comes in handy. Or would you rather I tap someone on the shoulder every time I want to be in my pictures?

It's always worked for me - and if not I am capable of taking a picture by myself (with a legit camera even - not a phone, though I can do that too). I guess I'm weird in that yeah, I'll take a few pictures with me in them when I travel solo, but mainly I take pictures of where I am. I know what I look like, and my friends and family know what I look like. For me the memories are the sights. Not me.

That would happen just as bad if they asked someone to take a picture of them, or one took a picture of the other.

That happened before the invention of the smart phone.

This thread made me think of the Southern most point marker in Key West. I haven't been there since 2013, but since the only thing really there is a well known marker that people want to take pictures of themselves at, I found people waited in line and helped each other out with photos.

It's always worked for me - and if not I am capable of taking a picture by myself (with a legit camera even - not a phone, though I can do that too). I guess I'm weird in that yeah, I'll take a few pictures with me in them when I travel solo, but mainly I take pictures of where I am. I know what I look like, and my friends and family know what I look like. For me the memories are the sights. Not me.

For me it will be the memory of being a part of the scenery.

However, I see how these would be annoying. I don't want to have to dodge other people's any more than I want someone having to dodge mine. Thankfully, I am an early riser. All of my selfies will be done onboard when everyone else is asleep. On the island, my 2 1/2 foot arm will suffice.

On the way out of a restaurant I held the door open for a teenage girl. She gladly walked through but it never occurred to her to say "Thank you" or acknowledge the stranger doing a courtesy. I notice this behaviour repeatedly in recent years. I'm 33.

The issue is that these people have never been taught courtesy for others or to reciprocate courtesy. That or they are so self-absorbed it's a lost cause. It's a shame that it's come to that. What ever happened to being nice to people?

When it comes to selfie-sticks, it's the same thing. If the user is cognisant of their surroundings (including the people) then selfie-sticks can be perfectly fine. Lack of courtesy is amplified when people who appear self-absorbed wander streets, cities, museums, cruise ships etc with a stick out in front of them not caring that it is invading others personal space.

That being said, if parents teach simple courtesy for others, the self-stick problem goes away.

Are there any selfie sticks that work with actual cameras??

That might depend on your definition of selfie stick. I honestly don't know if there is such a definition, but the first product that I saw carry the wording selfie stick was specifically for an I phone. What made it a selfie stick was a button at the handle end that acted as a shutter button. Anything else is just a camera extension like the ones the Go pro uses. The ones people use with Gopros are usually used in video mode. I used mine as the 747 landed over my head at Maho so that the camera could be even closer to the plane. I didn't scrape the bottom of the plane ;)