Selfie Stick!

.........There's a reason why Disney has banned them in their parks......they are annoying but not surprising how this invention has caught on with the self absorbed generation......the good thing is that they can be thrown over board as easy as , say, a golf club........selfie stick?......It's all about me ALL THE TIME!!!!!!:eek::cool:

The OP is going on a cruise with her teen daughter not to a Disney theme park. Additionally, this invention has caught on with more than just the current generation as I am a 46 year old man and I certainly don't consider myself "self absorbed". I really enjoy the ability to be in pictures and videos with my family without having to ask a stranger to take our picture. I know a lot of others that feel the same way. I guess we could ascertain several key points from your post...You don't like seeing yourself in pictures, you hate selfie sticks, you feel that people who use selfie sticks are self absorbed, and you don't play golf. Lighten up Joe.

The OP is going on a cruise with her teen daughter not to a Disney theme park. Additionally, this invention has caught on with more than just the current generation as I am a 46 year old man and I certainly don't consider myself "self absorbed". I really enjoy the ability to be in pictures and videos with my family without having to ask a stranger to take our picture. I know a lot of others that feel the same way. I guess we could ascertain several key points from your post...You don't like seeing yourself in pictures, you hate selfie sticks, you feel that people who use selfie sticks are self absorbed, and you don't play golf. Lighten up Joe.

Right. Who would have thought that wanting to have a picture of yourself from your vacation made you self-absorbed? Granted I'm sure there are the Instagram models who take it to the extreme and are constantly taking a picture of themselves in bikinis for attention online but I hardly think that should affect anybody else's experience on their cruise honestly. People getting this upset about a selfie stick is about as dumb as if someone was to say that people who bring books are wasting valuable deck chairs near the pool since they aren't even interested in swimming.

We did an cruise and land vacation in Italy, France and Spain last month. Saw lots of people with selfie sticks. They didn't bother me at all but what DID annoy me were the people trying to sell them to you everywhere we went.

I don't see a problem with using them on a cruise ship or most other places. However, I can completely understand Disney banning them from their rides. Think how dangerous it would be if someone were to use it on a ride and it got stuck or knocked out of their hands and injured someone.

@pscruzinboyz - Love the way your picture turned out!

I have one, bought specifically for a trip to Puerto Rico, so my wife and I could take photos together. That's the only time I've used it, but it was fantastic being able to take photos together at waterfalls, lighthouses and other remote locations.

I will bring it on our next cruise to be able to take photos with our family without having to ask someone to take the picture.

So, the brush that paints all selfie-stick users as self absorbed narcissists might be a little broad.

..."Would you please take our picture?"

"Why sure."...

..."Thank you."

Two choices here

A. Dark, uncentered blurry photo

B. Stolen smartphone or camera.

I had never considered a selfie stick. Now I will. I think it will get us some interesting pictures on vacation. For $20 I will look into it.

I have an Android, my wife has an iPhone; I am going to assume that a stick works for any/either through Bluetooth or???

Any recommendations?

I have one, bought specifically for a trip to Puerto Rico, so my wife and I could take photos together. That's the only time I've used it, but it was fantastic being able to take photos together at waterfalls, lighthouses and other remote locations.

I will bring it on our next cruise to be able to take photos with our family without having to ask someone to take the picture.

So, the brush that paints all selfie-stick users as self absorbed narcissists might be a little broad.

Couldn't agree more. Consider yourself fortunate if someone else's selfie-stick is your biggest concern.

..."Would you please take our picture?"

"Why sure."...

..."Thank you."

As a solo cruiser, I have been in so many situations,where there was no one around to even ask.

Those of us that hike or don't go off with hordes of other pax, love the selfie sticks to get those great shots.

Edited by ohiogymrat

It's just a matter of personal preference. I just prefer personal interaction and I'm not worried about the perfect picture of my beautiful mug. I get to see it every day in the mirror. :eek: Plus if I carried a stick around I'd probably look like I'd need darker glasses and a seeing eye dog.

Edited by TempusFugit

Selfie sticks, like many other things, are great as long as the people using them are considerate of others around and keep aware of their surroundings. I saw a bunch of people skiing with them over the winter. Not only are they endangering themselves, but they are putting me and my family(along with everyone else on the mountain) in danger. Stupid people ruin good things for everyone else.

I just bought one myself not because I'm self-absorbed but because I realized that over the past 4 years since my kids were born, I'm usually the one taking the pictures so I'm not in very many. For that reason, I decided to take the plunge (they're not expensive) but I agree they can be dangerous depending on how they're used but then again, so can just about every other piece of technology.

You either love them or hate them...but I have a teen DD who has an underwater camera who wants to bring her selfie stick on-board for the best pics. Hoping she won't run into a problem bringing this in her carry-on bag. Anyone out there brought theirs on-board? Any issues going through the screening equipment.

She will most likely want to take it on and off the ship too. Thanks!

Typical teen female.

It's not necessarily the stick, some people are just rude and have no manners. When holding a stick, taking a selfie, those few people stand out more.

I encountered only a few dangerous or very rude "stick people" on my last cruise. Most were having fun getting great photos. Not for me, but please, watch that stick of yours. :(

My post was asking about the screening process and if she would have trouble taking this onboard in carry-on. I appreciate those who shared their experiences and those with positive comments. I do find CC to be mostly informative and grateful to those who are willing to share their insight and knowledge about cruising. I'll ignore all the others.

You either love them or hate them...but I have a teen DD who has an underwater camera who wants to bring her selfie stick on-board for the best pics. Hoping she won't run into a problem bringing this in her carry-on bag. Anyone out there brought theirs on-board? Any issues going through the screening equipment.

She will most likely want to take it on and off the ship too. Thanks!

I understand the sentiment. I've seen them onboard quite a bit along with similar poles used for gopro type cameras. Vacation is one place I can tolerate them as long as they are used intelligently. Don't step in front of a large group of people trying to photograph and attraction and spend 10 minutes setting up your phone and the shot.