Selfie Stick!

It's just a matter of personal preference. I just prefer personal interaction and I'm not worried about the perfect picture of my beautiful mug. I get to see it every day in the mirror. :eek: Plus if I carried a stick around I'd probably look like I'd need darker glasses and a seeing eye dog.

Exactly.

I travel solo, but I would much rather have pictures of WHAT I AM SEEING than myself. I don't need a zillion pictures of myself. One or two will do, and those are typically at places where it's pretty easy to find someone to ask (I'm not stupid and won't go hiking by myself for example - you lose a colleague who went off hiking by himself and fell - but no one was with him or knew exactly where he was going and ended up dying, you learn that there are certain things you just don't do). Otherwise it's all about the scenery. (I'd much rather see vacation pics from someone where you see where they went as opposed to the "Here we are petting the cow. Here we are in the car. Here we are looking at the tower." thing.)

The theme parks more probably don't want people using them since they still want to charge for the pictures on the rides.

They were banned only on Disney rides not in Disney due to people trying to use them on rides and dropping them causing rides to stop.

The people that hate these and rallied to get people to stop using them, just failed miserably on me :(.

See, until I read this post I had no clue what a selfie stick was... I googled it and fell in love.

Mine is coming on Friday.. EXCITED!!!

.....that self absorbed nation has made Mark Zuckerberg one of the richest people in the world.....Check out how many "selfies" are on any Facebook page........it's not the location that is always in the center of the picture..."It's all about ME......It's all about ME".........:rolleyes:

.....that self absorbed nation has made Mark Zuckerberg one of the richest people in the world.....Check out how many "selfies" are on any Facebook page........it's not the location that is always in the center of the picture..."It's all about ME......It's all about ME".........:rolleyes:

get-off-my-lawn.jpg

Here's a couple we took with our stick. You're right, nothing in the background. It's so much more self-absorbed than the pictures the ship photographers take of you at the port. We're obviously full of ourselves if we want to have a picture of us in places we've visited.

10421987_10206810546083525_7908296811801057026_n.jpg.a3674f0d52fe2d0be7e0401e5417fd99.jpg

11390321_10206810780129376_6071867677471967540_n.jpg.655b6f35f5fa7817b547790e0ef51e75.jpg

I'd love one but I'm afraid of the backlash! I cherish the memories of holidays and take lots of photos, selfies of me and my fiancé and all... I'm want to be able to look back at places we've been together, what's so wrong with that!? X

Question, who actually spends time thinking about or caring about Mark Zuckerberg's bank account? How does Zuckerberg's wealth affect you and who in his/her right mind trolls facebook counting "selfies"? You can't possibly be serious. I'm LMAO thinking about this. In my opinion, people make any photo more interesting or colorful. It's not just about the location or scenery, it's about people. A trip, a vacation, or a cruise is about people and experiences. Capture one in a photo and you're lucky. Capture both in a photo and you are really lucky. I could care less who takes the picture, just take the picture. At the end of the day, as long as we are all considerate and respectful of others, we shouldn't give 2 sh*ts who is in favor or not in favor of "selfie sticks". I know I don't. :p

.........There's a reason why Disney has banned them in their parks......they are annoying but not surprising how this invention has caught on with the self absorbed generation......the good thing is that they can be thrown over board as easy as , say, a golf club........selfie stick?......It's all about me ALL THE TIME!!!!!!:eek::cool:

They are not banned in any Disney park just on rides.

They're actually quite fun. You can get a much broader shot. I only wish we had ours when we went to Bryce Canton, Utah a few months ago. Stunning.

What's the problem? Why are they annoying to you? Not illegal, immoral, or fattening. Win-Win! :D

Selfie sticks are even more annoying than the people taking selfies. They do get in the way of others trying to enjoy an attraction. I've seen people get hit with them. The users an be incredibly insensitive. Good to know that some area attractions have begun banning them. The only "win" is for the person using them, definitely not for the people around them.

• 1 month later...

Hate them...especially when they were all over the historical sights in Europe or you were walking around and then BAM smacked in the face by someone turning around holding one....only positive thing about them is I wasn't asked by a million people to take their picture while trying to enjoy a sight on my own.

They're actually quite fun. You can get a much broader shot. I only wish we had ours when we went to Bryce Canton, Utah a few months ago. Stunning.

What's the problem? Why are they annoying to you? Not illegal, immoral, or fattening. Win-Win! :D

I may bring one with me next cruise, and I promise not to or buy one that collapse for a less annoying size.

Funny I do agree with the Smart phone is the most annoying thing ever made, but I could not live without mine LOL

ME!!!! ME!!!!!!!!! ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL THE TIME!!!!! ME!!!!!

I have always been able to get the shots I want without a selfish stick. Somehow we all got nice vacation photos before camera phone and selfish sticks.

But you might have to actually talk to and consider people around you. Horrible, I know.

But your teen should not have a problem in carry-on luggage.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Edited by lido deck larry

They banned them from all the parks at the end of June. People weren't listening to the rules. Big surprise. :rolleyes:

Just returned from Disney and they even give you a flyer when you pay for parking about the Ban

^ This. OP, there is not prohibition on a selfie stick, but do be careful. They can easily get in others' way, as we found out in Alaska when using ours. :o

Awareness is half the issue, your post gives me hope :D

I may bring one with me next cruise, and I promise not to or buy one that collapse for a less annoying size.

Funny I do agree with the Smart phone is the most annoying thing ever made, but I could not live without mine LOL

Giving kids smart phones maybe the most annoying idea or use of an invention. My neice had twins a few years ago and she had a nice birthday party for them. I brought my cameras thinking I would get some nice photos for her. It was nearly impossible as there were a dozen 8-10 year old girls in the babies faces with their phones the entire party.

Giving kids smart phones maybe the most annoying idea or use of an invention. My neice had twins a few years ago and she had a nice birthday party for them. I brought my cameras thinking I would get some nice photos for her. It was nearly impossible as there were a dozen 8-10 year old girls in the babies faces with their phones the entire party.

Oh yeah, and then when there are too many people all crowded around the kids, the adults / teens put their phones / tablets on selfie sticks to take pictures over the crowd.

I don't know why I try going to my niece's birthday parties.. don't get to spend anytime with her because of rude family members.

Hate them...especially when they were all over the historical sights in Europe or you were walking around and then BAM smacked in the face by someone turning around holding one....only positive thing about them is I wasn't asked by a million people to take their picture while trying to enjoy a sight on my own.

The alternate to that is that you walked in front of somebody trying to take a picture of someone else.

Given the options of being bothered or walking in front of someone else taking pictures, they seem like a good option. People are going to take pictures, regardless of the tool- 35mm, Go Pro, point and shoot, phone, whatever- they been doing it since the invention of the camera.

I'd rather deal with people using selfie sticks vs. someone with a big tripod and using a timer to take a picture of themselves.

I just returned from a trip to Peru to see Machu Picchu, and the selfie sticks were a HUGE problem there as well. The biggest issue is people smacking other people in the face with these things, and then also the blocking the flow of pedestrian traffic through tight areas. There were so many times people taking pics w/ selfie sticks were blocking 50 or more people from being able to get by on the narrow terraces, and completely oblivious to anyone around them who got annoyed (or likely just didn't care).

Kudos to Disney for the ban, I'm hopeful more tourist sites follow suit. I think it's less about the loss of photo revenue and more about the blocking the flow of pedestrian traffic IMO. You can walk between two people taking a photo in between shots, you can't when a person has their selfie stick fully extended and walking along taking up a 5' diameter space as they walk never putting it down because they want the perfect shot.

Edited by FlyStef
addition for explanation

I just returned from a trip to Peru to see Machu Picchu, and the selfie sticks were a HUGE problem there as well. The biggest issue is people smacking other people in the face with these things, and then also the blocking the flow of pedestrian traffic through tight areas. There were so many times people taking pics w/ selfie sticks were blocking 50 or more people from being able to get by on the narrow terraces, and completely oblivious to anyone around them who got annoyed (or likely just didn't care).

Kudos to Disney for the ban, I'm hopeful more tourist sites follow suit. I think it's less about the loss of photo revenue and more about the blocking the flow of pedestrian traffic IMO. You can walk between two people taking a photo in between shots, you can't when a person has their selfie stick fully extended and walking along taking up a 5' diameter space as they walk never putting it down because they want the perfect shot.

You do realize that the blocking of the path isn't due to the selfie stick, don't you? That's just people wanting to get pictures of themselves at places. That would happen just as bad if they asked someone to take a picture of them, or one took a picture of the other.

That happened before the invention of the smart phone.