Epic 24 May Day 5-Livorno/Pisa

trfccruiser

Having had 2 early starts on the trot we decided from now on we were going to take our time and not be governed by the clock.After all,we’re on holiday!We decided to have breakfast in O’Sheehan’s for a change.The food was absolutely fine, full cooked breakfast juice tea coffee etc (Rachel also had her addictive Cinnamon Roll).All served quickly and a nice alternative to the very busy buffet but the staff are a bit dour in O’Sheehan’s we found.Not Elsewhere, as most are very good except also we found the same at the Atrium café.

Rachel loves the cake boss programme and I had brought her some cupcakes back from Geataway,so she wanted some more.The “Carlos bakery” (just a shelf really) was smaller than Getaway and had virtually no stick all week.I asked do you have any cupcakes please?No! was the shouted and slightly nowty reply.Will you have any tomorrow?No!Someone not very happy in his job.

The daily programme said that there was a local shuttle bus (price$12) that took you to the station.As we were planning to go to Pisa and I knew it was only 10 minutes on the train, this was fine by us.The good news it wasn’t $12 it was 5 Euros return.The bad news it took you to the Grande Piazza which was miles from the station.We weren’t in a hurry but if I had been say go to Florence I would have been mighty peeved.It’s so important to get details like this right.

We got a taxi to the station but caught a local bus back.We had prebooked to go up the Leaning Tower online which I had done before.Last time you had to exchange the online ticket for a “real” ticket” this time it wasn’t necessary.All bags have to be put in lockers before your visit though no exeptions,locker storage is included in the price.

When you go in you get a brief 5 minute history of the tower and then climb up at your leisure it is quite a climb and the last section the steps are very worn but it’s worth it for the views.You do have a weird sensation though with the “lean”.

We then had a nice lunch nearby followed by some fabulous ice cream and a look round a nice square nearby.Back to Livorno and the ladies did some shopping whilst I wrote a couple of postcards in the sun.

We then went back for a swim and another go on the favourite doughnut water slide which is just brilliant.

We decided to go back to Shanghai’s again and had a buzzer again about 30 minute wait.We were not disappointed it was every bit as good as the first time.I had sticky pork sliders(you can have them steamed or fried, I had them steamed-delicious very like Siu Mai),Orange Peel Beef which was as lovely as it sounds and the 5 spice choc cake again.Liz’s desserts deserves a special mention crispy parcels with green tea ice cream.Sounds horrible?It’s the opposite,trust me.

We then went to Howl at the Moon which I really enjoyed on Getaway but Rachel was very unimpressed.To be fair the singers didn’t appear as good, but I do like the concept.

IMGP2013_zpsc6b4013o.jpg

Leaning Tower shot.Practically everyone was doing the jokey I'm holding this up pose

IMGP2020_zpsod8nnfm3.jpg

Bells from Tower which was built as Belltower for Cathedral next door,only to become much more famous for dodgy building

IMGP2017_zpsyotcfz93.jpg

View from top of the Tower

IMGP2019_zpsdufd6hia.jpg

Columns at top of the Tower

IMGP2031_zpsuav9hnxu.jpg

Some of the nearly 300 steps to climb-it's worth it!The last section are quite worn,but most are fine.

IMGP2008_zpsqpvrxlpa.jpg

Sovereign(Pullmantur, ex Sovereign of the Seas) and Oceana next door to us in Livorno-who put that crane in the way?!

Edited by philhar

Thank you. I've been following your reviews. It's something I look forward to each day.

Very interesting about the shuttle. I've read several previous CC'er said they took the $12 shuttle to the train station from the Epic, so that's consistent with the info on the Dailies. Do you think it's possible that there may have been 2 different kinds that either go to town or the train station? We were counting on the train station shuttle option as well (planning to do the same thing you did) in a couple of weeks. I hope they haven't discontinued it!

Just in case they have, what time did you leave the ship at Livorno? Did you see a lot of taxis about then?

Thank you. I've been following your reviews. It's something I look forward to each day.

Very interesting about the shuttle. I've read several previous CC'er said they took the $12 shuttle to the train station from the Epic, so that's consistent with the info on the Dailies. Do you think it's possible that there may have been 2 different kinds that either go to town or the train station? We were counting on the train station shuttle option as well (planning to do the same thing you did) in a couple of weeks. I hope they haven't discontinued it!

Just in case they have, what time did you leave the ship at Livorno? Did you see a lot of taxis about then?

Hi Ptngr,thanks for your comments.I guess there could have been 2.All I can say was I asked when I got off the ship where to get the shuttle.I wasn't told there were 2 and was directed to a tent to pay.On the way back,I only saw local buses and taxis at the station.We left the ship about 10.30,came back about 5.If you did get the shuttle to the Grande Piazza there was a number 1 bus round the corner for the station(about 10 minutes) or plenty of taxis.

I guess one more thing to watch out for! Seems NCL is a bit disorganized when it comes to shuttles. Comment in an older review threads from a few years ago said the opposite --NCL announced that the shuttle will go to town center on the daily but it went to the train station!

Very interesting about the shuttle. I've read several previous CC'er said they took the $12 shuttle to the train station from the Epic, so that's consistent with the info on the Dailies. Do you think it's possible that there may have been 2 different kinds that either go to town or the train station?

Yes, in my experience there are two different shuttles, one run by NCL (to the train station) and another one run by the local port authorities (to the center of town). The people in the port will naturally steer you towards their own shuttle, but if that's not the one you want, just walk pass them and exit to the parking lot, where you should see the NCL shuttle and someone selling tickets (charged to your room account, no US cash required).

Yes, in my experience there are two different shuttles, one run by NCL (to the train station) and another one run by the local port authorities (to the center of town). The people in the port will naturally steer you towards their own shuttle, but if that's not the one you want, just walk pass them and exit to the parking lot, where you should see the NCL shuttle and someone selling tickets (charged to your room account, no US cash required).

Hi it was a member of NCL staff that directed me.Still, at least I know now( and more importantly so do people who are going on later cruises)!

Don't know how often the shuttles were running on the return leg.We waited nearly 10 minutes at the station for a local bus to take us back to the Grande Piazza and during that time I saw no NCL shuttles.

Hi it was a member of NCL staff that directed me.
I don't know who you asked, but some of the staff/crew may honestly not know that there is more than one shuttle. When they have a couple of hours of shore leave, they take that same shuttle into town. I don't think they often get the opportunity to explore Tuscany by train!

I don't know who you asked, but some of the staff/crew may honestly not know that there is more than one shuttle. When they have a couple of hours of shore leave, they take that same shuttle into town. I don't think they often get the opportunity to explore Tuscany by train!

Hi it was actually someone on duty, not just a random team member,but these things happen.

• 1 month later...

Does the local 5 euro shuttle to the centre of Livorno leave from inside the dock or outside. From the little info. I can find on the port the suggestion is is that you can't walk through the port. Is this correct? We would rather pay 5 euro than 12 on the ship's shuttle as we just want to get off the ship for a while for a walk around the town centre as we've been to the area on several occasions and have seen the major sights.

When we were in Livorno on the Jade in February they had a $12 shuttle to the train station and the Livorno port operated a 5 euro shuttle to a plaza in town where you could catch a bus to the train station. Think the OP got the wrong shuttle.

We were in Livorno this week, and I can confirm the two shuttles. €5 to the town centre paid in cash when you board, or the one to the train station, which was $15 (I think), charged to your onboard account.

If you do end up on the town centre one you can then catch a local bus to the train station. It works out cheaper, but is a bit of a pain.

Does the local 5 euro shuttle to the centre of Livorno leave from inside the dock or outside. From the little info. I can find on the port the suggestion is is that you can't walk through the port. Is this correct? We would rather pay 5 euro than 12 on the ship's shuttle as we just want to get off the ship for a while for a walk around the town centre as we've been to the area on several occasions and have seen the major sights.

The local €5 shuttle leaves from the side of the ship, and goes to the centre of town (just outside the tourist information office). If you wanted to go the train station, it is necessary to either catch a town bus or walk about a mile.

I found that you can walk out of the port to the town, it is only around 1.5 miles. However, they would really, really, really prefer that you didn't.

There is no marked or signed footpath out of the port, or even worse, back to the ship. If you just try to follow line of sight you will just end up walking into one of the many docks. Add onto that the trucks, containers, and heavy machinery moving round, then you understand the reason they want people on a shuttle bus.

When we were in Livorno in early July there were 2 shuttles and we specifically asked if the shuttle we were getting on went to the train station. The women said it did. I was told by another employee in the town center that she didn't understand English very well. We thought she was an NCL employee but she worked for the shuttle company. Almost everyone on our shuttle was told they were going to the train station and were angry.