Advantages to booking your next cruise while onboard ship.

Wow, what's your favourite ship and port? I hear the Radiance class is the nicest.

We like the experience of being on a ship, so just about any ship fills the bill. Our favorite is probably Voyager class, but we find things to like about all the ships. With regard to port, I like Port Canaveral because if it's lack of congestion, ease of transportation, reasonable prices for hotels.

Our first couple of cruises we avoided booking onboard and then it was explained to us. Crazy not to, we get a couple of the next cruise credits, which may have recently been changed, we just got them in Sept. But I really like the reduced deposit. My husband gets reduced cruise fare through the airline he works for so we just transfer the booking to them to get the discount. If you think you'll cruise with the same cruise line again it's a no brainer.

Depends on the stateroom and cruise length. OBC and deposit are the same:

•5-7 night cruises

Interior/Oceanview: $50

Balcony/Junior Suite: $100

Grand Suite and above: $200

•8-10 night cruises

Interior/Oceanview: $100

Balcony/Junior Suite: $150

Grand Suite and above: $300

•11-14 night cruises

Interior/Oceanview: $150

Balcony/Junior Suite: $200

Grand Suite and above: $400

•15 nights or longer cruises

Interior/Oceanview: $200

Balcony/Junior Suite: $250

Grand Suite and above: $500

One comment on reduced deposits when booking on board. If you use a travel agent, they will probably require a full deposit when you get back. The travel agents I have used require this. It's not a reason not to book on board but just wanted to prevent the surprise when you get back. If you only use RCL direct then you won't have to pay anymore until final payment date.

One comment on reduced deposits when booking on board. If you use a travel agent, they will probably require a full deposit when you get back. The travel agents I have used require this. It's not a reason not to book on board but just wanted to prevent the surprise when you get back. If you only use RCL direct then you won't have to pay anymore until final payment date.

This is only if the travel agent moves you into a group. We use a travel agent all the time, and usually do not have to add to the deposit.

Would we be able to book two staterooms on a future sailing, and get the OBC and reduced deposit on both cabins, even if the people sailing in the second room are not on this sailing? How much is the OBC for a 7 night?

Would we be able to book two staterooms on a future sailing, and get the OBC and reduced deposit on both cabins, even if the people sailing in the second room are not on this sailing? How much is the OBC for a 7 night?

Yes, you can book cruises for other people so they get the perks.

See post #5 for OBC amounts.

Thanks clarea! I didn't catch that the OBC and deposit are the same. We may consider doing this.

Keep this in mind: You can opt to take the OBC immediately (on the cruise you are on) or on the future cruise. If you take the OBC immediately, you do not get a refund if you cancel the future cruise.

So how does it work if you take a future cruise, if you keep it with RC do they have all of your info? How does it work if at a later date you know what date and ship you want?

Sorry, I don't get what you are asking.

If you don't know the date or ship you want, does Royal keep the info when you put your deposit or do you have to provide a number when you book and can you book online?

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought I read that there was no open booking anymore. So you can just pick any future cruise, and then change it when you decide the cruise you really want to take.

Do you know when the rest of the 2017 sailings come out, I only see some of the intenerays, I still can't believe there charging 655 for a 5 day on the Brilliance.

More itineraries will come out in March/April 2016.

So if I understand correctly you pay 100 for a cabin not pp, if you book 6-9 cruise but you get a 100 OBC, so if you take 100 on that cruise but cancel you don't get the 100 back, can you explain this to me. I'm not saying we'll take the OBC on the cruise were on, but I'd rather know all the info so I know.

So if I understand correctly you pay 100 for a cabin not pp, if you book 6-9 cruise but you get a 100 OBC, so if you take 100 on that cruise but cancel you don't get the 100 back, can you explain this to me. I'm not saying we'll take the OBC on the cruise were on, but I'd rather know all the info so I know.

Correct.

i'm glad to hear you can book and pay in canadian. my t.a. said she didn't think you could, that if you booked on board it would be in u.s.

how would the obc work if you pay in canadian? do they convert your deposit into u.s. using a percentage? is it the going rate of the day or something set?

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought I read that there was no open booking anymore. So you can just pick any future cruise, and then change it when you decide the cruise you really want to take.

Just to clarify, you can move it to another booking and keep the reduced deposit?

My only reason for booking onboard is the reduced deposit. We're a family of 5 and I hate laying out $1250 more than a year in advance. I'd like to book something for the summer of 2017. So I'm thinking of booking Spring of 2017 while onboard and then changing it to summer when those dates are released.

When we're on-board, we book the farthest cruise out that's available at the time - it doesn't matter what it is - because we have an idea of what our next cruise will be it just hasn't opened up yet. Then when that cruise opens up, we call Crown & Anchor directly, give them our reservation number, and change it over. Our OBC transfers over as well. We also don't use a travel agent - I prefer to have control of my own travel plans. :)