Jewel of the Seas to Alaska! May 29, 2015 Pictorial Review!

No problem. I've seen a few other CC'ers posting about being on Jewel recently. You might find someone that has them if you start a new thread just asking for the Compasses.

Thanks for the tip. I'll also bring them back and post to share with others.

If you find it please send the link. I hear the Jewel comes into the furthest away dock in Juneau. Seems weird since there are only 2 ships in port.... rccl would not tell us that....:( it comes into an ugly industrial area a mile from DT. Not one of the nice docks. So we have to take a shuttle.. to DT.

We just returned from our cruise aboard Jewel to Alaska July 3. We had a fabulous time and I wrote a detailed report and submitted it but don't see it anyplace.

Did you submit it in the reviews section of Cruise Critic, or as a topic here in the forums?

When you submit reviews in the official section they take a couple of days to get reviewed and published.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Grady for great review and pictures. There isn't that much info on the boards about Jewel OTS so love reading about her as we are same ship in September. I guess the weather will be a lot colder then but looking forward to the views and hoping to see some wildlife. Thanks again

Sue

Thanks Grady for great review and pictures. There isn't that much info on the boards about Jewel OTS so love reading about her as we are same ship in September. I guess the weather will be a lot colder then but looking forward to the views and hoping to see some wildlife. Thanks again

Sue

No problem at all, glad it was helpful. Hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did!

I loved this review and the photos! Thank you so much, I plan to take this cruise in just three more weeks. This will be our very first cruise too. Very excited!

Quick question, how long did it take (on average?) to debark the boat at the stops? I have heard varying tales that some ships can take a long time. I am interested in all three stops, but particularly in Juneau as we have a 1:15PM pickup scheduled for a helicopter dog-sled and glacier walk tour. Since we are scheduled to arrive at noon, I get the impression we should have plenty of time. We are debating meeting them in town, but I heard its a bit of a walk. ??

Also, when are we required to be back on the boat? For example, if it departs at 9PM, when is the latest we can check in? We want to spend as much time on shore as we can to sight-see.

Answers in red, enjoy your cruise!

Quick question, how long did it take (on average?) to debark the boat at the stops? I have heard varying tales that some ships can take a long time. I am interested in all three stops, but particularly in Juneau as we have a 1:15PM pickup scheduled for a helicopter dog-sled and glacier walk tour. Since we are scheduled to arrive at noon, I get the impression we should have plenty of time. We are debating meeting them in town, but I heard its a bit of a walk. ??

You should be fine with the 1:15 pickup if the ship arrives at noon. I believe ours was the same. We had lunch on board then headed off the ship. I'd shoot for being on the pier by 1 o'clock. All three ports have piers, no tender boats, so the debarkation process generally goes pretty smoothly. For early morning arrivals, its usually not busy right when the ship gets cleared. Most people want to get breakfast, so it gets busy down there after an hour or so.

Also, when are we required to be back on the boat? For example, if it departs at 9PM, when is the latest we can check in? We want to spend as much time on shore as we can to sight-see.

They will have the "all aboard" time listed in the daily newsletter (Cruise Compass) and almost always by the gangway as you depart. If the ship leaves at 9, they will probably want you back on board by 8:15-8:30. Make sure there is not a difference between ship's time and local time. On our cruise, they changed the ship's time to sync with the port-of-call.

Thank you! Very helpful. Since this will be my first cruise (and I feel like I am going into this a bit blind!) I want to avoid any major 'gotchas!' I have been reading and reading as much as I can.

Good plan, forewarned is forearmed. ;)

Can I ask another question? I have read repeatedly that RCCL in general appears loose with their 'formal attire' requirements, but I just got off the phone with customer agent for RCCL and she says JACKETS ARE REQUIRED for men. She mentioned that it can be draped over your arm or chair, you just need to have one. Can you tell me if that sounds right, were they really that strict on the Jewel? I am mainly asking about the dining room on formal nights and not Chops Grille, but would love to hear your thoughts on what ever you know. Hubby doesn't own a jacket.

My husband is going to carry his leather jacket...........he does not own a sports coat and we are not purchasing one........I am told they will let you in. We have "my time" dining at 6

He wants the lobster they serve on formal night

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can I ask another question? I have read repeatedly that RCCL in general appears loose with their 'formal attire' requirements, but I just got off the phone with customer agent for RCCL and she says JACKETS ARE REQUIRED for men. She mentioned that it can be draped over your arm or chair, you just need to have one. Can you tell me if that sounds right, were they really that strict on the Jewel? I am mainly asking about the dining room on formal nights and not Chops Grille, but would love to hear your thoughts on what ever you know. Hubby doesn't own a jacket.

Royal does not enforce their dress suggestions.

I think inukshul gal's husband and mine must be brothers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL, I was thinking they would probably get along swell! Too bad we are not on the same cruise, you leave 1 week before I do.

Have a fabulous time!

I think they have to say that stuff because it's the official rule, but like others have said, it's rarely if ever enforced. I've seen lots of guys wearing nice jeans and a collar shirt on formal nights with no issue.

They will enforce some of the dress codes, when I was on the Jewel on the July 17th sailing, I did see the dining room manager tell two passengers in shorts and sandals that they needed to be in at least jeans.

This thread makes me miss the ship, it was the first time I had ever cruised and had a awesome experience, kinda makes me sad that she is going to be replaced next year by the Explorer, but I have heard good thing about her too, so I am looking forward to my next Alaska cruise