Splendour Dining Room Wine Policy

I've a friend on Splendour now who is reporting that they are not allowing guests to bring their own wine (wine they brought on the ship during initial embarkation) into the dining room.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Whether it's limited to Splendour, or if anyone has seen this on other ships.

There was no problem bringing our allotment of wine to the MDR for the recent May 25th sailing of the Enchantment a few weeks ago.

Thans for the update. We also had no problem on Liberty, but that was 3 months ago.

Just off splendour & we didn't have any issues either.

Really, you were able to bring your own wine (that you purchased off the ship) into the dining room with no hassle?

As far as I know, there has never been a policy against bringing wine to the dining room on any ship. The only difference has been whether or not a corkage fee would be due.

I would guess that this was some sort of misunderstanding - either your friend misunderstood what someone said to them, or a server misunderstood the policy.

As far as I know, there has never been a policy against bringing wine to the dining room on any ship. The only difference has been whether or not a corkage fee would be due.

I would guess that this was some sort of misunderstanding - either your friend misunderstood what someone said to them, or a server misunderstood the policy.

That was my first thought too, a misunderstanding. However, he says he mentioned the policy to the Concierge and it was confirmed.

I'll email him tonight and try to find out exactly what was said.

I'll be interested in the response and whether the policy only pertains to the Splendour or potentially the entire fleet. If the latter, I'd be very disappointed considering the 'Wine & Dine' package is no longer available.

That was my first thought too, a misunderstanding. However, he says he mentioned the policy to the Concierge and it was confirmed.

Yes - Bob if it was anyone but you (and a few others) reporting this, I would have no trouble dismissing it right away. But let's wait to hear what he says. I'm hoping it's a misunderstanding too - we don't want to start going backwards again after being permitted to bring wine onboard. :(

We were on the June 6 sailing of the Splendour and had no problems. We bought two 750 mL bottles of wine (red and champagne) in the Coop store near Piazzale Roma just before boarding and walked on with them in a separate bag, with no questions at all. When we brought each bottle to the MDR, the assistant waiter simply joked, "Oh, you brought me a present!" and then opened the wine for us. The champagne he put on ice for a few minutes since it had been sitting in our stateroom most of the week. We split the bottle of red between two nights, and he wrote our stateroom number on it and stored it overnight. People were not allowed to carry on anything from ports other than Venice, though; any wine or other alcohol was confiscated as they came on board and stored.

I got a bit more info from my friend on Splendour. He says they are preventing people from bringing open bottles of wine into the MDR. He says it's even printed in the Compass.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...