Alaska Cruise/tour - luggage question

JPH814

We will be arriving in Anchorage on July 8, spend July 9th in Anchorage, travel to Denali on the 10th and 11th and return to Seward to board our ship on the 12th. All of this is through our HAL package.

How will the luggage work?

I assume we will take all our luggage to our hotel in Anchorage. When we leave for Denali, we will take one bag for our two night stay, and the rest of our luggage will be forwarded to the ship?

I am assuming this, because I have not seen it written anywhere in our cruise documents (unless I missed it)

Or is my assumption incorrect and we will be schlepping 12 days worth of clothes up to Denali and back?

Our C/T was Fairbanks to Denali to Seward. From our first hotel in Fairbanks we could send any bags we didn't need ahead to the ship. The one we kept with us was put outside our door each morning that we moved, and was sent ahead by truck. On the bus we just had our carry-ons. This was almost 8 years ago, so I'm not sure how it's done now.

Edited by catl331

When we did this all of our luggage went with us to each hotel. We couldn't send anything ahead to be waiting for us when boarded ths ship. That was 2008 so as the previous poster said, things could have changed.

As of last Fall, at the hotel in Anchorage you designate which bags you want forwarded directly to the ship. For Denali whatever bags you want sent there are forwarded by truck to meet you when you arrive. Of course you should have a small carry-on bag for the bus/train trip to Denali. You'll be provided with very clear instructions on all this when you arrive at the hotel in Anchorage.

Edited by Dave in NJ

When we did this tour last summer We had to have our bags that would not travel with us outside our Anchorage hotel room by 7 pm. They were in our cabin days later when we boarded the ship. Here's a hint from my experience: do not put you nicely printed and laminated luggage tags inside the bags that you send on to the ship...you will want them later for the bags you have used on the tour. Of course I was able to get hand written replacement ones (NOT easily however) and felt like such a dummy! Have a fabulous time. We have cruised in Alaska many times but last year's Denali trip was fantastically memorable!

We did the Y2C land and sea trip in 2011, thinking our cruise bags would go directly to the ship. That didn't happen!! They told us they only take bags to the ship on certain trips!! We had to lug that pile of luggage for ten days!! Çheck with HAL. The instructions in the paperwork were very confusing for us!! Also be ready for some very early mornings and take a small carrry on bag for your overnight stuff. They say you can't put a bag on the train, but we saw lots of people with carry on bags being put in the luggage compartment. It's a fabulous trip!!!