Any "solo" cruisers out there??

bernnj

I'm cruising solo in October!!!

It will be my 8th cruise... first time solo, however.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise! What ship and time are you cruising on? I cruised solo in May 2001 on the Explorer and had a wonderful adventure. Made friends on this site before the cruise and we all met the first day out wearing rubber bands to identify ourselves. It was a great week and I still correspond with friends from California that I met on that cruise.

I live in South Jersey and was hoping to cruise from a location where I don't have to fly.

I've got the cruisin' bug again and was hoping to find out if anyone else was cruising solo. Ready for another adventure!!:) :) :)

Bernadette

Bernadette, I'm cruising on the NCL Majesty out of Boston. My 4th cruise, but first by myself. I'm really looking forward to it.

Let me know when you book, or when you're thinking about it. I'd love to go and we can both have someone to sun bathe with! :-)

As for the supplement question that was asked.....I paid it, but the cruise itself was already SUPER CHEAP. I got a cabin of my own for $860.

Bernadette, I'm cruising on the NCL Majesty out of Boston. My 4th cruise, but first by myself. I'm really looking forward to it.

Let me know when you book, or when you're thinking about it. I'd love to go and we can both have someone to sun bathe with! :-)

As for the supplement question that was asked.....I paid it, but the cruise itself was already SUPER CHEAP. I got a cabin of my own for $860.

Hi Sarah...Hope you have a wonderful adventure:cool: There is something very affirming about the first "solo" cruise. Still haven't made a decision about what cruise line. My solo cruise in May 2001 was on Royal Caribbean and I was fortunate to have mostly all single people at my assigned table. Please let me know about the cruise and your experience when you return. Happy Sailin':)

Bernadette

I'm sailing solo in 4 days. I couldn't get any takers so I said the heck with them all and decided to go anyway. I have been on the Roll Call board for this cruise and signed up for the Meet & Mingle so I don't think it will feel like I am sailing alone. I already feel like I know most of the people and if all show up for the M&M we have over 60 already. I'm excited and nervous but it should be fun. I will try to remember to post back to you to let you know how it went (I'll leave myself a note here at home). There is also another woman in the group going solo for her first time too. The whole expericence should be quite interesting.....now if I can only get my suitcase closed.....:)

I have been on 3 cruises solo and I love it. (My last cruise was cancelled due to Hurrican Katrina) To be honest, it is my preferred way to cruise. No one to coordinate event/activities with. Plenty of room in the cabin. I love it. A person has to be somewhat friendly/outgoing to successfully cruise solo. It is not for everyone. However, it is definitely for me!!!:D

As for single supplement, you have to be completely flexible in order to avoid a huge fee. (Last minute booking helps a lot) For my POAm cruise, I had a definite date/ship in mind so I am paying double the going rate but only the tax for one.

I always book lowest category guarantee. I have never been disappointed in my room. I don't care where I am on the ship and do not need a balcony or a window because I am only in the room to sleep, shower and change clothes. Also, if you party into the wee hours on the ship and want to sleep late, nothing beats an inside cabin because it is always dark. No annoying sunlight to start your hangover roaring.

Most cruiseships (especially Carnival) will put all solo cruisers together for dinner. It is a great way to find a "cruise buddy" whom you are not obligated to hang with the entire cruise. It is wonderful. I spent last Christmas Day jumping the waves on Paradise Island, Bahamas with one of the ladies assigned to my table in the dining room. There was 5 or 6 of us at the table who hit is off marvelously and we kind of buddy-ed up when convenient throughout the cruise. Also, there are always women who come on board with their husbands and the husbands want to stay in the room and sleep. They are especially hungry for a little company and jump at the chance to join someone for a drink or sit with you through the show. As you can tell, I have never had a bad time solo. Had some stinkers going with other people though.

Lastly, just found this message board. It is great. A group of us are meeting in one of the bars on POAm after the drill for a embarkation cocktail!!!

Solo Cruisers Unite!!!!!!!!!:p

I cruised solo to Hawaii in July. Had a great time! But the whole ship was families and couples. Still had great time and met many nice people! Knew because of the itinery that there would not be other solos but that was ok with me!

Didn't have to pay single supp as there was one single cabin on the ship.

Becky

I cruised solo to Hawaii in July. Had a great time! But the whole ship was families and couples. Still had great time and met many nice people! Knew because of the itinery that there would not be other solos but that was ok with me!

Didn't have to pay single supp as there was one single cabin on the ship.

Becky

Like you, I figure most people on the POAm will be couple or family-ed up. That is fine with me. I am very outgoing but tend to like to move solo. Unless the couple is on their honeymoon or the family has some sort of dark secret to keep, most people welcome the interaction with other people. I went on a cruise once with my husband and if it were not for the other people on the ship, I would have thrown him overboard by the 3rd day!!!:D

Tell me about this ship with a single cabin. I usually troll the travel websites looking for deals and when I hit one that has little or no supp, I tend to hop on it.

Need to cruise again. Any "solo" cruisers sailing in October or November 05??:) :cool:

Have been searching this RC board as well as Norweigan and Celebrity for October/November cruises from Philadelphia or Bayonne or NY..destinations Bermuda or Caribbean. Still undecided. Help?

I was on NCL Wind. IF you look at their brochure you will find one KK room. It is on the Caribbean deck in the middle. Room #4146. Was small bur centrally located. When you get on the ship it is the first door on the left. Had a twin bed and even had a loveseat! Safe in the closet. Was great for a single! 11 days for $1178! Couldn't find a better price to see Hawaii!

Becky

We're doing the 9-day eastern Caribbean next June on the Explorer. There WILL be lots of kids on the ship, but there are always lots of singles, too. Join us. :) Can you wait until then?

Carol

Just looked at the itinerary for the June sailings on Explorer. What date in June are you all sailing? I was on the Explorer in May 01, my first solo cruise and loved it. Its great for all ages!! Maybe I can convince my daughter, son-in-law, and two little grandsons to cruise then too. They love to cruise but have never been on RCCL. The little guy will be a year then and the older prince will be 3.

I'm in my mid 50's but feel like my 20's...somehow I am going in reverse. Love adventure and love to dance:) ;) :D

Bernadette

Just looked at the itinerary for the June sailings on Explorer. What date in June are you all sailing? I was on the Explorer in May 01, my first solo cruise and loved it. Its great for all ages!! Maybe I can convince my daughter, son-in-law, and two little grandsons to cruise then too. They love to cruise but have never been on RCCL. The little guy will be a year then and the older prince will be 3.

I'm in my mid 50's but feel like my 20's...somehow I am going in reverse. Love adventure and love to dance:) ;) :D

Bernadette

We're going on the 30th, and you sound like you'd be fun to hang out with! Think about it.

Hi Robin,

Who would have expected such spectacular weather. RCCL charges 200%, so you're paying as though there are 2 people in the room. As far as tipping, even though my cabin steward was not the greatest, I tipped him as though there were 2 people in the cabin. What a memory, can't wait to go back. I will definitely cruise solo again. Booked Mariner in January with my old dad. Hope he can make it, he's got lots of issues.

We're going on the 30th, and you sound like you'd be fun to hang out with! Think about it.

Thanks. :D I'll keep that in mind and I really think that a cruise next May or June 06 would be great...have time to save up for it!

Archived