Princess questions from a newbie

Hi all,

This will be our first Princess cruise (to South Pacific) so some info would be much appreciated.

On the Princess website it states that lemonade is included in the fare. Does anyone know what the lemonade is like (I.E Schweppes clear vs Schweppes traditional with lemon juice vs Solo)? I think this should keep the kids fairly happy as long as it is something they will drink.

Also, after dinner if we were to go to a lounge area or the Skywalkers bar would our children be able to accompany us or are these places 18+ venues? I know there is kids club til 10pm but as a general rule our evenings are family time so we would like to spend a few evenings together. They are 6yrs and 10yrs old.

Any other advice for activities to do with our children while onboard would be appreciated (they are on the whole very well behaved and are used to formal-type settings). We want to find a balance between doing some activities on our own as well as enjoying family time.

Many thanks.

Also, after dinner if we were to go to a lounge area or the Skywalkers bar would our children be able to accompany us or are these places 18+ venues? I know there is kids club til 10pm but as a general rule our evenings are family time so we would like to spend a few evenings together. They are 6yrs and 10yrs old.

The last time when we where on the Diamond Princess, Skywalkers bar turned 18+ venue after 10 - 10:30pm.

I like the lemonade very much but do dilute it down with water as I find it rather sweet like cordial as others have said.

When we first started cruising we would take some bottles or cans with us of our favourite soft drinks as we dont drink alcohol. We dont bother these days.

Took grandaughters on princess and p and o cruises and they just loved the kids club. were aged 8,9,4 at the time. hardest part was getting the little one out of kids club to take her to meals. the older one understood she couldnt stay in the kids program all day but not the youngest.

The kids are more likely wanting to go to sleep at 10pm after a full day with Kids club.

I think it's a brave parent that can get the kids out of the kids club before "closing time" :eek::p

Edited by dizzy1948

Thanks so much for the replies.

I'm glad I asked about the "lemonade" then. Will have to weigh up getting the soda package vs buying by the glass for the kids.

Does anyone have any recent prices of drinks (in AUD$) so I can evaluate?

I'd be happy even if the bars/lounges would only allow children til 10pm. Chances are we'll probably be close to had-it by then anyway. :o

We have booked the traditional dining at 6pm, so they will be with us for that, but I figured a few evenings we would then go somewhere (bar/lounge/theatre/etc) afterwards, so we wouldn't have to drag them away from kids club at night (they would already be with us). We may end up finding we want to ditch them (or them, us) til close of kids club at 10pm ;):D

I'm glad I asked about the "lemonade" then. Will have to weigh up getting the soda package vs buying by the glass for the kids.

I'd be happy even if the bars/lounges would only allow children til 10pm. Chances are we'll probably be close to had-it by then anyway. :o

We have booked the traditional dining at 6pm, so they will be with us for that, but I figured a few evenings we would then go somewhere (bar/lounge/theatre/etc) afterwards, so we wouldn't have to drag them away from kids club at night (they would already be with us). We may end up finding we want to ditch them (or them, us) til close of kids club at 10pm ;):D

Here is a link to Princess Australia page http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/

hope that links to the soda packages ($5.18 per day including tips)

As far as I remember soda was about $2 - $2.20. We took a 30 can cube of Pepsi Max onboard ( i usually drink 3 a day) - only drank about 10-12 in 14 days, left the remaining onbaord.

I think it's a brave parent that can get the kids out of the kids club before "closing time" :eek::p

My point was that they are likely tired and would need sleep (they are only 6 and 10) and after a full day in Kid's club they would be exhausted.

Fair enough, I think the kids are likely wanting to either get back to the club or to bed. Enjoy.:D

You could take a carton of soft drink cans on board with you - just slap a luggage tag on it and it will be delivered to your cabin along with the rest of your luggage.

If your kids do like the kids club you should be able to have a mix of both family nights and couple time. Best of both worlds ;)

The lemonade is very nice but we also diluted it, half lemonade half water.

Getting a soda package for the kids would depend on how much they would normally drink soda. I would not bother with my grandkids as they are not really allowed much of the stuff, they would love the lemonade though.

If we took a case of lemonade on board with us, they wouldn't be able to bring it into the dining room or lounges I presume? Normally if we eat out they are allowed a glass of lemonade with dinner. I don't think the package will work out cost effective for them as they drink water most of the time normally. Plus we have 5 port days out of 10 nights, so only 4 full days on board.

Does anyone know what they get or have access to while at kids club in terms of food and drink? Water/snacks/etc.

I think you'd probably be allowed to take a couple of cans or bottles of lemonade to the dining room with you, especially if it's a brand not sold on Princess - then you can always say that your kids are fussy and this is the only brand they will drink (make sure you clue the kids up first though). ;) The waiters will provide glasses, and ice if required. Try it and see.

Would you go to a regular restaurant carrying your own lemonade? A BBQ lunch at a friends maybe, but not to the ships main dining room at dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No but I often wander into the MDR with a drink in hand.

So perhaps that's the way to go if you are likely to be embarrassed, pour it into a glass before you leave the cabin.

Would you go to a regular restaurant carrying your own lemonade? A BBQ lunch at a friends maybe, but not to the ships main dining room at dinner.

You can take your own wine (after paying the $15 surcharge) so why not a particular brand of soft drink? We're not talking about adults drinks here, The soft drinks are for kids.

But GUT's idea is probably better. Take the kid's drinks in a glass to the MDR with you.

We just got off the Emerald a couple of weeks ago and a can of coke was $2.20. We decided that the soda package was too indulgent as we wouldn't let our daughter drink copious amounts of coke at home. We were also able to buy cans of soda at grocery stores in port very cheap and theres no problem bringing them onboard. I think we ended up buying around ten cans of soft drink onboard for the whole 28 nights between all three of us.

The kids club on Princess is excellent and we were told off for picking our daughter up before closing time a number of times lol. :p We were on a really port intensive cruise though and often up at 6:30am for excursions. When we are on an island cruise we would be hard pressed to drag our daughter out before 10pm. We have never found any places on Princess that are adult only (besides some of the pools) but we don't stay out late in nightclubs. The only time we've heard of a venue becoming adult only is when a show is on that has adult contact i.e. sexual jokes from a comedian.

"Would you go to a regular restaurant carrying your own lemonade?"

Ah, NO. Hence my question about being able to take your BYO drinks with you into the area we will eat. In case you missed my opening post, we have not cruised before (I have a long long time ago on a small ship). People are suggesting taking a case of lemonade on board as a solution, so how am I to know if it allowed in the public areas or not? My presumption is that it would not be allowed (and for the sake of $5 per day for 2 fizzy drinks I'd be inclined not to bother anyway), but thank you to those with helpful suggestions. I am most grateful to know that what I was originally expecting is not so. At least I can dash their hopes early about unlimited "lemonade", but I'm sure they will enjoy the lemon cordial stuff anyway.

Ah, NO. Hence my question about being able to take your BYO drinks with you into the area we will eat. In case you missed my opening post, we have not cruised before (I have a long long time ago on a small ship). People are suggesting taking a case of lemonade on board as a solution, so how am I to know if it allowed in the public areas or not? My presumption is that it would not be allowed (and for the sake of $5 per day for 2 fizzy drinks I'd be inclined not to bother anyway), but thank you to those with helpful suggestions. I am most grateful to know that what I was originally expecting is not so. At least I can dash their hopes early about unlimited "lemonade", but I'm sure they will enjoy the lemon cordial stuff anyway.

You would have no problem carrying a can of soft drink into the dining room, we carried our own drinks wherever we wanted on the ship, no problem. [emoji4]

You would have no problem carrying a can of soft drink into the dining room, we carried our own drinks wherever we wanted on the ship, no problem. [emoji4]

Probably as many people take a drink into the MDR as don't.

That's what I thought. I've read a few threads mentioning the same thing over the past year or so.

Bg difference is that on land the drink you take in to the restaurant was bought off someone else, on a ship it has almost always been bought on the ship. Not always but mostly.