Just back from a week on the SUMMIT to Bermuda, any ?????'s

marco

Do you happen to recall any of the current Officers/Crew on board? Thanks if you do.

Master-Leonardo's Palaiokrassas

Hotel Director-Paul Kelley

Chief Engineer-Argyrios Poulakis

Cruise Director- Ken Mills

Staff Captain-Nigel Smyth

Food and Bev. Director- Shane Mansfield

Guest Relations Mananger- Kim Bird

Executive Chef- Abdul Nasar

We have returned from our first Celebrity cruise on The Summit and Bermuda, so I thought I would write down some of my observations:

1. For some reason we have never sailed Celebrity before. We are not loyal to one cruiseline and generally choose a line for it's destination. From reading a lot of comments here - and comments in general - I was always given to believe that Celebrity may be just a small "cut above" other cruiselines. We did not find this to be so - I would say it has much more in common with RCCL, NCL, Princess, HAL, than it has differences. I looked really, really hard for the "cut above". Couldn't find it but that doesn't mean that we weren't treated well on the Summit and met many nice people. It is clear, however, that Celebrity has many diehard fans; and the mention of positives about other lines can be met with stony silence.

2. The Bermuda cruise seems almost like a right-of-passage to many people living on the east coast of USA. Most people we met took an annual pilgrimage to Bermuda. I would too if it was so darn difficult and convoluted for us to get to the East Coast ports.

3. I'm not a fan of small ships. This is my own personal preference. Many people seem to enjoy it for it's "coziness". I would prefer more dining and entertainment options. Not that Ken didn't do a great job. He (and Justin from Missouri and father-to-be Mark) did a great job. Never had so much fun playing trivia!

4. I truly hope that the Summit is headed for dry-dock this Fall. Although it was spotlessly clean, there was a lot of rust on the balconies and the outside rails were stripped of varnish. Not a huge thing, I know, but I kept thinking "Disney would never allow this".

5. The food. I fear here is where things might get a little testy. I did not like the food. Sorry - I tried - very hard - but I quickly got sick of beef. (The short ribs I tried one night were absolutely appalling. Nothing but fat and gristle. I do not eat veal - yes I'm one of "those". The salmon was overcooked and dry. Chicken (sue me, I like chicken) was rarely to be found and perhaps someone on the crew is a crack duck hunter - because duck seemed to turn up with regularity. Even in the sausage on the last night.I did love the French onion soup and judging from the tables around us - so did many others. And, seriously Celebrity - turkey roll? Shame on you. I best non-Cosmopolitan meal I had was surprisingly at

the buffet where I had a chicken breast grilled - just for me. The best dessert of the week was a lemon tartlet from the little coffee bistro on Deck 5. We tried the Normandie on the second formal night, as we were celebrating our anniversary. The staff was lovely and service was impeccable, but Normandie....you TRY TO HARD! Seriously, do not call arboreal rice swimming butter and topped with a non-descript "foam", "risotto. (I found no evidence of the garlic chips). I have no idea what the "foam" was...(I think I was told, but unfortunately had a lapse in accents). It wasn't risotto. It was risotto soup. Four tables sent back the risotto while we were there - we were one of them. The tomato and mozzarella salad that replaced it was good, but as my husband pointed out - was there any need for large hunks of plain, old grocery store variety tomatoes - especially when so many wonderful varieties are in season? Do not get me started on the lobster. Lobster is made to stand alone in it's deliciousness and succulence. It is not meant to be drenched in: tomatoes, apple-smoked bacon, shallots, parmesan cheese:confused: and Dijon Mustard sauce. Of course the presentation of the lobster was the star of the show. After we scraped off above accoutroument, the lobster itself was delicious. Our dessert was a sampling of 6 various desserts served in shot glasses - again, nice presentation, but other than the one that tasted like the sauce for sticky toffee pudding, (and which we fought over in the most well-mannered way) none were memorable. In my humble opinion, don't waste your money on Normandie.

I have read many comments here about how disorganized seating in the dining room is. (I can see now how creating Luminae out of a piece of the Cosmopolitan created a very crowded, chaotic dining room). On our first morning we waited 45 minutes for an omelet. We had select dining and enjoyed that and met many nice people - especially two Texas gals! (If they read this, they know who they are).;) As the week progressed they seemed to get better at organization and seating.

Chair hogs were out in full force and I am ashamed to say that on the last day I used the "if you can't beat'em, join'em frame of mind". I got sick of being blown to bits on the upper pool deck. Yes, I did use the chair for most of the day - no, I didn't roam off for hours on end.....20 minutes tops, "no, sir, I don't care if you and your wife want to sit together and could we move to the pool deck?....".

Would we sail Celebrity again? Yes - over-all we had a very nice cruise and the staff were friendly and accommodating. Would it be to Bermuda on the Summit? Probably not.

And dear American friends. You do try so hard...but there are more cities in Canada than Toronto. And yes, dear lady on the ferry....we actually DO live here. There actually IS such a place as Winnipeg and we actually CAN find things to do, other than hunt polar bears and repairs the igloos.

(I sincerely apologize for posting this here. I was trying to post a new thread - see - I even named it - but somehow it ended up here. I have tried to move it to no avail! If someone knows how, I would appreciate a lesson on how to do so - if not, I apologize for the faux pas):o

It is funny how food is so different. I met a number of people who could not wait until Thursday to have the short ribs for the entree after having it as an appetizer on Tues. I was one of those.

Had a slight laugh at the comment about Summit being a smaller ship, no reflection on the poster. I remember when people swore they would never sail the Century when she was launched because they did not like big ships. Everything is relative.

Thanks for the review. We are heading to Bermuda in August for the first time, although it will be on the Grandeur of the Seas! I am a bit overwhelmed in the planning department, although I am slowly getting to where I have an idea as to what we want to do. So many choices and so little time! Thanks again.

Regarding formal nights (on our cruise on 6/14/15,anyway) I only saw 4 or 5 men in a tux. Pretty much everyone else, Suit or Jacket and tie. A few jacket no tie and VERY few no jacket or tie.

I have a question about the first day. The boat embarks at 4, we would like to get there and get settled and have lunch onboard before it leaves.

What time should we try to arrive at Port Liberty, we are parking in the port lot?

Thanks "Blambky" for your report on staff. Greatly appreciated.

You're welcome! I appreciate when others answer my questions....and I have had a few of them! [emoji6] And to the person wondering about boarding time. We left our hotel @10, took about 20 minutes to get there. We were on the ship by 11. It was nice and easy!

You're welcome! I appreciate when others answer my questions....and I have had a few of them! [emoji6] And to the person wondering about boarding time. We left our hotel @10, took about 20 minutes to get there. We were on the ship by 11. It was nice and easy!

We got there about 11 and were in the buffet 15 minutes later. Remember you will probably not get into your room until 1 or 1:30 so you will have to hold onto your carry on.

This is our first time traveling with Celebrity and we are Royal Caribbean cruisers can you offer a comparison of the two?

We heard there is little to do while at sea and it is very mellow, can you tell me about your days at sea?

Thanks Eddie

LOVED IT!!!!! Any questions about the cruise or Bermuda I'd be happy to answer.

Here are the most recent "dailies" posted for the Summit. Please note that this is before the current CD, Ken Mills, came aboard, but, based on our four cruises on the Summit, are reflective of the typical days aboard.

[url]http://www.the-hotline.net/Summit-Bermuda[/url]

We choose the Summit for convenience, the sea days and the relaxation. We cruise Royal with the kids (19 and 18) and Celebrity without. We love the sea days. I play ping pong, read, eat, drink and hold court over cigars and mojitos at the Sunset Bar or over wine at Cellar Masters. We get up when we want, sleep in as we choose and are blissfully apart from the quotidian BS.

As a contrast, I sailed the Quantum of the Seas in December from Cape Liberty. Thank God for the specialty restaurants, as I did not enjoy the "Dynamic Dining." Cellar Masters was awesome, however, as was the champagne bar below the North Star. Alas, the ship is now China-based and the Cellar Masters (which must have cost over a million dollars) has been ripped out to accommodate more shopping.