Special Things To Do

Vikstar

I'm taking my Mum on the Solstice in December. Apart from a few days here and there at the beach she has never had a real holiday, let a alone a cruise to international ports. I want her to have a great time and am looking for ideas on things we can do on the ship that are extra special. What are some of the things you've done that were really a highlight. I'm thinking of booking a ship tour if these are offered.

First thing that comes to mind is to visit the hot glass blowing demonstrations.

There will most likely be a free kitchen tour...watch for it on your daily events paper. But ask at guest services if there will be a bridge tour or any other tours of the ship. Sometimes they are free, sometimes they sell a "behind the scenes" package that visits many places on the ship you wouldn't normally see (including the bridge). Sometimes they don't offer any tours (this is rare though).

Also, try the "free" aqua spa cafe and mast grill for lunch.

For a fun and tasty late afternoon snack, try the sushi that's served in the buffet area starting at 5PM.....

Early in the cruise, there will be a demonstration of cooking by each of the specialty restaurants....fun to watch...usually fun to taste what they've prepared. Look for it on the daily schedule.

Edited by ghstudio

Oh my! How fun for her. I know I've been blessed to be able to travel fairly extensively from when I was a young child growing up through now at age 61.

The whole experience is going to be special for her, so let's just say that right at first.

Eat in all the specialty restaurants. That's a very special thing to do. You may get a package deal or discounts. We always consider that a part of the whole cruise experience. Yes, they're an additional cost but worth it to us.

Get on the internet and/or get some travel books and do a bit of research on the ports of call that you'll be going to. See what there is. Figure out what you'd like to see. Look at what the ship offers but then look at what you can do independently. Get on your roll call here on cruise critic and see what private excursions people are going to do.

I would advise against just getting off the ship and merely walking around the port on all your stops. Go *do* something!!! We've done and seen some amazing things in small group tours. We avoid a big bus filled with 50 people like the plague. Takes too long to load everyone in and out and you often can't see and hear things as well and there is really no flexibility like there is in a car or a small van with 6 people. You also likely will get more "bang for your buck" in a small independent tour - cheaper in many cases and more comprehensive.

I wish I could be a fly on the wall seeing your mom's face as she gets on board and has that ooh and aah moment around every turn, and as she steps off in each new port. Be sure and take pictures for her! Y'all are going to have a wonderful trip!!

I forgot to add that having breakfast delivered to your room is wonderful. We do it on all port days to save walking back and forth. It's really delightful out on your balcony, as you get ready for that day's adventure.

I love to look at the artwork on the ship. It's everywhere. On every stairwell, by every elevator, on all the walkways. Once on a sea day when we were crossing the Atlantic Ocean I spent a couple hours walking down every single hallway on every floor. Some of the things are so creative - they're not just paintings. Many are 3-D scenes and unusual pottery and textile pieces. Amazing! It's really easy to just walk by and not really notice it but if you do, you'll love it.

Sunset up in the Sky Lounge is lovely and the ambiance of Cafe al Bacio (the coffee shop) is great. All the food offerings there are free whether or not you purchase a fancy coffee or tea. I love the cookies, and get one almost every day to take with me.

One way we make our cruise special is to start off first thing with a relaxing moment. We never go to the buffet on day one when we get on. We eat in Bistro on Five for a $10 fee. They wait on you and you can have a lovely relaxing meal as you wait for your room to be ready. It's nice to relax there and not get into the hustle bustle of the buffet at Oceanview. The first day is always a bit hectic up there anyway, but add in the unfamiliarity with new cruisers AND their carry on luggage and it can be a real problem. Tables don't turn over very fast either as people sit and wait for their rooms there too.

If you don't want a pay restaurant then there's always the Mast Grill on the pool deck. Great burgers, fries, hot dogs - and it's quick. Not a lot of seating nearby but you can always take them elsewhere to sit. However, my "vote" is for Bistro on Five.

Join the roll call for your cruise and you will find a wealth of information on private tours for your ports of call. They are usually a lot cheaper than ship's tours and often have smaller groups. We are not a fan of the big bus tours and many of the private tours use mini vans and mini buses. The only time we consider ship's tours is in tender ports when they get off the ship first.

Take mum for ice cream in the Oceanview Cafe, they do really good ice cream on Celebrity.

Add another vote for the hot glass show too, some amazing craftsmen put on a great show for free.

First of all, you and your mother will have a wonderful trip! The Solstice is a beautiful ship. I agree with so many suggestions already offered: the hot glass show is amazing; Bistro on 5 is perfect for embarkation lunch as it is so much calmer than the buffet that day, the Solstice buffet with the various stations is great but go the first time when it is less hectic than embarkation day lunch; breakfast on your balcony is great on a sea day; Galley tour is wonderful. I love the "cirque" type show with the aerialists. I also love to take a book to the solarium (indoor) pool and read, even if not getting into the pool it is great.

Enjoy!

....... I'm thinking of booking a ship tour if these are offered.

Ship tours are offered on the first day.

That is a good way to learn your way around the ship for someone who is cruising on it for the first time, and it is helpful having a guide right there with you to answer your questions.

There is no charge to take the ship tour, which gives you an orientation to the public areas of the ship

(not to be confused with behind-the-scenes tours offered later, for which they charge a hefty fee).

When you board, there should be a copy of Celebrity Today in your cabin that should give the time for the ship tours that day and tell you where to meet.

If not, just ask at Guest Relations.

In addition to the free tours of the entire ship, they also offer free tours of the spa areas on the first day.

It can be interesting to take one just to see what they offer, even if you are not a spa person.

The Solstice has a very nice adult-only indoor pool that she may enjoy.

Just ask your stateroom attendant if you would like to have a water pitcher and ice bucket in your cabin. They are refilled twice each day when they service the room (or more often upon request).

Look for the room service door tags in your cabin.

You mark the items you want for breakfast the next morning and hang the tag on the outside of your door at night before you go to sleep.

Then in the morning, you receive a wake-up call on the telephone to let you know that breakfast is on its way, and you only need to slip into your bathrobe and open the door.

It is a wonderful way to start the day, even if you only want to order coffee or tea, especially nice if you have a balcony on which to enjoy it.