first time NCL/Dawn cruiser..eats advice please

auntiemjo

We have over 30 cruises completed but none on NCL. We head to Bermuda with my sister and her 4 kids (teens and a tween) last week in August. I am interested in all things food, particularly breakfast. Are there options other than the MDR and the buffet for breakfast? Seems I read that the smaller venues (specialty dining spots) are open too.

What is Carlo's bakeshop like?

Any thoughts on Cagney's? worth it?

How are the desserts?

Morning pastry? Croissants, muffins, etc. Any recommendations?

Seems the most highly discussed item is the pretzel roll. Is there anything else we shouldn't miss? From checking threads on a variety of topics there seems to be little written about the food itself. I realize emphasis is on fun in the sun and activities but I'd love to explore this a bit. Do you have a favorite item?

Thank you all.

quote.gif

As far as breakfast, the only option would be if you were staying in a suite. If so then the breakfast in Cagney's is available to you. If not then you just have the buffet, MDR or room service.

On the Dawn there is no actual Carlos Bake Shop. Some of his items are available in the Atrium Cafe. I have had much better at local bake shops so I don't think they are worth the price. Personal preference.

We found every dinning venue on the Dawn very good. The MDR's and the specialty restaurants. Pick what you are in the mood for each night and enjoy.

Breakfast food choices in the Garden Cafe' are too numerous to mention. The ones in the MDR, are the same every day. Omlets, pastry, cereals, ham, bacon, juices, coffee,----almost anything you might want. I'm not much of a big breakfast eater, so I'll order something close to what I have at home.

When I stayed in a suite, Cagneys served French Press Coffee.

I had nothing but bad experiences at the Blue Lagoon. I'd avoid it if I was taking the Dawn on my next cruise. Most days we ate breakfast either at the Venetian (the larger MDR) or the Garden Cafe.

Guest phd1003
I had nothing but bad experiences at the Blue Lagoon. I'd avoid it if I was taking the Dawn on my next cruise. Most days we ate breakfast either at the Venetian (the larger MDR) or the Garden Cafe.

Same here regarding Blue Lagoon on the Dawn however it wasn't bad when we last went on the Gem...I personally preferred the buffet for breakfast and Moderato was pretty good for dinner...

Same here regarding Blue Lagoon on the Dawn however it wasn't bad when we last went on the Gem...I personally preferred the buffet for breakfast and Moderato was pretty good for dinner...

It's an O'Sheehans on the Gem now. They'll be killing Blue Lagoon on the Dawn when she goes into Dry Dock.

Guest phd1003
On our last Dawn sailing Moderno had serve yourself breakfast . Fast and not crowded at all . ;)

Interesting...So it was another buffet? Similar to garden cafe or was it more cereal and fruit?

Interesting...So it was another buffet? Similar to garden cafe or was it more cereal and fruit?

Egg's potatoes,meat, are self serve. Servers brought coffee ,tea , bakery stuff . :D

Edited by biker@sea

Guest phd1003
Egg's potatoes,meat, are self serve. Servers brought coffee ,tea , bakery stuff . :D

Thanks for the heads up...Definitely going to be going there if its packed upstairs...