How Has HAL Changed?

Calgon1

Oh, yes. Horse racing was long gone before the cabanas made an appearance.

I can't recall any explanation for sending the horses to the glue factory; we just noticed they weren't there anymore.

There was a time when the Cruise Director had a staff of about 4, and the time (especially sea days) was filled with activities designed to bring passengers out and have fun together. The idea of providing activities where passengers could meet & spend time together was evident.

All of a sudden those things---horse racing among them---pretty much disappeared. It seemed to coincidental with a cut in cruise staff, and a focus on income producing activities.

Thanks. I remember the horse racing from our very first cruise on the old Noordam, but I kind of think it was gone by the late 90s. Of course, I guess you can't have those kinds of poolside activities without making some noise. And let's face it, some people are pretty fussy when it comes to announcements.

Ruth, did teams dress up and passengers could bet on which horse team won? That is how Princess did it and a great time was had by all.

I saw that happen only once; it was on a Grand Cruise.

People purchased their own horse, dressed it up, and paraded it around the ship with them---trying to drum up support for their team. We kept ours in the shower, as there was no room in the cabin for it.

On Race Day we dressed up, too, and the race was on. It was great fun. A child won (it was by applause). Remember the advice: Never appear with children or dogs if you want to be the star.

Most Horse Races weren't done that way, though. The six horses were brought out, and wagering began. The horses moved based on a roll of dice, and the winner paid out to those who bet on it.

Several races were held before the activity ended.

How about NO STABILIZERS. First HAL cruise was on the old Volendam in 1980. Came out of Bermuda headed to NYC in 30 ft seas. Not many people up and about. Waves higher than the promenade deck.

Now that was cruising. NOT. Reminded me of my days on a Navy Destroyer where we took a roll from 52 degrees on one side to 52 on the other side.

The Volendam was probably doing half of that with a lot of pitching up and down.

My first HAL cruise was in mid 1980 on the old Volendam. I learned what worshiping the porcelain god meant and swore I would never cruise again. Cruised her again out of New Orleans as one of the Commodore ships.

Most Horse Races weren't done that way, though. The six horses were brought out, and wagering began. The horses moved based on a roll of dice, and the winner paid out to those who bet on it. Several races were held before the activity ended.

Thanks for the explanation. I'd been trying to figure out how the actual race worked.

Ruth, did teams dress up and passengers could bet on which horse team won? That is how Princess did it and a great time was had by all.

Ah yes.....that was fun (on Princess).

There were regular horse races, then there was some sort of special "Owners Derby" or whatever they called it. The horses were auctioned off, and the owners were meant to decorate it with "their colors" and take it around the ship with them over a period of a day or two.

Once I befriended another kid whose parents had the winning horse. That's how I had my first taste of good champagne at an early age. :D

To try and make you feel better, Navybankerteacher, :) I'll start a list of positive changes to HAL:

Great mattresses

Flat Screen TV's and DVR players

Pinnacle Grill (rather than Odyssey and Marco Polo)

More of a 'station' arrangement in Lido

Any way You Want it Dining

Mariners Embarkation Lunch

Earlier Embarkation and cabins usually ready to be occupied

Staying in Cabins until Disembarkation Color/Number called

Half Moon Cay

Cabanas at HMC

More Caribbean ports

Grand Turk Carnival Playground

Elemis Products in bathrooms - not all would agree they like them but I do :)

Wine Packages - not all would agree they like them and I'm one that does not

Exploration Café

A good list, and I'm sure there are more -- not least being more veranda cabins available.

But for me, I'd happily give them all up (yes, all of them) to go back to the older style cruising with (to name a few):

-- More complex menus in the MDR (e.g., more courses, more complex dishes, etc.)

-- Smaller ships

-- More favorable staff/crew to passenger ratios

-- Real port lecturers on every cruise (not just lengthy or special cruises)

-- More live music onboard and more varied onboard activities offered

-- Fewer areas onboard ship reserved to a certain level of cruiser or for those who paid extra to use them

-- Less pushing of onboard revenue streams (leading to a more "all inclusive" feeling)

Perhaps it was just the wide-eyed enjoyment of being a child on my early cruises, but I can still get something of the same feeling from the smaller ships that are still sailing.

Ah yes.....that was fun (on Princess).

There were regular horse races, then there was some sort of special "Owners Derby" or whatever they called it. The horses were auctioned off, and the owners were meant to decorate it with "their colors" and take it around the ship with them over a period of a day or two.

Once I befriended another kid whose parents had the winning horse. That's how I had my first taste of good champagne at an early age. :D

What a fun and interesting post! BTW what was your age at the time? :D

Edited by qsuzi

Our first HAL cruise was in 1984 aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam 3. Since then we've accumulated around 140 HAL (actual) cruise days so we've seen some changes. I really miss having the bridge open for an hour twice a week. My last time up there I spent about an hour and a half. The other passengers were long gone but the crew let me stay for a while longer. I was quiet and respectful and having the time of my life. Those days are gone of course but I enjoy the operation of the ships more than the shows or other activities. Passengers were definitely better dressed and refined back then. We used to have cocktail parties with other guests and really got to make some friends. In our opinion, the ships have gotten way too large. To our way of thinking, the verandas are the best change from the older ships but that's about it. We were just looking over the Pinnacle Class Koningsdam literature and have decided that we'll never sail on her. She's just too big for our tastes. With Ryndam going and the other smaller ships sure to follow our days cruising with Holland America are numbered. In fact we're looking into other cruise lines and possibly a freighter cruise.

All of the above, especially live music. We enjoyed the strings in the atrium before dinner. There were beautiful embossed plates and cutlery, waiters had more time to be sociable, make the little Dutch hats or do origami and magic to entertain the kids. These days they are too busy. Overall the MDR service was more like the PG is today.

Zooming through space in the way back time machine, dining was more of an experience. I seem to recall they would serve us vegetables or sides at the table from a platter and make flambés, and ceasar salad and other dishes table side. That may have been Princess or Sitmar though. At The captains cocktail party, the capt. would introduce his staff and the CD staff and a large band would play so couples could waltz. There was a champagne tower in the atrium once.

Edited by guinnesshalfpint

Zooming through space in the way back time machine, dining was more of an experience. I seem to recall they would serve us vegetables or sides at the table from a platter and make flambés, and ceasar salad and other dishes table side. That may have been Princess or Sitmar though. At The captains cocktail party, the capt. would introduce his staff and the CD staff and a large band would play so couples could waltz. There was a champagne tower in the atrium once.

This sure sounds like Princess years ago (they still do the champagne tower). We are new to HAL so don't know if HAL also did this.

This sure sounds like Princess years ago (they still do the champagne tower). We are new to HAL so don't know if HAL also did this.

Yes I may have them confused. I was a teenager when I started cruising and at that time my folks sailed multiple lines. Now we only sail HAL.

The DAM dollars activities were always great fun.

The Daily Arts & Crafts classes were a great way of meeting other people on the cruise. After the first day, you normally had about 20 people you would greet about the ship.

I had forgotten the vegetables being served from a platter in the MDR.

I fondly remember the flambé dessert just about every night in the MDR. HAL always did a superb job with Bananas Foster! (That is the only flambé that I like. If there were extra bananas I could sometimes get it two nights in a row. It wouldn't be made tableside because Cherries Jubilee or something else would be on the menu, but I didn't care.)

The DAM dollars activities were always great fun.

The Daily Arts & Crafts classes were a great way of meeting other people on the cruise. After the first day, you normally had about 20 people you would greet about the ship.

I had forgotten the vegetables being served from a platter in the MDR.

I fondly remember the flambé dessert just about every night in the MDR. HAL always did a superb job with Bananas Foster! (That is the only flambé that I like. If there were extra bananas I could sometimes get it two nights in a row. It wouldn't be made tableside because Cherries Jubilee or something else would be on the menu, but I didn't care.)

Ah yes, I remember the steward would pass a tray with a selection of vegetables and would serve each of us our choice(s). Such fine service in those days. :)

DH often enjoyed the crepes suzette made table side. They then started doing them on the cart a short distance removed from the tables and then something that barely resembled those lovely flamed desserts started coming from the galley and then they were gone! They also passed trays of wonderful French pastries. Eclairs, Napoleans and the like.......

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks. I remember the horse racing from our very first cruise on the old Noordam, but I kind of think it was gone by the late 90s. Of course, I guess you can't have those kinds of poolside activities without making some noise. And let's face it, some people are pretty fussy when it comes to announcements.

Also,,,,,,, You can't have those kind of activities without Cruise Staff to organize and run them. Remember when the CD had a staff of 4-6 or so? All sorts of 'fun games'. :D

IMO it's not ungracious to complain.. I truly believe they should raise the cabin prices & bring back so many of the things they have done away with.. I keep track of all the per diem rates of our cruises..

$212.75 per night in 2013 as opposed to $267 per night in 1998..

That's crazy!!! ;) I say charge us more & bring back some of the refinements we've lost due to the low ball fares for inside & outside cabins.. ..

If you find even this crazy, in my opinion you can’t compare the catalogue fares, but have to take the real fares!

As an example, the 11day Mediterranean Cruise sailing from Barcelona today, HAL sold in Germany from 448 Euros (also a verandah was just slightly more than 700 Euro). Less the German sales-tax it is 376 Euros for a 11day cruise. The travel agency get’s about 50 Euros provision from HAL for this cruise (giving you 30 Euros / cabin onboard credit), so it is about 325 Euros for HAL including all port taxes and charges. If you subtract this port taxes, charges, provisions and the sales tax, you pay about 200 Euros for a 11day cruise, which means it is about $ 20 per night including the fuel and the food.

If the HAL managers calculate with this (frequently offered) minimum cruise fares, they have to economize everything possible. I know, that the „regular“ cruise fare for exactly this cruise was more than 2,400 USD (from 2199 Euros) if you booked it 1 year in front, but this difference is in large part the yield on shares (also by expanding the cruisline).

What do you expect for 20 Dollars a day including the fuel?

Simultaneously, such discount fares attract to a completely other sort of travellers, spending much less money on board.

But Princess and Cunard do exactly the same (all seems to want these discount-travellers) and HAL has to compete against them (also it is the same company).

The times have changed!

Edited by German Giant

Don't get me started. I have been going Celebrity for the past two years because HAL discontinued so many of the activities I loved participating in....ship building, Dam Dollars, etc. They need an activities staff.