What to do? What to do?

NightOne

I rescheduled the Breeze cruise one time. When I called to reschedule they basically cancelled my current cruise because of the fare rules and then said they could book the new one or I could book it myself when I was ready.

So does postponing one cruise sound like a lot of cancelling? :)

The reason I am concerned is because I friggin lost $300 doing that reschedule so I try to minimize the amount of money I can lose in the future. hahaha

Also, a follow up to those who think that ES deposits are not non-refundable, here is the info from Carnival's web site:

"A $50 change fee per guest will be assessed for ship and/or sail date changes made prior to final payment due date. Remaining funds are nonrefundable/nontransferable and will be held as a future cruise credit to be applied to your cruise fare on a sailing within 24 months from the date of cancellation. Unused portions are forfeited."

So the bottom line is that you can never get a refund on your deposit.

Wow! Just asking why because your already anticipating to reschedule next week. You don't have to quote the rules to me, I know them. I have booked ES multiple times and have been very happy with all my price adjustments. Good Luck!

I am really trying to understand ES. You are not really out that much money? It will be a future cruise credit, correct?

That's what I thought. They held my deposit until I booked another cruise and then I had them apply it to my cruise. You have to ask. They don't automatically apply it for you.

Wow! Just asking why because your already anticipating to reschedule next week. You don't have to quote the rules to me, I know them. I have booked ES multiple times and have been very happy with all my price adjustments. Good Luck!

Sorry, the quote was for the benefit of other readers of the thread and not directed at you. I should have put that in a separate post.

Wow! Just asking why because your already anticipating to reschedule next week.

I was referring to when I rescheduled earlier this year.

I totally hosed that whole reply up apparently. :)

So I called Carnival and just laid out truth just to see what they had to say.

They lady on the phone was a LOT more sympathetic than several of the posters here and did not admonish me about the rules but just explained what we all already know now. I told her people here said that it would auto-cancel in a week if the deposit was not brought up to full and she said it should be happen closer to 3-4 days instead of a week. (Basically, 48 hours after it processed through as not having the deposit brought up to full)

In any event, she offered to reverse the price drop and put it back just like it was before I monkeyed with it this morning so I said OK. She did and it is now back as it was before the price drop submission. Took her all of about 10 seconds to do it.

She cautioned any price drop requests in the future will eliminate the reduced deposit unless the new fare is also reduced deposit.

So now that I am back to square one I will re-iterate that non-refundable deposits as a requirement for the best fare still suck! :)

Problem resolved.

It says you can use the deposit on a future cruise booked within 24 months.

Has it been longer than 2 years?

On the cruise that I lost the $300 deposit on there was a $300 penalty for changes so I go nothing. :)

Apology accepted!

Good Luck!

Be careful booking/changing things! That fine print is a killer :)

Thanks for understanding. :)

Yes, I am not going to make anymore changes without doing a lot of checking BEFORE doing it. LOL

I rescheduled the Breeze cruise one time. When I called to reschedule they basically cancelled my current cruise because of the fare rules and then said they could book the new one or I could book it myself when I was ready.

So does postponing one cruise sound like a lot of cancelling? :)

The reason I am concerned is because I friggin lost $300 doing that reschedule so I try to minimize the amount of money I can lose in the future. hahaha

Also, a follow up to those who think that ES deposits are not non-refundable, here is the info from Carnival's web site:

"A $50 change fee per guest will be assessed for ship and/or sail date changes made prior to final payment due date. Remaining funds are nonrefundable/nontransferable and will be held as a future cruise credit to be applied to your cruise fare on a sailing within 24 months from the date of cancellation. Unused portions are forfeited."

So the bottom line is that you can never get a refund on your deposit.

I am confused by most of your posts... sorry... that being said, you are right, you cannot a refund on your deposit... however, speaking from experience here, if you have to cancel an Early Saver fare, you lose 50pp and the remainder of the deposit can be used on a future cruise within 24 months. You cannot use it as a deposit, but you can apply it to the balance. Anything over that is obc. Now... if you reschedule a cruise, they will, again.. speaking from experience here about a year ago, they will charge a 50pp administration fee to make the change,, and you can apply the balance towards a future cruise... basically the same costs... If i were you, I would call Carnival again.. sometimes you get people that don't know what they are talking about... I would call their guest services number... i'll have to look it up.. can't remember right off my head.. it seems like you should not be out so much money.

And as far as the snarky replies.. don't worry... it happens here all the time... personally, i think people should try to helpful... just ignore those replies and see what you can find out. If nothing else, try calling them several times.. many times, everyone you talk to will have a different answer.. good luck:D And it is really better to just ignore those replies... sometimes people don't let up...

Edited by cruzn buckeye

In an earlier post, you stated "For me, the part that I really dislike is that I have been through scenarios on Royal Caribbean where I had to reschedule and also got multiple price drops and at no time was any of my money at risk or non-refundable. (outside of final payment date of course)"

I am fairly certain, cruise for cruise, you also pay more on Royal Caribbean, correct? I am not being snarky here, just pointing out that while RC may be more flexible, they are also more expensive. You get what you pay for.

Good luck!

Brad

From what I have seen you are never going to see a fare below ES from final payment date until 2 days before sailing because they make all of those fares Guarantees which cannot be priced matched by people booked under ES.

So in a nutshell, the whole price protection until 2 days before sailing may sound good but never happens in reality and is yet another game they play.

Anyone ever get a price drop on ES fare between 2-75 days to non-guarantee fare?I do not think this ever happens (or does very rarely).

(I have heard about people complaining loudly and getting switched to the guarantee but never a price match and keeping the ES cabin)

I have received several price drops after final payment date.

Edited by Sparky2

So I called Carnival and just laid out truth just to see what they had to say.

They lady on the phone was a LOT more sympathetic than several of the posters here and did not admonish me about the rules but just explained what we all already know now. I told her people here said that it would auto-cancel in a week if the deposit was not brought up to full and she said it should be happen closer to 3-4 days instead of a week. (Basically, 48 hours after it processed through as not having the deposit brought up to full)

In any event, she offered to reverse the price drop and put it back just like it was before I monkeyed with it this morning so I said OK. She did and it is now back as it was before the price drop submission. Took her all of about 10 seconds to do it.

She cautioned any price drop requests in the future will eliminate the reduced deposit unless the new fare is also reduced deposit.

So now that I am back to square one I will re-iterate that non-refundable deposits as a requirement for the best fare still suck! :)

Problem resolved.

Happy for you that they did reverse your price drop back to the original booking with reduced deposit.

Thanks for understanding. :)

Yes, I am not going to make anymore changes without doing a lot of checking BEFORE doing it. LOL

Was this your first cruise? Even if it is not, this points out that it's a good idea to check with the cruise line or a reputable travel agent to get all the details before pulling the trigger. After reviewing post # 20, 2 things:

1) The special fare was a once in a while deal from Carnival where they reduced the deposit requirement and lowered the price in return.

2) Once you decided to change the date, it was not "Just changing the date", it is a cancellation to the cruise line.

3) I would have taken the discount, paid the deposit requirement, patted myself on the back for saving money, and make triple sure I get my self on that cruise! :D:D:D

I am very familiar with the pitfalls of early saver, but like the OP, I can't seem to learn my lesson either! If I were you, I would call and ask to have the original fare returned, and give up the price break. I am pretty sure that you can have them "undo" it. Goodluck!

I have cancelled two ES cruises....and have another booked! LOL

Kim

I am confused by most of your posts... sorry... that being said, you are right, you cannot a refund on your deposit... however, speaking from experience here, if you have to cancel an Early Saver fare, you lose 50pp and the remainder of the deposit can be used on a future cruise within 24 months. You cannot use it as a deposit, but you can apply it to the balance. Anything over that is obc. Now... if you reschedule a cruise, they will, again.. speaking from experience here about a year ago, they will charge a 50pp administration fee to make the change,, and you can apply the balance towards a future cruise... basically the same costs... If i were you, I would call Carnival again.. sometimes you get people that don't know what they are talking about... I would call their guest services number... i'll have to look it up.. can't remember right off my head.. it seems like you should not be out so much money.

And as far as the snarky replies.. don't worry... it happens here all the time... personally, i think people should try to helpful... just ignore those replies and see what you can find out. If nothing else, try calling them several times.. many times, everyone you talk to will have a different answer.. good luck:D And it is really better to just ignore those replies... sometimes people don't let up...

Post #20 in this thread gives the details on why I lost the $300. Basically, it was a special promo.

I have been on Cruise Critic a very very long time so unfortunately I am too familar with snarky replies. :)

In an earlier post, you stated "For me, the part that I really dislike is that I have been through scenarios on Royal Caribbean where I had to reschedule and also got multiple price drops and at no time was any of my money at risk or non-refundable. (outside of final payment date of course)"

I am fairly certain, cruise for cruise, you also pay more on Royal Caribbean, correct? I am not being snarky here, just pointing out that while RC may be more flexible, they are also more expensive. You get what you pay for.

Good luck!

Brad

Different ships, different amenities, and other things make it hard to place an exact value to each side by side but I generally agree with you that Carnival tends to have a lower price point. However, I have seen itineraries where Royal was the same or cheaper. (same port/itinerary)

Was this your first cruise? Even if it is not, this points out that it's a good idea to check with the cruise line or a reputable travel agent to get all the details before pulling the trigger. After reviewing post # 20, 2 things:

1) The special fare was a once in a while deal from Carnival where they reduced the deposit requirement and lowered the price in return.

2) Once you decided to change the date, it was not "Just changing the date", it is a cancellation to the cruise line.

3) I would have taken the discount, paid the deposit requirement, patted myself on the back for saving money, and make triple sure I get my self on that cruise! :D:D:D

1. Price for that cruise was very similar to the later available normal ES fare. Mine was $1159pp plus $25 or $50 OBC with a reduced deposit. The ES ended up being a straight $1139. So as you can see the promo gave me very little but hit me hard when cancelling it compared to the ES.

2. Cancel and book new one or change existing one is kind of the same thing but I get your point.

3. Things happen in life and sometimes they are out of your control.

On another note (and this is not directed at you) it is pretty easy for people on the internet to post and say too bad, oh well, etc etc. but when it is your $300 that goes down the drain then I bet you will be a little more sympathetic to others when it happens. ;)

I would love to hear the specifics/details on it.

My family of 3 cruised on the Splendor 4/5/2015 and booked Early Saver. After final payment there was a price drop that amounted to $280 in OBC for us. I called my PVP and had it taken care of. We had an Ocean suite and I checked daily for price adjustments. After all the suites were booked I stopped checking because you can't have price drops if there are no more of the same stateroom left.